New to duckhuntingchat.com but not new to duck hunting

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

New to duckhuntingchat.com but not new to duck hunting

Postby ORquackkiller » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:19 pm

Hey,

Just wanted to introduce myself and see if i can get to know some of my fellow Oregonians on the forum. I am 26 years old and a Portland native currently residing in Troutdale. I am down for anything waterfowl hunting. I love to get out any chance i get to Sauvie Island and would like to get to know more about some spots along the Columbia river. Unfortunately, i do not have a boat so access by walking is a must for me. Ill never ask anyone to give up their honey hole, but would definitely appreciate the push in the right direction as far as finding good spots. I am more experienced in hunting ducks but REALLY want to get into goose hunting.

Send me a PM or feel free to reply, but i just wanted to say hello basically and make myself known in the forum.
ORquackkiller
hunter

Re: New to duckhuntingchat.com but not new to duck hunting

Postby duckstoppa » Sun Nov 18, 2012 1:22 pm

Pretty new if you don't know where to hunt. I would start where the ducks are and work your way up.
WAR VALLEY WATERFOWLERS
duckstoppa
hunter

Postby ORquackkiller » Mon Nov 19, 2012 2:18 pm

I have never really explored the area. I have always seemed to go to Sauvie Island or to the Umatilla refuges. Originally got into it as a "once or twice a year" type thing. But over the last few years i have gotten more serious about it. Seems like life has also gotten busier too. Dont seem to be able to find much time to drive around looking for holes to hunt. I have friends that i have always seemed to go with but they go to the refuges same as i do. Just seem to be getting tired of fighting the skybusters on the island and getting bad blinds on mediocre chip draws.
ORquackkiller
hunter

Postby ORquackkiller » Mon Nov 19, 2012 3:02 pm

I guess you are right duckstoppa... i really am new to it. Just trying to learn my way and maybe get a little help from people that are not new and know what they are doing? I can shoot em all day, just gotta learn how to find them?
ORquackkiller
hunter

Postby SteelKiller » Mon Nov 19, 2012 8:51 pm

I too am a new poster here. I have lurked for a while getting a feel for the forum. Much better as far as content goes than other NW boards!! I live in Sandy and have been duckin' for about 6 years or so. Not the greatest hunter in the world but I do manage to knock a few down once in a while. I have hunted the refuges for most of my hunts but when I had access to a boat the opportunities grew exponentially. There is a new duck boat in my future!!

Ben
SteelKiller
hunter

Postby ORquackkiller » Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:04 pm

Hey Steel,

Would you happen to know anything about if you can hunt geese around Oxbow park? Never really been out that way but heard some people have shot out there so...
ORquackkiller
hunter

Postby SteelKiller » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:49 pm

I am sure there is some private land you could shoot from. Not sure about the river though. I would imagine knocking on some doors might lead to some opportunity!?
SteelKiller
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting