How to hunt private land.

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

How to hunt private land.

Postby slingshot » Wed Nov 21, 2012 12:50 am

So there is this seasonal place ive found just outside of mcminnville where ive seen hundreds of ducks at a time and plenty of geese. i saw 1 shot up decoy and two shotgun hulls. it IS posted so obviously i wouldnt hunt there with out permission but from all of the scouting i can see that its a killer spot... but completely void of people. How would you guys handle this situation? its the difference of driving30 minuets each way down to grand island for a wood duck a day or driving three minuets for amazing hunting in which i wouldnt need a dog i dont have. how do i go about finding ownership? ive talked to the county clerk and searched all over for hours online/phone.
slingshot
hunter

Re: How to hunt private land.

Postby bones498 » Wed Nov 21, 2012 1:13 am

Knock on the first door you see from the field and ask who owns the land. If they don't own it I am sure they can point you in the right direction.....good luck. I got permission to hunt a field full of mallards last week doing just that.....
bones498
hunter

Postby tlrmike99 » Fri Nov 23, 2012 2:07 am

What he said, or checl with the planning/land use department for your county. I tell people all the time, it's an AWESOME resource. My hunting partner works there, so thats even better, but the are usually more than willing to help, and there kinda slow work wise in the winter.

And man, knock on doors. i was kinda timid at first, but I have only been denied once, and they were very pleasent about it, just that his son hunted it. His son was actually getting out of hunting, so he told me to check back next year. I asked last year for a goose field, and the old lady said, "I wish someone wanted to hunt that field, we want the geese gone!" Well, she found her guy...LOL! I was actually in waders returning from a hunt, but I usually like to go out, dressed normal....

The other thing I sugest is when you get spots to hunt, at the end of season, get a little thank you card and.or gift. We usually get an inexpensive local wine and some jerky or canned goose, and either talk with land owners or in the card let them know how we did.

Heck, the little timber hole we have didnt flood up till end of season last year, when we mentioned to the owner that we didnt hunt it much, he invited us to come and put in a pump or divert his run-off to fill it sooner!!!! Just ask and BE NICE.
tlrmike99
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:56 pm

I would go to the county auditors site and punch in the address to see who owns the parcell and give them a call. I would do it by Monday or Tuesday or you will be beat to this spot by one of the other forum members, since you posted it here. :no:
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting