Hold The Water Please.....

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Hold The Water Please.....

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:38 pm

OK!!! enough is enough... can we knock off the rain and let things settle down a bit.

anyone NOT have their hunting spots blown out this past week???
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby H.O.G » Sun Jan 01, 2006 8:37 pm

Well you can always head out to Sauvie, although it's kind of a win and lose situation out there. Most of the blinds are accesible, but most of the ducks have vanished.
H.O.G
hunter

glug glug glug

Postby gracenjohn » Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:14 pm

SP,

I'm with you. I went out scouting today and couldn't get to two of the spots due to high water on the roads. There might be some good hunts after the willamette river recedes, but I don't have a boat so.......

I'm thinking about an Ark though. :umm:
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 9:35 am

H.O.G wrote: Most of the blinds are accesible

man..the west side was UNDER water when i was out there saturday. Mud Lake was a boat only show. there was 5ft of water where the blinds used to be and the few blinds you could walk into had water so deep in front of them that putting out decoys wasn't happening without a boat.

i hear the east side units inside the dike are better..Deadwillow, Footbridge, etc.etc. not sure how they are shooting there, but at least you won't drown if you make a misstep.

going down the the lower river on thursday and see if i can't scare a few up...i might know a spot or two that will hold birds when the water is up like this.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby H.O.G » Mon Jan 02, 2006 1:17 pm

That's no good! I hunted the East side Saturday with no problem, but the ducks were no where to be found. I was planning on hunting the West side Thursday, hopefully the water will go down a bit.
H.O.G
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Jan 02, 2006 5:10 pm

yeah..good luck to ya on that. the Holman Point blinds were shooting alot, not sure if they were getting anything or just shooting, but it was activity anyway. you can walk into those.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Oregon Honker » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:10 pm

I was going to hunt Madras OR this weekend and it was the same way under water!! parts of down town was flooded Hwy 26 & 97 were closed for a while :eek:
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby H.O.G » Mon Jan 02, 2006 8:45 pm

thanks for the tip SP. Holman is the only spot I haven't tried on the west side. It pulled 51 birds last thursday so maybe they were getting some action saturday. What's the best way to hunt it? Lots of decoys, and are there actual blinds to hunt from? I would hate to walk all the way out there with more equipment than needed. Any suggestions would be great! :smile:
H.O.G
hunter

Postby tonynchessie » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:57 am

My spots are inaccesible. The water was too deep to set out decoys, where you can get to the water. I went out New Years eve and ended up getting in over my waders and loosing the tonal assembly for my Olt 66. I ordered a tonal assembly for a Sonderman in an attempt to not have to pay 80 bucks on Ebay for a new Olt. I was able to find some puddles to set my dekes in inland, but once I got all set-up I grabbed my call to lure some in and realized all I had was the body of my call. I have been frantically trying to find a back up call, because my brothers coming into town and wanting to go hunting. I was amazed at the lack of stock at Sportsmans. They had about 25% of there calls left and not one decoy weight. So off I go again to see if I can find a call.
tonynchessie
hunter

Postby hunter97051 » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:31 pm

i have a private lease in deer island, tide creek slough went over the bank and took better than 1/2 doz. dekes with it. :pissed: well i thaught is was nice to be able to leave them out. had to retrieve the remaining ones by boat. this pond is normally 4'-5' and i was running 12' ancor lines. maybe you guy's on the lower river will find them..... :toofunny:
"TAKE EM"!!! "TAKE EM"!!! MAN HOW DID YA MISS ALL THEM! THE DOGS LOOKIN PRETTY UPSET HE ONLY SHAKES OFF ON GUYS THAT MISS
hunter97051
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:08 pm

HOG - HP is normally a pass shooting event only as there is usually no water there and it boarders the refuge. with the water up however, i wouldn't hesitate to drag a few dzn dekes back there and set them up around your spot. in fact, that's probably the preferred way to go.

basically, you will be hunting in a bunch of flooded timber with a clear "lane" that the birds will use to move from the refuge to the east side areas. longer shots are the norm..so take a modified choke.

no blinds..but plenty of places to hide in your assigned "area".
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Water, water, water.

Postby bilwilcil » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:43 am

Last monday we went to the Lewis and Clark on the Columbia. Water was up about 12 feet or so from the area the week before. We tried to set our deeks but we could not even place them out far enough to be seen. That's OK because we saw no ducks anyway, not even in the pre-shooting time fly.
We also had two casualties of water in the waders.
Trying the North unit of Sauvies tomorrow.
bilwilcil
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting