Road Hunting on the Crooked River

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

Road Hunting on the Crooked River

Postby pisspoorfisherman » Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:10 am

Saw some guys cruising the crooked river in their pick up on Monday for hours. Up and down from about 800 to noon. It appeared as if they would drive until they saw birds, park, get out and put the sneak on them, blast, retrieve and drive on. Im a relatively new waterfowler in CO and it's a tactic that I'm not used to seeing. Im not really offended by it. Just curious what others thought.
pisspoorfisherman
hunter

Re: Road Hunting on the Crooked River

Postby goosegunner12 » Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:49 am

Well at least they parked and put the sneek on. wait till you see a truck drive by with a bunch of guys sitting in the back at the ready. I was born and raised there, yes it's common practice.
goosegunner12
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:33 am

Unfortunately goosegunner is right it is a common pratice round here.People shouldn't do it but they do I don't mind em doin it as long as they do it properly & don't shoot from the road or worse the back of the truck had quite a few guys sneek on my deks over the years up there & even had a few morons shoot at them
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby hatchiecoon » Sun Oct 21, 2012 7:14 pm

Well unfortunately, public areas there are not abundant and of course folks should ask to access. Frustrating situation.
Anyone who thinks shooting a duck on the water is unsportsmanlike, has never tried.
hatchiecoon
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting