me and wife newbie to hunting

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

me and wife newbie to hunting

Postby stolennitrous » Sun Dec 25, 2005 11:13 am

Hello ya'll! me and the wife want to start hunting. I havent hunted anything since I was a kid. we live in salem and want to start hunting ducks and deer and elk. I am buying a cheap boat in a week and want to start looking for spots to hunt and finding out from people where to hunt and whats the best stuff to use. we have 12 gauges... reminton with a 32 inch brigded barrel. thanks for any of ya'lls help.
stolennitrous
Newb

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Dec 25, 2005 2:29 pm

hey. sounds like you're ready to jump in with both feet. good for you and the missus.

sorry i can't be of much help for the hunting around the salem area. i don't really get down there much. i hear that they do some hunting in/on/or around the siletz...not sure what it all entails though.

hopefully some mid-staters can jump in here and give you some pointers.

welcome!!

:welcome:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby gracenjohn » Mon Dec 26, 2005 12:43 am

stolennitrous

Things are just starting to look up. There are a couple of places to put in a boat and have a good time.

First off, there are two working ferry landings, one north of Keizer on Wheatland Rd. (you can only get to the river in the early morning from the west salem side) And south of independence in Buena Vista (accessible from both sides of the river in the early am)

If you have terraserver or google earth, you can get a good view of the sloughs and back water areas. I have never hunted the stretch from independence to salem, so can't help there. The good thing is that you can get pretty close to Ankeny refuge down south, and there is a state park up north by the Wheatland ferry so you will definitely see the birds.

GET UP EARLY!!! Or better yet, sleep in.

The stretch between Albany and Independence seems to get quite a bit of action from the boats and there are a couple of greenways that see action from skyblasters. Good luck and I hope some other will chime in.

:welcome:
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting