Storm in so OR

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Storm in so OR

Postby Utter chaos » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:40 pm

Yes finally getting weather here in grants pass area an flooding the feilds ditches sloughs an ponds lots of wind to. hope it keeps up till sunday so i can go out an finally put the hurtin on some birds me an my cousin are thinkin about takin his 7is yr old son anyone got any tips he wants to go real bad so bad he goes in his room an trys to make duck an goose sounds without a call lolbut we usually leave home by 4 park at 5 an try be set up an ready by 6 its going to be very cold an wet out also
Season totals
4 mallard
3 Widgeon
16 honkers
1 buffle head
1coot
days hunted 7
Utter chaos
hunter

Re: Storm in so OR

Postby tlrmike99 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:59 pm

Bring 2 extra sets of clothes... One for the trip home, and one the youngster can change into mid-hunt if needed. Also, food and some hot choclate. If you blind hunting, a place for him to sit would be good. Also, he's a KID, he will not be able to sit still for anywhere near as long as an adult. When things are not happening, let him move around, and be a part of setting decoys and moving them if you need too.

Most of all, make it fun for him. Oh, and ear muffs or plugs.

Thats my .02 worth.
tlrmike99
hunter

Re: Storm in so OR

Postby Huskies12 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:07 pm

I think the key will be like tlrmike mentioned,"make it fun for him". He is not going to have the patience or perseverance to "hunt" like Daddy. I remember back to when my daughter would go hunting with me. I always went knowing that it was a bonding experience, and results took a back seat. He may get sleepy, so if possible have a place for him to take a nap or rest. Tell your buddy to take pictures, this is something that will be a "forever memory".
Huskies12
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting