Summer lake reports

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Summer lake reports

Postby quackerbacker » Thu Nov 11, 2004 11:56 pm

I am going over there Saturday to do some duck hunting. I was wondering if anyone has been hunting? If so how did you do and Where are the birds?
If it flies it dies
quackerbacker
hunter

Postby dub_valley_or » Thu Dec 16, 2004 2:37 am

I have never been to summer lake but I am planing a trip within the next few weeks. do any of you have suggestions. Will it be overly crowded the next few weeks?
get out there every possible morning
dub_valley_or
hunter

its gonna be cold!

Postby gracenjohn » Thu Dec 16, 2004 11:35 pm

call ahead to get the bird numbers and find out how much open water there is. If you get the right guy, they may be able to point you in the right direction. best of luck.
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

Postby dub_valley_or » Mon Dec 20, 2004 4:57 pm

I just got back from summer lake, the birds are getting smart. They are staying out on the lake away from all the hunters. The weather was spectaular, a bit cold though. good trip but not alot of shooting.
get out there every possible morning
dub_valley_or
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:38 am

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/GB/main.html

that should help out a bit. it's not "real time" info, but close enough. i wish ODFW would stay on top of that site a little more and keep it up to date. sometimes it can be waaaaay behind.

as for summer lake. OMFG. ok, who has been there for their opener? i experienced it for the first time this year. it is impossible to fully explain the madness, but i'll give it a try.

Friday early AM : drive for 5 hours and arrive around 7am, as per instructed, in order to secure campsite. get the feeling we got there too early as we were probably only one of 10 rigs in the whole area. 5 of them belonged to our party.

Friday early afternoon : go scouting. spend lots of time glassing the marsh looking for places the ducks want to be. finally decide on a spot about a mile out. look for landmarks to help us get there in the dark. arrive back at camp and notice that the campground is almost full. i guess getting in early was a good idea afterall.

Friday evening : eat dinner, BS around the fire, go to sleep early. 3am comes quick. campground is at or over capacity now..really glad we got here early.

Saturday somtime around 1 AM : jackasses arrive and set up tent 5 feet from our trailer. build big fire, get really drunk (or perhaps they ariived that way) and proceed to yell at other drunk jackasses in the campground. someone threatens to kick various parts of someone else's anatomy...i think i just heard a shotgun cycle. great.

Saturday 3 AM : wake up....ready to hunt. man this is going to be great. drunk jackasses are all passed out now. probably won't make it into the marsh today. eat breakfast, load up, hike out to our "spot", set up. only 2 more hours until shoot time...start seeing long streams of headlights spilling out of the campgrounds. too bad suckers...we're here first.

Saturday 45 minutes to shoot time and counting : flashlights all over the marsh..looks like fireflies. not many coming out to where we are though. can hear dogs, people, people yelling at dogs, people yelling at people....no matter though. they aren't near us. i am used to public hunting. hell., i hunt Sauvie Island...i can deal with this. a groupf guys are heading our way...they see our light and move off a respectabe distance after asking permission to wade through "our" spot. nice guys...see, this won't be that bad.

Saturday 30 minutes to shoot time : birds all over the place. working in and landing in the dekes. can't keep them out of here..everything is working perfect. birds are going to die..they will all have bands..we will limit out in 15 minutes...nobody can miss these shots...

Saturday 10 minutes to shoot time : strange dog runs into our blind. where did he come from. he looks scared and would just as soon stay with us. i stand up and take the dog out to find it's owner(s). find owner about 100 yards away..they look lost, probably hung over. i return the dog, give them a brief overview of where people are hunting and where is still available. they follow me back to our blind, look at our spread and proceed to walk down and stand 20 yards below our dekes.

SHOTS FIRED!! hey...it's still 10 minutes to go.

WWIII starts....never in my life have i heard so much gunfire and i have hunted a lot of dove openers in arizona. still 5 minutes to shoot time and the birds are already flying at 50 + yards high.

what follows for the next 3 hours in non-stop skybusting, and i mean REAL skybusting. 60 to 80 yards is a close shot. if it flies, it is getting shot at. people are shooting at ducks, geese, swans, cranes, coots, snipe, each other, well...you get the idea.

Saturday 10 AM : it seems to be over...the shooting is sporadic. we have 9 birds for 3 people. the weenies that cut us off had a great day. people spill out of the marsh and head back to camp.

Saturday Evening : good times around the campfire. people are leaving...the campground is at about 3/4 capacity.

Sunday AM: get up and take a walk down the dike to do some pass shooting. no reason for decoys in this place. people are still leaving....but some still go out for an AM hunt. 2 miles of Dike to shoot from, but of course the only other group besides ours has to stand 15 feet away from us. naturally, they are shooting that everything that flies...including anything that flies over us.

Sunday Noon : pack up and leave. I'll never complain about Sauvie Island again.

on a side note...i will go again, but for the fun of the trip and hanging out with the boys. i'll never consider it a "serious" hunt.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

summer lake

Postby gracenjohn » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:15 pm

that sounds just about right for the course of things. You must have hunted out the end of Bullgate? The shooting usually starts early out there. Last year we hunted the second weekend and had a great time. The friday night hunt was great and the saturday morning was great with lots of hunting pressure keeping the birds moving. Same thing this year. The opening day is fun, but not really a hunt, just a big pass shoot.

john
thanks be to God
gracenjohn
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Dec 21, 2004 7:02 pm

hmmm...wasn't bullgate. i don't remember too many names of the places down there. like i said, i was only there that one time. i think we walked out of the south entrance..or something like that. i am pretty sure it had "south" in the name. it was just a parking lot and an entrance into the marsh.

i wouldn't mind taking a stab at that place maybe a week or two after the season opener. the birds are certainly there and were very willing to decoy. even after they had been shot at all morning long. maybe when my boy get old enough to hunt i'll make a family trip down there for 3 or 4 days.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting