Who Is Going To Summer Lake?

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Who Is Going To Summer Lake?

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:16 pm

i know it's early for plans...but sheesh. gotta talk about something. lol.

i'll probably be going again this year. Summer is always a fun time for beer drinkin' and chattin' with the guys. might even shoot some ducks. lol.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Nelly » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:23 pm

I would really like to make it this year. I have been saying for the last couple of years I would go but it has not worked out, I'm always gone for deer season and elk and then if I was to leave for this also the wife might start getting upset. So I don't want to push my luck. BUT this year I didn't draw elk or deer soooo I would really like to go this year me and my buddy want to plan it so will see. We have never been but have heard it is pretty good and any place I can kill ducks,drink beer and hang out with some good friends I'm down with that.!
CW
Nelly
hunter

Postby Nelly » Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:28 pm

Oh yeah would it be best to have a boat there, or do most hunt from land? For us never going before it will be hard, I guess I will have to do some research and find out were to go and the place to be. I will probaly pull my trailer over also. So we would have to take a couple of trucks I guess.If you have any insight as to what to expect, to bring and maybe a coulple of starting points I would appreciate it. Also were does everyons stay over there?
Thanks CW
Nelly
hunter

Postby DrQuinnDiesel » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:55 pm

Guys,

My brothers and I really want to head to Summer lake this fall but we know little about it. I understand that it is a very large area and pretty popular, but do you have any tips for the newbies? (Ex. When to go, what to bring, what to expect, etc.)

Thanks,

Quinn
KEEP YOUR SHOTS WITHIN 40 YARDS!!!!
DrQuinnDiesel
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:11 am

here is a recap from my experience during the 2004 opener.

Friday early AM : drive for 5 hours and arrive around 7am, as per instructed, in order to secure campsite. get the feeling we got there too early as we were probably only one of 10 rigs in the whole area. 5 of them belonged to our party.

Friday early afternoon : go scouting. spend lots of time glassing the marsh looking for places the ducks want to be. finally decide on a spot about a mile out. look for landmarks to help us get there in the dark. arrive back at camp and notice that the campground is almost full. i guess getting in early was a good idea afterall.

Friday evening : eat dinner, BS around the fire, go to sleep early. 3am comes quick. campground is at or over capacity now..really glad we got here early.

Saturday somtime around 1 AM : jackasses arrive and set up tent 5 feet from our trailer. build big fire, get really drunk (or perhaps they ariived that way) and proceed to yell at other drunk jackasses in the campground. someone threatens to kick various parts of someone else's anatomy...i think i just heard a shotgun cycle. great.

Saturday 3 AM : wake up....ready to hunt. man this is going to be great. drunk jackasses are all passed out now. probably won't make it into the marsh today. eat breakfast, load up, hike out to our "spot", set up. only 2 more hours until shoot time...start seeing long streams of headlights spilling out of the campgrounds. too bad suckers...we're here first.

Saturday 45 minutes to shoot time and counting : flashlights all over the marsh..looks like fireflies. not many coming out to where we are though. can hear dogs, people, people yelling at dogs, people yelling at people....no matter though. they aren't near us. i am used to public hunting. hell., i hunt Sauvie Island...i can deal with this. a groupf guys are heading our way...they see our light and move off a respectabe distance after asking permission to wade through "our" spot. nice guys...see, this won't be that bad.

Saturday 30 minutes to shoot time : birds all over the place. working in and landing in the dekes. can't keep them out of here..everything is working perfect. birds are going to die..they will all have bands..we will limit out in 15 minutes...nobody can miss these shots...

Saturday 10 minutes to shoot time : strange dog runs into our blind. where did he come from. he looks scared and would just as soon stay with us. i stand up and take the dog out to find it's owner(s). find owner about 100 yards away..they look lost, probably hung over. i return the dog, give them a brief overview of where people are hunting and where is still available. they follow me back to our blind, look at our spread and proceed to walk down and stand 20 yards below our dekes.

SHOTS FIRED!! hey...it's still 10 minutes to go.

WWIII starts....never in my life have i heard so much gunfire and i have hunted a lot of dove openers in arizona. still 5 minutes to shoot time and the birds are already flying at 50 + yards high.

what follows for the next 3 hours in non-stop skybusting, and i mean REAL skybusting. 60 to 80 yards is a close shot. if it flies, it is getting shot at. people are shooting at ducks, geese, swans, cranes, coots, snipe, each other, well...you get the idea.

Saturday 10 AM : it seems to be over...the shooting is sporadic. we have 9 birds for 3 people. the weenies that cut us off had a great day. people spill out of the marsh and head back to camp.

Saturday Evening : good times around the campfire. people are leaving...the campground is at about 3/4 capacity.

Sunday AM: get up and take a walk down the dike to do some pass shooting. no reason for decoys in this place. people are still leaving....but some still go out for an AM hunt. 2 miles of Dike to shoot from, but of course the only other group besides ours has to stand 15 feet away from us. naturally, they are shooting that everything that flies...including anything that flies over us.

Sunday Noon : pack up and leave. I'll never complain about Sauvie Island again.

on a side note...i will go again, but for the fun of the trip and hanging out with the boys. i'll never consider it a "serious" hunt.

that said, the '05 opener was about the same..only i was better prepared and didn't drag out as much gear. we got our 3 limits and were done by lunchtime. the weather forced everyone inside..so there really wasn't much out door partying last year..and they did manage to wait until shoot time before starting WWIII. all in all it is a good time if you don't take it too seriously.

if you have never been...it really isn't a big deal. get there early to find a camping spot, anywhere is as good as the next, and spend an hour or so standing up on the road looking at the area to get a general feel for the palace. then, the next morning, just walk out to some sort of water and get ready to start shooting. it's about that easy.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Nelly » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:34 am

What about bring a boat, would that be advantage? Also what camp ground does everyone stay at. The only one I know of is at Anna resevior. Thanks for the help sounds liek it is a good time though ( :salude: drinking shooting and being wth friends). I have to see about makeing plans :thumbsup: .
CW
Nelly
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:34 pm

some people use small boats with electric motors to get away from the crowds. that is certainly an option. there really aren't any facilities for boating and the "lake" isn't all that deep...nor is there even a navigatable waterway some years. i guess the one exception would be the Anna "river" that runs out to a larger body of water, but that area could be a refuge. a map would probably be more helpful for figuring that out. i've never tried a boat.

i'll see if i can find a map.

as for the camping, just after you pass the ODFW office there are a few camping areas right there. basically just big gravel lots that people pile into. the map would be helpful for that too. i think we stay at Wind Dike or something like that.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:46 pm

here is a map. we stayed in the middle of the 3 campgrounds you see right near the check station. the only way i know of to boat in is to plop your boat into the anna "river" there at the campground and paddle or electric motor yourself out. (the "river" is about 6ft wide).

if you are going to do that...try to stay in the middle and away from the dikes. people walk out and line the sides of the dikes to pass shoot. your best bet would be to just keep going as far down as you can towards gold dike. i don't think too many people go down that far.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hu ... apRev3.pdf[/url]
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby DrQuinnDiesel » Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:26 pm

Swamp Puppy,

Thanks for the advice. There are days that I hate hunting Sauvie because of the unethical ass's that "hunt" there. I've got a buddy that takes two weeks off and goes to Summer lake, I need to get ahold of him and see if he has any tips.

Thanks bro,

Quinn
KEEP YOUR SHOTS WITHIN 40 YARDS!!!!
DrQuinnDiesel
hunter

Postby JimboPDX » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:44 pm

I would love to make it down there for the opener! Ed & Lonnie...I just might crash you campfire with some beer...Oh and your blind too...LOL!

Cheers,

Jim "Headhunter" O'Leary
Fins, feathers, or fur....it's going down!
JimboPDX
hunter

Postby 98ramtough » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:09 pm

Man that sounds like Clockum Elk on rifle opener.
Quack
98ramtough
hunter

Postby Bigcat_hunter » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:31 am

I went last year. Dont bother with decoys on opener. The ducks just look at them and know its not safe to land there because every bird in the area is in the air getting shot at, LOL.
Bigcat_hunter
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Jul 30, 2006 7:09 pm

:withstupid:

sooooo true..sooooooo true.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Bigcat_hunter » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:51 am

I'm going. I better take a second mortgage on my house to buy enough ammunition. Cant wait!!
Bigcat_hunter
hunter

klamath county

Postby brooktrout » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:53 pm

I've always hunting Sauvie Island area. How far is summer lake from klamath falls? Anything closer to klamath falls that is good for opening day?
brooktrout
Newb

Postby Bigcat_hunter » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:21 pm

I THINK ITS REAL CLOS YO K.F.
Bigcat_hunter
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting