Sauvies island

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Re: Sauvies island

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:49 pm

will do :thumbsup:
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
User avatar
wetgoldenretriever
hunter
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: The willamette valley


Re: Sauvies island

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Aug 19, 2012 1:36 pm

wetgoldenretriever wrote:So is there a chance that you would not get to hunt at all some days or could you just get a crappy blind?


Yeah, that happens a lot especially if you are pulling chips by yourself. If it's your first few times out there though I do recommend at least going out to some sort of blind instead of not hunting at all. You tend to learn your way around the WMA that way and also get a feel for how things go out there. And sometimes....just sometimes..you end up on a traditionally crappy blind/unit that ends up being just lights out shooting on that day. That has happened to me quite a few times actually. I've been on Steelman #7 staring at the sky thinking about lunch all morning when the teal arrived in force. Something about Steelman #7 that those teal really like and it turned into a blaze of shooting until i got my 7. It was hot for a few more shoot days (teal) until they moved on and it went back to being dead. Shot a limit of greenheads on Steelman #9 on opening day 5-6 years ago. It was the last blind on the board (i had chip # 150 something-or-other) and lots of people left to the eastside or just passed on it before I got there. I barely made it out to the blind before shoot light, in fact, It was shoot light when I got there and I tossed like 6 dekes out real fast and ducked into the grass. I had 6 before the hour was up and stuck it out for a few more hours, passing on a couple of other ducks, until I got my 7th greenie. I went back to the checkstation thinking everyone must have just lit it up.. nope. All the folks from Mud Lake were still at the check station griping about how slow it was etc. etc. etc. Jaws dropped when I told the folks I had 7 mallards. Had some good shoots on some other traditionally bad blinds as well over the years. Most days the slow blinds are slow, but sometimes...just sometimes..you end up the talk of the westside for the day. :)
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
User avatar
Swamp Puppy
hunter
 
Posts: 3947
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:58 pm
Location: Warren, Oregon

Re: Sauvies island

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Mon Aug 20, 2012 6:35 pm

Really hoping we get some rain early this year, but i think i might try some of the wma’s out anyway... im hoping i dont get shot indaface.
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
User avatar
wetgoldenretriever
hunter
 
Posts: 309
Joined: Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:42 pm
Location: The willamette valley

Re: Sauvies island

Postby tealdog » Sat Aug 25, 2012 11:25 pm

QH's Paw wrote:
wetgoldenretriever wrote:Thank you for your help everybody . I am going to try sauvies a few times this year during a weekday to give it a try and am hoping to have good results. I also might try silt coos a few times too. And I'm gonna scout it next week.

If you post up here before your SI hunts, you might get someone to meet up and pull chips with you. Lot's of guys do that on this forum and the other local forum too. :thumbsup:


And if your really lucky you can hook up with the I fish crew and screw everyone who's out of the loop :hammer:
User avatar
tealdog
hunter
 
Posts: 94
Joined: Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:31 pm
Location: scouting, it's all about the scouting

Re: Sauvies island

Postby Tealer » Sun Aug 26, 2012 3:15 pm

tealdog wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:
wetgoldenretriever wrote:Thank you for your help everybody . I am going to try sauvies a few times this year during a weekday to give it a try and am hoping to have good results. I also might try silt coos a few times too. And I'm gonna scout it next week.

If you post up here before your SI hunts, you might get someone to meet up and pull chips with you. Lot's of guys do that on this forum and the other local forum too. :thumbsup:


And if your really lucky you can hook up with the I fish crew and screw everyone who's out of the loop :hammer:


Huh? How can you screw someone at sauvies? Let alone from Ifish?
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot
 
Posts: 6032
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:41 am
Location: Along the Columbia

Re: Sauvies island

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Aug 27, 2012 1:28 pm

tealdog wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:
wetgoldenretriever wrote:Thank you for your help everybody . I am going to try sauvies a few times this year during a weekday to give it a try and am hoping to have good results. I also might try silt coos a few times too. And I'm gonna scout it next week.

If you post up here before your SI hunts, you might get someone to meet up and pull chips with you. Lot's of guys do that on this forum and the other local forum too. :thumbsup:


And if your really lucky you can hook up with the I fish crew and screw everyone who's out of the loop :hammer:

Not sure what you're really trying to say here. Only 4 people per blind, regardless of where they met. People have been meeting up at SI for years, long before the internet even. Maybe you had a bad experieince or something? :huh:
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
User avatar
QH's Paw
hunter
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: Goble, OR overlooking the Big "C"

Re: Sauvies island

Postby Tealer » Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:52 pm

Ifish is roughly 2/3 worthless, but I have a hard time figuring out how a website like that keeps anyone out of the loop. Hard to keep anything a secret there.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot
 
Posts: 6032
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:41 am
Location: Along the Columbia

Sauvies island

Postby Tealer » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:11 pm

tealdog wrote:
QH's Paw wrote:
wetgoldenretriever wrote:Thank you for your help everybody . I am going to try sauvies a few times this year during a weekday to give it a try and am hoping to have good results. I also might try silt coos a few times too. And I'm gonna scout it next week.

If you post up here before your SI hunts, you might get someone to meet up and pull chips with you. Lot's of guys do that on this forum and the other local forum too. :thumbsup:


And if your really lucky you can hook up with the I fish crew and screw everyone who's out of the loop :hammer:


I think I have a solution for you.....
Image
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot
 
Posts: 6032
Joined: Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:41 am
Location: Along the Columbia

Re: Sauvies island

Postby kp110477 » Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:10 am

Went out to Sauvies Island today, with 'Beginners Guide to Waterfowl Hunting on Sauvie's Island' in hand, daughter in tow. I walked around a lot of the East unit. I don't understand the Mudhen blind unit? Will there be water there later in the fall? Also, for all of the 'roam' units, do you guys use layout blinds, or just brush up with what's out there? I'm relatively new to duck hunting and brand new to Oregon. Thought my best bet would be to start hunting the public land and hopefully pick up some tips for other parts of the state as the season progresses. Saw a lot of teal on Sturgeon lake on the West side units, but where the blinds were supposed to be on the south side of gilbert river, I didn't see any blinds... are these meant to be makeshift blinds, or bring your own (talking about the Holman Point Blind Unit on the West Side)? not nearly as clearly marked as say the Seal Lake Blind Unit. I'll probably make it out there several more times before the season starts, just trying to get a feel for the place, but any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
KP
kp110477
Newb
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Wed May 09, 2012 8:51 pm

Re: Sauvies island

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:47 am

I think what the guy was referring to about "Screwing" other people goes something like this. A bunch of guys get together and draw as a group...let's say there are 30 or so of them. They take the top 6-7 chips and distribute those out for the party.

This is technically "unfair" since let say me and 3 guys go out and we pull 3 decent chips. all but one of our chips go back into the bag for others to pull, whereas a large group can filter through 10-15% of the total chips and cherry pick the best ones.

A few years back the westside folks cracked down on this a bit and forced you to draw with your hunting party and all but one chip had to go back into the bag. It was loosely enforced though and there was still a way around it.

All in all, that was really the least of the problems with people working the system out there though. I know of a lot more dircet ways people get a "leg up" out there that make this one look paltry. This is probably just the only one the guy knew to complain about. lol.

double or triple drawing, having friends come sit in line to pull chips for you, rolling people into your blind as people leave with the already shot limits (screwing people on the waiting list), and that is just to name a few....


Just get there early and draw at the front of the line. You take your chances and get what you get before the shenanagins take place. Bottom line is, with 200 chips in the bag and roughly 7 blinds worth hunting at on any given day, people are always going to feel like they got "cheated". Even on the days folks pull the top one or two chips, they complain that the people in the blinds next to them for the reason they didn't get their birds.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
User avatar
Swamp Puppy
hunter
 
Posts: 3947
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:58 pm
Location: Warren, Oregon

Re: Sauvies island

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:29 am

Swamp Puppy wrote:I think what the guy was referring to about "Screwing" other people goes something like this. A bunch of guys get together and draw as a group...let's say there are 30 or so of them. They take the top 6-7 chips and distribute those out for the party.

This is technically "unfair" since let say me and 3 guys go out and we pull 3 decent chips. all but one of our chips go back into the bag for others to pull, whereas a large group can filter through 10-15% of the total chips and cherry pick the best ones.

A few years back the westside folks cracked down on this a bit and forced you to draw with your hunting party and all but one chip had to go back into the bag. It was loosely enforced though and there was still a way around it.

All in all, that was really the least of the problems with people working the system out there though. I know of a lot more dircet ways people get a "leg up" out there that make this one look paltry. This is probably just the only one the guy knew to complain about. lol.

double or triple drawing, having friends come sit in line to pull chips for you, rolling people into your blind as people leave with the already shot limits (screwing people on the waiting list), and that is just to name a few....


Just get there early and draw at the front of the line. You take your chances and get what you get before the shenanagins take place. Bottom line is, with 200 chips in the bag and roughly 7 blinds worth hunting at on any given day, people are always going to feel like they got "cheated". Even on the days folks pull the top one or two chips, they complain that the people in the blinds next to them for the reason they didn't get their birds.

Ed, it's been a few years since you've hunted the westside. They have changed it around a little. They take the name(initials actually) of the person that draws the chip. That person has to be at the window and check in with the group. I guess there might still be some double dipping, never noticed it before and have only heard of it from disgruntled hunters.Chips do not go back in the bag unless hunter numbers make it necessary.
I hunted the westside 3 times last season. I drew "bad" chips all of those times. I shot 20 birds between those 3 trips.
I was alone on 2 of the 3 trips. It is what you make of it.
I've had great days on triple digit chips and far less than stellar on single digit chips.
I agree that people sometimes feel if their day wasn't what they expected, it is somehow someone elses fault.
It is public hunting and is what it is.
I think that the ODFW personnel do a great job, considering the zoo that it could be there.
There will be people that try to "cheat" the system in any circumstance, or so it seems.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
User avatar
QH's Paw
hunter
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: Goble, OR overlooking the Big "C"

Re: Sauvies island

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Sep 02, 2012 10:45 am

QH -yeah, it's been a few years. Actually, I do remember now right at the end that they were not putting chips back in the bag. at any rate, like you said. it is what it is.

I am not one to complain, I was just explaining some of the ways things go down that make people feel disgruntled point fingers. I never bothered with worrying too much about it myself.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
User avatar
Swamp Puppy
hunter
 
Posts: 3947
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:58 pm
Location: Warren, Oregon

Re: Sauvies island

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Sep 03, 2012 9:11 pm

Swamp Puppy wrote:QH -yeah, it's been a few years. Actually, I do remember now right at the end that they were not putting chips back in the bag. at any rate, like you said. it is what it is.

I am not one to complain, I was just explaining some of the ways things go down that make people feel disgruntled point fingers. I never bothered with worrying too much about it myself.

Wasn't referring to you about the disgruntled hunter statement, hope you didn't take it that way. I guess my point was more that I've noticed, over the years, there are guys that don't shoot as many birds as others, and they are quick to blame that "luck" on others. Guys who go out and roll with the punches, and adjust for different circumstances, don't usually have time to sit around and complain because they are at home cleaning birds or are out on the river or fields scouting their next hunt.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
User avatar
QH's Paw
hunter
 
Posts: 2392
Joined: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:09 pm
Location: Goble, OR overlooking the Big "C"

Re: Sauvies island

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:29 am

Agreed. I have found that to be true also.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
User avatar
Swamp Puppy
hunter
 
Posts: 3947
Joined: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:58 pm
Location: Warren, Oregon

Re: Sauvies island

Postby Taggin Turkeys » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:49 pm

SI is like combat hunting.... I love it when I wat to see drama!!!! Make sure u bring 3.5 inch bbb's cause you could very need them for ducks not great basins :biggrin:
Taggin Turkeys
hunter
 
Posts: 34
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:52 pm

Previous

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests