Central Oregon Duck/Goose Hunting

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

Central Oregon Duck/Goose Hunting

Postby woahpal » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:20 pm

Hey there fellas, I am new to the board and am glad I found it. I have hunted all of Sauvie....unfortunatly....as well as willow creek, and other oregon spots. I am now living in bend and was wondering if anyone can tell me if summer lake is the only spot to hunt down this way. From what i have read it sounds a lot like sauvie. If it is i will stay at the in-laws in the dalles and hunt willow creek. Thanks in advance for any help.
woahpal
hunter

Postby Gooseboy » Thu Jul 13, 2006 1:22 pm

First off. :welcome:

You might get a better response in the Oregon forumn.
The group ended up with 420 birds.

(\__/) This is my bunny. There
(='.'=) are many like him but this
(")_(")one is mine. Cut and paste the bunny into your signature to help the bunny gain world domination !
Gooseboy
Banned

Postby woahpal » Thu Jul 13, 2006 3:24 pm

Thanks will check that out

Gooseboy wrote:First off. :welcome:

woahpal
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 10:42 am

Summer Lake is a madhouse on opening weekend, but you can pretty much have the run of the place after that. lots of good areas to hunt and you can go where you please.

you can do well down there..that's for sure.

welcome!
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby BrotherWolf » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:17 pm

Gooseboy wrote:First off. :welcome:

Ummmm this is the Oregon Forum!
The Best is yet to come!
Member of
D.U
Team Wolf C.E.O
BrotherWolf
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Jul 23, 2006 6:04 pm

yeah, i think he started this off in the main forum and then it got moved here.

but GB has been known to be a bit off base before...lol. :thumbsup:
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Bigcat_hunter » Fri Jul 28, 2006 11:27 am

Hey, I live in Bend too. There are lots of places around here. Craine Prairie and Wikiup resevior are good (Mostly later in the season). The Deschutes River, but make sure to get a map of where you can hunt from ODFW on the deschutes. There are varius ponds about. Even canals sometimes. There is all sorts of waterfowl around here. We take many home during hunting season. It is usally hit or miss in Central Oregon. Alot has to do with the migration. Probably alot different than Suavie. Summer lake has LOTS of birds. But its a long drive. They get hella snow geese. I am going to try the snow geese this year.
Bigcat_hunter
hunter

Postby woahpal » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:59 am

Cool, will be checking it out this year, thanks for the feedback

Swamp Puppy wrote:Summer Lake is a madhouse on opening weekend, but you can pretty much have the run of the place after that. lots of good areas to hunt and you can go where you please.

you can do well down there..that's for sure.

welcome!
woahpal
hunter

Postby woahpal » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:02 pm

Thanks for all the tips they are really helpfull, now I just need to figure out how long it's going to take to get to summer and decide if it's worth the drive. I too am going to throw up some lead at them honkers, tasty eatings.

Bigcat_hunter wrote:Hey, I live in Bend too. There are lots of places around here. Craine Prairie and Wikiup resevior are good (Mostly later in the season). The Deschutes River, but make sure to get a map of where you can hunt from ODFW on the deschutes. There are varius ponds about. Even canals sometimes. There is all sorts of waterfowl around here. We take many home during hunting season. It is usally hit or miss in Central Oregon. Alot has to do with the migration. Probably alot different than Suavie. Summer lake has LOTS of birds. But its a long drive. They get hella snow geese. I am going to try the snow geese this year.
woahpal
hunter

Postby cuppedwings04 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 12:16 pm

The Basin isn't to far for a weekend either.
cuppedwings04
hunter

Postby Bigcat_hunter » Wed Aug 09, 2006 1:24 pm

Where is "The Basin"?
Bigcat_hunter
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:00 pm

he might be referring to the Klamath Basin...down in the Klamath Falls area. never hunted down there myself, but i know quite a few people who do go down there and they all seem to like it enough to keep going back. that's a good sign. lol.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby cuppedwings04 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:04 am

Sorry I always thought that the Klamamth Basin was famous enough for me to drop the Klamath part. Anyhow I beleive it is about 3 hour drive from the Bend area and there is some good hunting around here.
cuppedwings04
hunter

Postby Oregon Honker » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:10 pm

Hunting is ok in central OR but nothing like it use to be !!! you can go to willow CR but that's a long drive and it's not as good as you probably heard actually it really sucks!! your better off to head towards Prineville aera!!! :thumbsup:
Killem
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Bigcat_hunter » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:45 pm

I wonder if Prineville Resivior would be good. I have never tried it there.
Bigcat_hunter
hunter

the Basin

Postby goosecaller dude » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:53 pm

HI I hunt that pit cause there is nowhere else to go.It used to be the best place to go but all the farm land that surrounds the lake is now conservatory or reclamation land and it is now natural! crap what birds eat tumble weeds or high dessert weeds? :toofunny: its good opening week then if you like buffleheads,ruudies or coots. if the geese dont fly to lowewr klamath in Cal. then you might get some. :thumbsup:
goosecaller dude
hunter

Postby Oregon Honker » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:41 pm

I lived around there about 6 years ago and the farm fields all over that aera were hot for honkers and they were verry unedjucated !!! just do some talking around cent wise and Big R in redmond those guys might help you out a little!!!!! :salude:
Killem
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby woahpal » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:56 pm

sounds like it could be fun, although, it would be a hunting/camping weekend for the 3 hour drive, howz the camping there?

cuppedwings04 wrote:Sorry I always thought that the Klamamth Basin was famous enough for me to drop the Klamath part. Anyhow I beleive it is about 3 hour drive from the Bend area and there is some good hunting around here.
woahpal
hunter

Postby woahpal » Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:57 pm

Bro, willow creek rocks, i hunt there every season, you just have to know where to park and hike in.

Oregon Honker wrote:Hunting is ok in central OR but nothing like it use to be !!! you can go to willow CR but that's a long drive and it's not as good as you probably heard actually it really sucks!! your better off to head towards Prineville aera!!! :thumbsup:
woahpal
hunter

Postby cuppedwings04 » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:03 pm

woahpal wrote:sounds like it could be fun, although, it would be a hunting/camping weekend for the 3 hour drive, howz the camping there?

cuppedwings04 wrote:Sorry I always thought that the Klamamth Basin was famous enough for me to drop the Klamath part. Anyhow I beleive it is about 3 hour drive from the Bend area and there is some good hunting around here.

There is some decent camprgrounds. You could camp at Collier state park and be pretty close to the wood river public area. It gets hunted hard opening weekend but than starts to drop off. Fortunatley there is a lot of space there and you can get away if you are willing to work at it. BTW waders are a must.
cuppedwings04
hunter

Postby Oregon Honker » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:23 pm

woahpal wrote:Bro, willow creek rocks, i hunt there every season, you just have to know where to park and hike in.

Oregon Honker wrote:Hunting is ok in central OR but nothing like it use to be !!! you can go to willow CR but that's a long drive and it's not as good as you probably heard actually it really sucks!! your better off to head towards Prineville aera!!! :thumbsup:

If your in to crowds thats OK but willow creek is the closest place headed east of Portland to hunt and it can get pretty crowded fast ive been down there and seen upwards of 20 different blinds or boats in there and it's not a real big place
Killem
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting