SKY BLASTING...What happened to the real art of hunting?

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

SKY BLASTING...What happened to the real art of hunting?

Postby Fredg » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:42 pm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just recently hunted Sauvies again, I think for the last time this year or forever. Sure there are a lot of ducks out there but who cares when real hunting skills aren't needed. My gun too holds 3 1/2 inch shells, but that does not mean I'm shooting duck 60 yards out just flying by. Why even put out decoys if you aren't even going to use them? I'm tiered of the sky blasting, it just ruins it for everyone. There are more sketchy ducks out there than ever. Every time sky blasting occours you just make the ducks affraid, because you miss most of the time and those ducks that are not folded they fly away with a new found appreciation for death. What happened to calling and luring ducks into YOUR blind and folding them when they are cupped and coming in? That is real hunting, acctually fooling the ducks into believing that your calls and spread look and sound real so that they want to socialize with your deeks. And those ducks you shoot at are hopefuly dead, not flying around like they just drank 10 Red Bulls. My other hunting spot is not as great. I have to actually walk out to my blind and set it up. There may be days I don't see any ducks or get any shots off. But when I coax some ducks into my spread, and they commit and I fold some ducks, there is no better feeling. I've also hunted several times out in Umatilla. In every set up blind there is a sign saying "NO SKY BLASTING ALLOWED", and only 25 shells are allowed. I don't know howmany times I'm out at Sauvies and they guys next to me are just going through boxes of shells with little success. What happened to the true art of hunting? Who is teaching their children that this is the right way to hunt, if I had children I would teach them the true way to hunt. With respect.
Fredg
hunter

Postby JC Ducker » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:39 pm

I have been viewing this site for a couple of weeks now. I enjoy reading what everybody has to say. After reading your "skybuster" topic, I felt compelled to join the chat. I live in Eugene and hunt the Fern Ridge area quite a bit since it is close to me. The lake and wildlife areas hold a lot of birds at times. The hunting can be great at times---with the exception of any Saturday, Sunday or holiday that the "skybusters" are out. I pack 4 dozen decoys out, set up well before shooting hours, hide well and call very good. The minutes before legal shooting time, all this work seems so worth while and I'm soooooo excited about the birds flying around, answering my calls and landing in the decoys....then.....the kazoos sound off and any bird breaking the 150 yard ceiling gets shot at repeatedly, teaching them to stay high and head to the fields. It's good to hear other people feel the same. Guess all we can do is try and educate the "skybusters" about real hunting...
JC Ducker
Newb

Postby Oregon Honker » Tue Jan 03, 2006 10:08 pm

Eastern Oregon is just as bad im sure since the high water in the valley everybody will star comming up here i sure hope it gets cold again i hunt privite land but the skybusters on the columbia and mc cormack still schoo; the birds :cool:
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Jan 03, 2006 11:20 pm

I LOVE YOU GUYS!!!!! :salude:

Fred and Timmy...thanks for speaking up and i couldn't agree with you more.

Fred - your comment about not needing any real hunting skills at SI is DEAD ON!!! i have hunted there quite regularly for the seasons prior to this year and yeah...i couldn't agree with you more. i went out there one day earlier this season and spent more time laughing than hunting. the sheer idiocy out there amazes me. i can't believe i never realized it sooner. I will say that it is a good opportunity to shoot some birds for people that are new to the sport or perhaps do not have the means to hunt anywhere else. it's just a shame the it gets ruined by the vast numbers of idiots.

Timmy - i can sum up why i like you in one word. "kazoos". too dang funny brutha.

hope you both stick around...check out the Honey Hole forum as that is where alot of the main discussions happen and you will meet some great folks from across the continent (and from other continents) there.

:welcome:

:salude:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby jmike » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:51 am

Rite on my brothers............Sauvies can be a real joke ......I cant complaine too much ...we have been there 3 times this season and limited each trip.......if you want the birds to commit out ther you need to use a ton of deks we go with no less than 10 doz .....it really helps ..and dont go home early....the shoot dosnt really start till 10:00 out there......................let all the slappys jack around then bid your time ....jmike
dont shoot till there feet are down
jmike
hunter

Postby H.O.G » Wed Jan 04, 2006 1:34 pm

I agree 100 %!! It seems every trip out there recently I have been next to some guys taking shots that require a rifle and scope. It is very frustrating! I wouldn't even call what I've witnessed skybusting, at least with skybusting you still have a slight chance of hitting something!
H.O.G
hunter

the blasting of sky

Postby gracenjohn » Wed Jan 04, 2006 10:48 pm

WOW! And I thought Summer Lake was a joke on opening day. I am glad I met SP there and was able to eavesdrop on some of his storytelling. I was looking at trying to make a trip up from Salem on the Sunday of MLK weekend, but am thinking twice about it. We would really like to see feet down and birds working the dekes........so I take it we should look else where :umm:

Thanks for the input everyone.

John
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

Hunter Ethics

Postby Fredg » Thu Jan 05, 2006 1:56 am

Sorry to keep harping on this but I was checking out Connecticuts Water Fowl Guide, I used to live there, and this was in it. I wish Oregon had the same thoughts, and I wish Sauvies would stress numbers 6,7 and 8.

Hunter Ethics: As Connecticut becomes more urbanized, a smaller percentage of our population participates in hunting, and is familiar with the traditions and values associated with hunting. The image that individual hunters portray to the non-hunting community is often the image that is placed upon the hunting community as a whole. Thus, the way hunters present themselves to the public is very important to the future of the hunting tradition.

Due to the high visibility areas that some waterfowlers use, particularly along the coast, it is imperative that hunters maintain the highest integrity and remain responsible while out in the field. Conducting oneself in an ethical and responsible manner includes:

1 Respect property and landowners. Always obtain permission to hunt on private land - this is a legal requirement in Connecticut.
2 Know and obey the laws.
3 Hunt safely. Shoot in a safe direction. Treat all guns as loaded. Always dress appropriately and be prepared for changes in the weather.
4 Avoid potential conflicts with non-hunters.
5 Respect the environment and wildlife.
6 Don't "skybust." Calling waterfowl in to appropriate gun range is one of the greatest challenges and rewards of waterfowling.
7 Don't shoot ducks on the water.
8 If a nearby hunting party is working birds, don't try and call those birds to you.
No Folding Until The Feet Are Down

Fred G
Bob

God Bless Chuck Heston
Fredg
hunter

Postby JC Ducker » Thu Jan 05, 2006 10:20 am

OK, here's the question....how do we deal with skybusters? Continue as-is? Quit hunting wildlife areas that can and should be good hunting places? Join a club and pay a lot of $$$? Try and get the rules changed at these refuges? I've thought a lot about this, but don't have the answer. What do other real hunters think??
JC Ducker
Newb

fixes

Postby gracenjohn » Thu Jan 05, 2006 9:43 pm

25 shells per hunter :cool:

2 3/4" shells only? :hammering:

now THAT would do the trick.
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

how about education?

Postby Fredg » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:26 am

What if places like Sauvies were to educate hunters. When you are checking in you are informed of the rules. A simple form that you have to read and sign, like on the back of your harvest card. Or when you buy your license something along the lines of the HIP test. And what about hunters educating hunters? I don't know the answers, but something has to be done because hunting at Sauvies just plain sucks.

Fred G
Bob

God Bless Chuck Heston
Fredg
hunter

no more

Postby goosecaller dude » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:44 am

There is a club in the klamath area that only shoot 20 ga and in your face shooting only, if people wern't so blind and stoped busting the birds wouldn't be so damn smart. they would do so much better. I let more fly by I like to see if I can get them to drop feet before I shoot. I've been hunting birds for 28 yrs or so, shot a bunch now I have fun, If I go home empty so what had fun trying and was away. want to try up north live in medford area, went to fern ridge eary in season no birds, looking Roseburg north, east, west, Tired of klamath ,driving over 140 and snow gets old, local same spots. bnored any info welcomed. Thanks
goosecaller dude
hunter

Postby C_DUbb » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:38 am

I think if you realy want to end this, put some pressure on the authorities.
Get ODFW involved.

But then you might get something out of it that you realy didnt want.

My thoughts
C DUbb
Callem in your face close!!
And
Do em
UGLY!!!
C_DUbb
hunter

Postby H.O.G » Fri Jan 06, 2006 2:11 pm

It would be nice to see a change, but the problem is is that there are only opinions as to what is the right way to hunt. As far as Oregon's hunting laws are concerned all you need to hunt ducks is a couple of stamps and a license. Sauvie can make some new rules, but it will only change those who hunt there, I think Oregon needs to change it's laws. You have to pass a Goose identification class before you can hunt them so why not some sort of a duck ethics class. That goose class has detered a lot of guys from hunting geese, so maybe a duck class might weed out a few of the knuckle heads.

Just my opinion
H.O.G
hunter

Postby JC Ducker » Fri Jan 06, 2006 4:25 pm

All these ideas seem like good steps to the solutions. Having some regulations for these wildlife/hunting areas would help weed out the guys who just want to show up 5 minutes before legal shooting areas and skybust. How would we go about getting the rule makers to listen to this complaint and some possible solutions? After all, they've set up these areas and have some regulations in affect already.
JC Ducker
Newb

think

Postby goosecaller dude » Sat Jan 07, 2006 12:00 am

Better think about this the feds want to stop all hunting on refuges, you might think different but think. around the klamath area they have removed or bought out farmers with help of conservation org's and turned all the property to "natural Habitat" well the birds that use to land on these ranches to feed. now land south a stateline or on the cal. side of lower klamath. mommy duck and goose tought baby to feed on grains not tumbleweeds and star thistle. so I would suggest that we the proper hunters talk to and not yell at the idiots that bust and teach them different they don't know any better and don't know that it is more exciting to get a bird to decoy then fly by and they might get one. I invited him in on my decoys he didn't have any and he also showed up right at shoot time. I showed him the ropes and now he hunts not just shoots :thumbsup:
goosecaller dude
hunter

Posting this chat

Postby bilwilcil » Mon Jan 09, 2006 12:46 am

I'm going to print and post this chat on the check station bulletin board tomorrow after hunting the North Unit at Sauvies.
If you happen to be by there point it out to all the hunters standing around.
bilwilcil
hunter

Postby Fredg » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:05 pm

Well I did it, I went back to Sauvies again today. My other spot is under 12 feet of water so we said what the heck. Skybusting galor out there. Guys across from us were skybusting sets of fours and maybe folding one. Shame. Me and Bob could not even get off any shots. It was a beautiful day though and the geese sure were pretty.

Fred G
Bob

God Bless Chuck Heston
Fredg
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting