howard prarie lost creek an applegate lake

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

howard prarie lost creek an applegate lake

Postby Utter chaos » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:37 pm

any body ever looked into hunting any of these lakes spent 3 hours on the phone today with osp office and game officers odfw salem and local office as well as forest service. yes some parts are for sure you couldnt hunt near camp grounds but what about other parts of the lake where its nowhere near or in a campground an in fowl season campgrounds are closed anyways
Season totals
4 mallard
3 Widgeon
16 honkers
1 buffle head
1coot
days hunted 7
Utter chaos
hunter

Re: howard prarie lost creek an applegate lake

Postby snooopidydoo » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:02 pm

What did they say? I couldn't even tell ya! I know when i was younger we hunted emigrant lake, but i don't know how that would go with the "Ashland" crowd now..
snooopidydoo
hunter

Postby Utter chaos » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:53 am

none of them knew the answer hahaha if i ever find out ill be sure an post it
Season totals
4 mallard
3 Widgeon
16 honkers
1 buffle head
1coot
days hunted 7
Utter chaos
hunter

Postby tlrmike99 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 9:49 am

You might try checking with the county. Here in Douglas County, Alot of the lakes are "parks" and closed to hunting, BUT, I found out there were some ( quite a few actually) with areas of allowed hunting...

I had to talk to a few people to get the info, be presistant(I think the lady that took my call was anti-hunting,) I had to keep calling back until the guy that had the info was actually there. But I got a few more spots to hunt!

I keep a little note book, with names and numbers of people who told me it was ok to hunt, even little maps, and decoy layouts that work. It has come in handy. I had a guy challenge my permission to hunt once, took out my little book, told him who I had talked to, and offered to call and re-confirm. Turned into, "Oh, him, I know him, hows he doing, blah blah blah, I see alot of geese over there, you can hunt there too if you like." So I got his number and name too...LOL! :yes:

Also, don't be afftaid to stop by your land use or planning department (my hunting partner works there, so that NICE) and check on ownership. I was surprised how many little marsh areas off the rivers were State Lands owned, or US Lands owned.
tlrmike99
hunter

Postby Utter chaos » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:49 am

Yea the notebook is a good idea. An yea ill just keep bugging them but the osp game officer thought that the far side of howard prarie was blm land
Season totals
4 mallard
3 Widgeon
16 honkers
1 buffle head
1coot
days hunted 7
Utter chaos
hunter

Postby Utter chaos » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:29 pm

Talked to a guy an you can hunt howard prarie
Season totals
4 mallard
3 Widgeon
16 honkers
1 buffle head
1coot
days hunted 7
Utter chaos
hunter

Postby tlrmike99 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:05 pm

Ya, I think the book is awesome. Plus if you get into a situation where you are being questioned about permission, you have numbers to call and look as though you have done what you should, and that goes a long ways in the eyes of most law enforcement. Trust me!
tlrmike99
hunter

Postby snooopidydoo » Sat Nov 03, 2012 10:55 pm

We trust ya mike ;-).
I think we need a southern oregon hunt, get a central location so one of us isn't driving all day, and merge our gear into a giant deke spread and get some birdies! Just recently got a kayak in a trade so we can retrieve birds if nobody has a dog.
I dont understand why its so hard to find local duck hunters in southern oregon. Even my close friends are more interested in getting drunk and spending the next day hungover instead of getting outside at first light!
snooopidydoo
hunter

Postby Utter chaos » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:12 pm

i know me an my buddys would be game i got a dog no pro bird dog but brings back the ducks haha
Season totals
4 mallard
3 Widgeon
16 honkers
1 buffle head
1coot
days hunted 7
Utter chaos
hunter

Postby tlrmike99 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:59 pm

I would be up for it, can drag my long time buddy with me. We kinda share gear, so we have about 100-125 decoys for puddle ducks, and about 4-5 dozen for divers, and about 20+ goose floaters, 2 dozen plus full bodies,a nd a few dozen shells! I also have a little 15' boat to shuttle peeps if needed, or a canoe.

I can call OK, for ducks, and I can call geese, kinda....LOL! Buddy has a hyper active no manners lab, but she fetches like a fool. Lets start looking for a spot! Gotta be somewhere. I would even make a run to GP, hell I day tripped Klamath Falls once, left at 0300!
tlrmike99
hunter

Postby Utter chaos » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:45 pm

Yea were searching grants pass trying to find em went today got skunked so went to go make some blinds this afternoon. On the river an seen 9
Season totals
4 mallard
3 Widgeon
16 honkers
1 buffle head
1coot
days hunted 7
Utter chaos
hunter

Postby tlrmike99 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:53 pm

I went out this morning, but not much flying. I think Sunny or rainy, these overcast "flat" days they just dont seem to move around. I managed to scratch out one green head, but met some guys on the river I knew years ago, and were gonna do a hunt soon, so not a loss of a day.
tlrmike99
hunter

Postby snooopidydoo » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:46 pm

Speaking of not many birds, i went to my honey hole private pond all day yesterday and waisted 3 rounds!! GRR.
But i saw a black bear playing with my backpack i left on the other side of the pond. so also not a waisted day. Only about 3 miles of hiking, and got blinded by the sun all day. :no:
snooopidydoo
hunter

Postby Utter chaos » Mon Nov 05, 2012 10:41 pm

Im going out tomorrow morning hopefull to find somethin why is it they dont like to move around on the nice calm days but the worde the weather the better the shhotin
Season totals
4 mallard
3 Widgeon
16 honkers
1 buffle head
1coot
days hunted 7
Utter chaos
hunter

Postby tlrmike99 » Mon Nov 05, 2012 11:17 pm

Not sure I agree on the worse weather the best shooting... For divers, I think it rings true, they tend to decoy better the worse the weather is. They do well too on sunny days, but the flat overcast "white sky" days seem to keep em down!

But with mallards, hunting flooded fields and wooded ponds I think the best days are blue sky and sunny, of course a touch of wind is good, but I think like us, they tend to be more active when it's nice out. All my best mallard shoots have been on clear and sunny days.

Again, the flat days, not much moving..... we also are looking more at a theroy that when it starts really blowing on the coast, the puddle ducks tend to move into the valley, and then about 1-2 days after it lets up, they head back over to the coast. We kinda started putting this together last year. Like a day or two after a blow at the coast, we would have really good river hunts in the valley, then two days after that, the coast seemed to pick up as ling as it was getting nicer.

We hunted by Reedsport the first day and start of a big blow last year and it was awesome, shot just shy of two limits. Went back the next day and got one duck. Two days later, limits on the river in the vallye, and then they were gone again. so there Might nbe something to this....
tlrmike99
hunter

Postby soulax5 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 11:41 pm

I've hunted Hyatt and Howard Prairie with no issues for a couple of years. More Coots up there then anything else but a few mallards and geese come in for a good time. Really need a jet boat to run the Rogue and know a few good spots there.
soulax5
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting