Zone 1 Newb question

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Zone 1 Newb question

Postby snooopidydoo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:08 am

I'm new to ducks, bought all the gear i could think of and I'm ready to hit the water.
I've read the snops multiple times and i still havnt found my answer.
It appears you may bag 1-2 of certain species like the pintail, and canvasback for example.
Are there any ducks in general you can't shoot???? wood ducks?
This would be really helpful before i hit the water as i don't have anybody to teach me or help me, just going out on a limb and trying to get some birds by myself.
Thanks a lot guys.

Also if theres any goose hunters in zone 1 maybe you could shed light on that too. says you may bag no more than 2... whatever (darks) but which geese can't you shoot??? or protected???
snooopidydoo
hunter

Re: Zone 1 Newb question

Postby kodiak06 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 7:12 pm

Here's the regs, not sure what part of zone 1 you're in, that matters for geese.
http://www.dfw.state.or.us/resources/hu ... d_regs.pdf
kodiak06
hunter

Postby snooopidydoo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:40 pm

Thanks for the reply Kodiak.
I read it again and still this is what i come up with:

SW zone goose: 4 dark & 6 white DBL
The daily dark goose limit may not include more than three cackling Canada geese or Aleutian Canada geese

So i think i have that pretty well figured out, but the Duck & Merganser has me stumped.

7 DBL..Within the daily bag limit of seven ducks you may not have more than: Two hen mallards, two pintail, two redheads, and one
canvasback .

Besides the restrictions listed ^^ are all the other ducks, Mergansers legal? wood ducks etc?

Sorry about this but I'm kind of anal because i really don't feel like losing my hunting rights.
I'm used to species having there own seasons instead of combined if you know what i mean.
Thanks a bunch!
snooopidydoo
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:50 pm

snooopidydoo wrote:I'm new to ducks, bought all the gear i could think of and I'm ready to hit the water.
I've read the snops multiple times and i still havnt found my answer.
It appears you may bag 1-2 of certain species like the pintail, and canvasback for example.
Are there any ducks in general you can't shoot???? wood ducks?
This would be really helpful before i hit the water as i don't have anybody to teach me or help me, just going out on a limb and trying to get some birds by myself.
Thanks a lot guys.

Also if theres any goose hunters in zone 1 maybe you could shed light on that too. says you may bag no more than 2... whatever (darks) but which geese can't you shoot??? or protected???

I would foremost suggest that you take the goose identification test, whether or not you plan to shoot geese. It is a good place to begin to ID birds in flight and take note of certain characteristics of each species.

Goose hunting in "zone 1" is tricky and there are plenty of regulations. I have to go back and read through the synopsis multiple times per season to make sure the season is open on that particular day of the week or that shooting time is what I thought. You need to pass the goose identification test to hunt the NW Permit Zone. Which brings me to another point....

Goose seasons and regulations are not classified as "Zone 1" or "Zone 2", those would be the boundaries outline for the duck regulations. Goose regs are more specific to counties and smaller zones. There are also more regulations and season dates that open/close periodically during the season, the NW Permit Zone being a prime example.

Just because you have "all the gear" certainly doesn't make you ready to do it alone. I would recommend that you go with someone who has some experience and would be willing to show you the ropes. You'll learn the most that way and will be on the right track to killing birds in the future.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby njonesy_07 » Thu Oct 25, 2012 9:56 pm

snooopidydoo wrote:
7 DBL..Within the daily bag limit of seven ducks you may not have more than: Two hen mallards, two pintail, two redheads, and one
canvasback .

Besides the restrictions listed ^^ are all the other ducks, Mergansers legal? wood ducks etc?

Youre on the right track. The regs spell it out just as you wrote. Those 7 birds may not include more than XX amount of the restricted species. You may bag no more than 7 birds, period. So you could potentially shoot 7 mallards for your limit...all of those could be greenheads, but the point is that no more than 2 of those can be mallard HENS for example.

Does that help?

7 wood ducks, sure. 7 birds of mixed species, yes... as long as within that 7 you do not have more than the specificed limits as you have already identified.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby snooopidydoo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:22 pm

jonesy thank you!
i will take the test in the morning. Ducks first, i understand that portion, but it does not mention other duck species. i like using wood duck as example. synopsis says nothing about woodys. so can i shoot 7 woodys? unlikely find, but i cannot find info anywhere.
I wish i had somebody to go with but not that lucky at least the beginning of this seasonal i will have to go alone. and at this point I'm only comfortable shooting green heads and hens because they're the only species i can clearly ID.

As far geese i will take the test but don't feel comfortable considering the replies I'm getting.
I mean just so you guys don't get the wrong idea, I'm not a shoot first ask later kind of guy. Troopers scare my socks off even when I'm completely legal lol.

I'm thinking once i get out in the field and see the ducks in there habitat i may be able make easier distinctions between species.
Thanks again for the replies.
snooopidydoo
hunter

Postby snooopidydoo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 11:24 pm

njonesy_07 wrote:
snooopidydoo wrote:

7 wood ducks, sure. 7 birds of mixed species, yes... as long as within that 7 you do not have more than the specificed limits as you have already identified.

whoops missed this ^^^ thank you!!!
snooopidydoo
hunter

Postby tlrmike99 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:12 pm

SNOOP! Are you in the SW Zone? If so where at?

I too am in the SW zone and would be more than willing to help you decipher the regs!

Mike
tlrmike99
hunter

Postby snooopidydoo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:22 pm

TLRmike,
I am SW but were a pretty good distance aways still.
I'm in medford, and recently got permission to hunt the honey hole swamp! unfortunately have to be on your toes because of the pot farmers running around. So if you're ever in the valley let me know! theres plenty of geese (haven't taken a shot because I'm not 100% yet). I did take 3 green winged teal this weekend. and missed 4 green heads. any information you have on helping me with birds i would really appreciate it! and in return if you're ever in the valley we can go kill some birdies.
snooopidydoo
hunter

Postby tlrmike99 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 10:38 pm

I will be in Grants Pass Tuesday to take my mom to the doctor. In the SW zonw, Darks are the Canadas, and you can wack 4 a day. Lights are the snows and specks.

We have a timber hole, I say we, my buddy has the access... anyway, we have shot limits there, and well over half were woodies.... I wanna say 9 woodies and 5 drake mallards one day... anyway, LOTS of wood ducks on the smaller rivers and creeks in Oregon....

I used to spend time hitting the coastal lakes for Blue Bills, but the the limit went down to 2 bills and 1 can, and gas went UP to $4 a gal. So it wasn't worth it. But now that Bill numbers are up, they are just a duck, so 7 a day, or 6 and a Can!!! So I am for sure gonna dust off 5 dozen diver deeks!!!

You can PM me if you have any questions.... I have lots of time off... Kinda unemployed... was the Chief of Police, had a heart valve replacement with a mechanical one, so now on Bloot thinners.... so no police work... BUT of course the state said no medical retire either.... soooooo... looking... but have some hunt time!!!
tlrmike99
hunter

Postby jandh77 » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:09 pm

I will be in Grants Pass Tuesday to take my mom to the doctor. In the SW zonw, Darks are the Canadas, and you can wack 4 a day. Lights are the snows and specks.

You might wanna re-read the regulations. Darks include Canadas, cackling, and white-fronted (specks). White geese are snows and ross's.
jandh77
hunter

Postby snooopidydoo » Sun Oct 28, 2012 11:21 pm

tlrmike99 wrote:I will be in Grants Pass Tuesday to take my mom to the doctor. In the SW zonw, Darks are the Canadas, and you can wack 4 a day. Lights are the snows and specks.

We have a timber hole, I say we, my buddy has the access... anyway, we have shot limits there, and well over half were woodies.... I wanna say 9 woodies and 5 drake mallards one day... anyway, LOTS of wood ducks on the smaller rivers and creeks in Oregon....

I used to spend time hitting the coastal lakes for Blue Bills, but the the limit went down to 2 bills and 1 can, and gas went UP to $4 a gal. So it wasn't worth it. But now that Bill numbers are up, they are just a duck, so 7 a day, or 6 and a Can!!! So I am for sure gonna dust off 5 dozen diver deeks!!!

You can PM me if you have any questions.... I have lots of time off... Kinda unemployed... was the Chief of Police, had a heart valve replacement with a mechanical one, so now on Bloot thinners.... so no police work... BUT of course the state said no medical retire either.... soooooo... looking... but have some hunt time!!!

Lovin the picture! well hope your health returns to normal and you can get back out there! i assume city police?
I'm a snowplow operator for the siskiyous in ashland, and equipment in summer. but 3 day weekends.
If i have any questions or you ever come down here to hunt shoot me a message!
snooopidydoo
hunter

Postby tlrmike99 » Mon Oct 29, 2012 12:00 am

I stand corrected on the Geese. All we get are honks... I have only seen 1 batch of specks here in the land of Umpqua....

Thanks for the good wishes, my heart is back to normal, well, it clicks really loud with each beat, but works fine. Unfortunatly the blood thinners are forever, so I am looking for a new carreer. Kinda hard, been a cop since I was 23.... did almost 18 years at Sutherlin, started as a patrol officer, made chief at 39, that lasted 2 1/2 years, but it was a good run, and everything happens for a reason, this might have been the year I got shot if I had stayed.

I will for sure hit you up and we'll plan a hunt down there. Only 2 hrs, 1 1/2 if I drive like a cop...LOL!!!
tlrmike99
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting