Sauvies island

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

Sauvies island

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Wed Jun 20, 2012 10:21 pm

I am not a noob to duck hunting. However I have not really been introduced into public land hunting. This last year was frustrating as hell with no birds whatsoever in the sky where I hunt so I was wanting to get more into it. I was just wondering if sauvies is as really as big of a cluster f$@! as everybody leads me to believe. It's just frustrating when you have a max of four flyovers in one day but you can get every single one into the spread.
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Re: Sauvies island

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Jun 23, 2012 1:37 am

Yes! :yes:
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:57 pm

Simple answer. Yes. It is a cluster f***. However, there are a lot of birds shot out there and if you go in and play "the game" with the right mind set then you can have some good days. If you are going out there expecting anything other than having people shooting all around you, then you are better off staying at home or going elsewhere as you are just going to be in for a long miserable day.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby andymac32 » Sun Jun 24, 2012 11:06 pm

Like everyone said....Its generally a cluster f&^*.

But once you've spent enough time there and figured out what units produce best in certain weather conditions. You can kill birds. Theres always gonna be someone shooting at ducks 100 yards a way or calling ducks with a kazoo but it makes for a good laugh most of the time.
andymac32
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Sat Jun 30, 2012 9:34 pm

What about fern ridge? Ive been looking into it and it seems to have good habitat but I have a few questions. 1: do you have to draw for a blind? and if you do, is there a chance you couldn’t get to hunt that day or just have a crappy blind. I would hate to drive all the way to eugene from canby and not get to hunt.
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Sun Jul 01, 2012 2:44 am

wetgoldenretriever wrote:What about fern ridge? Ive been looking into it and it seems to have good habitat but I have a few questions. 1: do you have to draw for a blind? and if you do, is there a chance you couldn’t get to hunt that day or just have a crappy blind. I would hate to drive all the way to eugene from canby and not get to hunt.

It would be in your best interest to put in for a blind. You could go stand-bye and hope to pick up an empty blind however chances are slim already and you wouldn't be getting a great blind...so if you're making a long drive, you may as well go with SI. Some units are free-range, meaning that there are no set blinds and are open until 1pm. Those units are still hit or miss for birds. It can be good if you know where to set up or how far to go out, but like I said Sauvie's Island may be the better option if a long drive is required.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby Tipsntails7 » Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:58 pm

If you have never hunted there before you are in for a real TREAT! It's confusing there's people everywhere dogs and carts running willy nilly at the check stations and there's a 90 percent chance you will get water swatted, all that being said there's Nothing like it in this world. The days u can have out there make it all worth it. My advice is go with someone that has hunted there ALOT. I moved to Nor Cal for work 2 years ago hunted it last December and was lost all over again. duck habits and habitats change quick, scout scout scout.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby Chuck6565 » Thu Jul 26, 2012 11:52 am

Fern Ridge is also a cluster *$^@*# on the public side. On the reservation side it can be pretty good depending on the weather.
You used to have to go out and draw a poker chip for the order of the draw and hope for the best. Now they do it by computer and you know which pick number you will have. A lot of people just dont show up if they have a draw higher than six or so.
You can go to ODFW.com and check out the hunt results for the season by blind. But,its a crapshoot at best. Good luck !
Chuck6565
Newb

Postby njonesy_07 » Fri Jul 27, 2012 1:40 am

Chuck6565 wrote:Fern Ridge is also a cluster *$^@*# on the public side. On the reservation side it can be pretty good depending on the weather.
You used to have to go out and draw a poker chip for the order of the draw and hope for the best. Now they do it by computer and you know which pick number you will have. A lot of people just dont show up if they have a draw higher than six or so.
You can go to ODFW.com and check out the hunt results for the season by blind. But,its a crapshoot at best. Good luck !

In general, that is a good summary of what I've seen as well.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby kp110477 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:55 am

New to the site, new to Oregon (moved to Portland from Alabama in March), and new to duck hunting (couple hunts in Texas and Az)... please excuse my ignorance, but what does being "water swatted" mean? Thanks for your patience
kp110477
Newb

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:40 am

kp110477 wrote:New to the site, new to Oregon (moved to Portland from Alabama in March), and new to duck hunting (couple hunts in Texas and Az)... please excuse my ignorance, but what does being "water swatted" mean? Thanks for your patience

In this case, it means getting hit with the pellets from another hunters load.
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:33 am

this is a little embarassing I admit, but how exactly does the draw system work?
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby sparelink » Tue Jul 31, 2012 10:06 am

wetgoldenretriever wrote:this is a little embarassing I admit, but how exactly does the draw system work?

The drawing starts a 90 minutes before shooting light, everyone gets there early and forms a long line, then they come through with a bag full of poker chips and each hunter get to draw one. low number get first pick.
sparelink
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Jul 31, 2012 11:06 am

wetgoldenretriever wrote:this is a little embarassing I admit, but how exactly does the draw system work?

I am assuming you are talking about SI WMA, since that was where the original question was about. In regards to the west side, the above answer from sparelink applies. With regard to eastside, you put in for the draw just like a deer tag( online or POS). Go to the bird regs (when it comes out) and there will be a section for hunt days available. You are allowed a single reservation per hunt period(ie. A,B,C etc). You also are allowed to put a 2nd,3rd,4th, and 5th choice for if there are choices left undrawn after all first choice draws are complete.

The blinds or choices, in each hunt unit, are picked in the order that reservation holders come to the window. So the eastside is sort of a combination of draw and first come first serve.

Also, on the eastside, after all the people are done with the reservation hunts, the left over spots are up for grabs. These leftover spots go to the people in the "sweat line" on a first come first serve system. In this line, people camp out for as much as 2-3 days, depending on recent hunt results. It is not uncommon to see a vehicle at the head of this line in a motorhome or some sort of RV, at the end of a hunt day, waiting for the next hunt day.

I know it sounds a little confusing but, it isn't as confusing as it sounds.

The tough part would be deciding your first choice picks if you have never been there. Different units hunt considerably different, depneding on the timing of the season, weather, and the general bird patterns/numbers from year to year.
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby andymac32 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 11:10 pm

QH's paw hit the nail on the head....

Once the season starts go out there with the mindset of just getting acllamated and bs with the guys working the checkstation. Many times they're very helpful and can point you in the right direction.

Another piece of advice, on your first time out there hunting. Wait till its light enough to see what your doing before you leave the parking lot for your hunt. Dont go aimlessly wandering out into the dark with no clue where the hell you're at. Ive seen guys out there miles away from where there supposed to be. Ruining there day and everyone elses as well. You're gonna miss out on some birds most likely, but you will be able to SEE! And its a good way to get your bearings.

Heck, ill get a little turned around on occasion and ive been hunting out there for 17 seasons.
andymac32
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Thu Aug 02, 2012 12:10 am

So is there a chance that you would not get to hunt at all some days or could you just get a crappy blind?
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Aug 02, 2012 4:44 am

wetgoldenretriever wrote:So is there a chance that you would not get to hunt at all some days or could you just get a crappy blind?

Yes, there is a possibility you won't get a pick or won't want what is left if you are way back in line on a busy day. The thing is, when they are seeing that kind of busy day, there will be guys done early in the better blinds. So, if you don't get a pick or, don't want what is left to pick from, you put your name on a waiting list and as people come out the person at the top of the list gets first pick(if they are still there). They just go down the list as the day goes by.
There are alot of guys that take off and go to breakfast right at the beginning of the day.
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby andymac32 » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:23 pm

QH's Paw wrote:
wetgoldenretriever wrote:So is there a chance that you would not get to hunt at all some days or could you just get a crappy blind?

Yes, there is a possibility you won't get a pick or won't want what is left if you are way back in line on a busy day. The thing is, when they are seeing that kind of busy day, there will be guys done early in the better blinds. So, if you don't get a pick or, don't want what is left to pick from, you put your name on a waiting list and as people come out the person at the top of the list gets first pick(if they are still there). They just go down the list as the day goes by.
There are alot of guys that take off and go to breakfast right at the beginning of the day.

To add to that, a lot of guys will draw a chip on the westside and if they draw a high number they'll haul ass over to the eastside and get in the "sweat" line. Your chances of getting a good blind are slim this way but like QH said, put your name on the list then go get breakfast and come back. If its a good day you'll stand a good chance of getting a decent blind.
andymac32
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:18 am

I know I know. I ask way too many questions but is there any good hunting in silt coos lake we have access to a cabin at tenmile lake which is about 15 min away
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:59 am

Mud Hens a blast. Blinds are like a 100 yards a part and when a duck swings all the blinds fire. The guys with the 3-1/2" BB's usually do pretty well. The non-broke dogs will retrieve everyones birds assuring you will have a lot of walking to do when you have to go and get it. They also remove the leg bands for you as well. It's a nice gesture. :eek:
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:26 pm

wetgoldenretriever wrote:I know I know. I ask way too many questions but is there any good hunting in silt coos lake we have access to a cabin at tenmile lake which is about 15 min away

Now you're just coming across as needy and internet scouting. :lol:
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:23 pm

:lol3: ha I'm not asking which blind you hunt or any of your tactics, I was just asking if those places are crowded or have a crappy amount of birds. I will scout them myself if they are worth it. I was just trying to get into sme more public land which I have had almost no experience with, so forgive me if I come across as curious as to a place I could get a good start.
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:53 pm

Well, since you refuse to quit internet scouting, just take my previous post as my way of saying I don't know squat about Siltcoos or, maybe, I am being tightlipped to protect some of the hottest wing cupping action on the Oregon Coast. I'll let you decide. It's free advice and you may just get exactly what you pay for. :yes: :yes: :beer: :beer:
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Sat Aug 11, 2012 4:23 pm

Thank you for your help everybody . I am going to try sauvies a few times this year during a weekday to give it a try and am hoping to have good results. I also might try silt coos a few times too. And I'm gonna scout it next week.
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:33 pm

wetgoldenretriever wrote:Thank you for your help everybody . I am going to try sauvies a few times this year during a weekday to give it a try and am hoping to have good results. I also might try silt coos a few times too. And I'm gonna scout it next week.

If you post up here before your SI hunts, you might get someone to meet up and pull chips with you. Lot's of guys do that on this forum and the other local forum too. :thumbsup:
QH's Paw
hunter

Next

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting