Hunting near Bend

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Hunting near Bend

Postby EXTREMA » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:45 pm

Hello everyone,

i'm new to the Oregon forum and coming from the California forum. I'm moving to Bend next year and i was wondering if there are some good hunting and fishing locations near Bend? I hunt ducks, geese, pheasants, quail and dove. Are there any other types of fowl that Central Oregon has, like grouse? I have been to Prineville, Sisters ad Lapine but i didn't have a chance to fish or even see a nice river. Also i hear the better waterfowl and upland game hunting is to the east?
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:48 pm

from Bend you are just a few hours north from the Summer Lake area. great waterfowling down there...just get past the opening weekend. it's a zoo. after that you'll pretty much have the run of the place. you can shoot all types of ducks..as well as Canada Geese and Snows. it's a popular spot for the snows.

not a whole lot going on right IN Bend that i am aware of.

i think you'll like it out there though...lots of things to do outdoors will be within an easy drive from your place.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Sat Aug 19, 2006 3:54 am

Thanks, sounds good! :thumbsup:

I love it in Oregon with all the pine tree's, rivers and mountains. California is too fast paced, flat and full of rude people.

I hunted rice fields and water blinds (hunt clubs) for 15+ years so i'm not used to finding a place to hunt. Is summer lake a refuge?
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:12 am

Summer Lake is what is known as a State Wildlife Mangement Area. not really a refuge..but very similar. there are some offlimit refuge areas out there...so a map is handy.

the deal is that you will have to check in and out with the ODFW at their check station. beyond that...not much is different from public land hunting.

finding spots out there won't be hard. the ducks use the area quite a bit. they tend to use the Anna River as sort of a flyway between the big water of summer lake and the marsh areas. again, use your map and hunt the areas along the river. check out the links for full summer lake info and a map. water levels change out there often...so keep that in mind. I like to go in from either the South Access area or walk down Windbreak Dike and then cut into the marsh from there.

Summer Lake Harvest Data

Summer Lake Map pdf

it's not easy walking through the marsh though...if you have issues that prevent you from walking 200-300 yards though weeds, water, and mud you may want to re-think hunting out there. some people will ride a bike down the dikes and pass shoot from them. that can work out ok..especially for the snow geese. also, you can put in a small boat on the Anna river (no power motor..trolling motor ok) right from the one of the campground parking lots and get out there that way. also, no boat ramp..so it needs to be a small boat you can lift/pull.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:53 pm

Sounds great! Thanks for the info. I see after october the bird count goes way down. I guess thats when they head south huh?

My blind last year was a 1 mile walk through mud so i think i wouldn't have a problem.

what is the limit in Oregon for ducks and geese?

ours changes alot from 5 to 7 ducks with one sprig and 3 snows and maybe 3-4 dark geese this year!

the season here is end of october to mid january.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:58 pm

never mind i found the regulations on the link you sent, thanks!
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:42 pm

it's hit or miss when the birds leave down there. last year it got real cold early and probably forced a bunch of birds out earlier than normal. i hear that most years you can hunt down there through thanksgiving. birds stick around down there as long as there is water...i'll probably get shot for divulging this, but i hear that after the marsh freezes you can really stack up the mallards hunting along the Ana river..which stays clear of ice most of the year. best thing is...no one goes down there because they figure it's all frozen up and not worth the trip.

i would rely on bird count numbers more than harvest numbers. you will see a huge drop in harvest numbers after the first couple of weeks because it goes from zoo..to nobody hunting there. less hunters = less birds on the harvest report.

anyway..most of this is secondhand info. it's really not my stomping grounds. just relaying info i have heard from people who do hunt it alot.

if you haven't found it already...the ODFW should have aerial bird count numbers posted for Summer Lake...not sure where.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby cuppedwings04 » Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:39 pm

The Klamath Basin is also only about a two hour drive from Bend. There is alot of hunting down here, well worth a weekend trip. Also, in Bend you are very close to some awesome Chucker hunting.
cuppedwings04
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:42 am

Yeah when i drove up to Bend i saw Kamath Lake. What a huge lake!! Are there any fish in it, it looks shallow and full of ducks? I would love to do some chukar or grouse hunting. We only have sage grouse about 3 hours from my house. Never have seen one yet.

I also saw where the BIG Tule Geese come from!
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby Bigcat_hunter » Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:01 am

We do have grouse near Bend. I found a covey about a ten min. drive from Bend. First time I have ever seen grouse this close. We also have quail and doves.
Bigcat_hunter
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:06 pm

Where i live within a hour drive we have:

Pheasants (less plentifull every year, hardly spot one anymore)
Mourning Dove (if you can find a place to shoot them)
Valley Quail (hard to find a place to shoot them)
Turkey (almost like pets in the country)
Bandtail Pigeon (only seen a few, never shot at one)
Sage Grouse (they say tahoe forest has some, never seen one)
Chukar (all planted at private clubs, none are wild)

Out of all of these birds i might end up with one pheasant and a few dove a year. The pheasant and chukar's are mostly found at a $20-$40 per private bird club. There is hardly any public land to hunt and lot's of no trespassing signs.

I saw on the ODFG thae Oregon has 6-8 different types of grouse. I bet some are not on the gamebird list. I would love to see what one tasted like.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby cuppedwings04 » Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:23 pm

Klamath Lake has monster trout. The lake is surounded by a series of marshes that all have good hunting. Plus north of the Lake is a huge wildlife area with great hunting, and south of K-falls is the refuge.
cuppedwings04
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:58 pm

It all sounds good! I want to catch some monster king salmon or any of the larger salmon. Kokane run a little small for steaks.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby cuppedwings04 » Wed Aug 23, 2006 11:19 pm

If you want salmon then your gonna have to go a little further west.
cuppedwings04
hunter

Postby EXTREMA » Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:56 am

I get a Bend magazine each month and they always say the salmon are everywhere in Bend. Maybe it's just steelhead? We have king salmon just a hour and a half from my house and they are huge! I went three times and never had a nibble. They say the don't bite you just have to hook there open mouth.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby Bigcat_hunter » Fri Aug 25, 2006 10:37 am

"I saw on the ODFG thae Oregon has 6-8 different types of grouse. I bet some are not on the gamebird list. I would love to see what one tasted like."

I think grouse are the best tasting game birds that you can harvest. They are sweet. They eat these little red berrys and as the saying goes, " you are what you eat!".
Bigcat_hunter
hunter

Postby Oregon Honker » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:23 pm

the salmon are in the lower deschutes river !!!! their is no way for the salmon or steelhead to get clear up to bend their is only 3 dams in the way :toofunny: no way to get past one of them and the water in the fish ladders are too warm and they wont use them.so your best bet is to go down by warmsprings,maupin or shears falls first stop at GI joes or sportsmanswearhouse for help on gear!!!!! :thumbsup:
Killem
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby EXTREMA » Fri Aug 25, 2006 6:34 pm

I have been to Medford also and i visited a GI Joe's and it was a great place! Is there a Cabela's in Oregon? Maybe the magazine was showing things to do in Oregon not Bend, with all the pics of salmon?

What can you catch in Bend, Sister's and Redmond Rivers/Streams? Brook, Browns, Cut throat, Rainbow only? I hear Prineville has Bass, Catfish and other panfish.

Where i'm at it is a 3 hour drive for good trout fishing and a 30 minute drive for Sturgeon, Striper and bay fish. Bass ,Cats and panfish are everywhere here if the aren't fished out.

I love the taste of Pheasant and Quail so i'm sure Grouse would be top knotch! :thumbsup:
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby Oregon Honker » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:46 pm

I do a lot of sturgeon,salmon,steelhead fishing on the columbia ! but the lakes and rivers up there you are limited to Rainbows,Browns,Kockine,bass and pan fish.
if you dont mind a little drive salmon and steelhead are verry good on the lower Deschutes :thumbsup:
Killem
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby EXTREMA » Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:23 pm

I just watched a fishing show in Maupin Or and they caught some nice trout!

Is there alot of public land or access to rivers in Central Or? Here almost any water access is private property/no tresspassing. If it is public it's crowded or fished-out.
I love the fog and rain!
EXTREMA
hunter

Postby Oregon Honker » Wed Sep 06, 2006 5:16 pm

most of the rivers here are public friendly in OR i think their is a law that just passed that allows so much footage is acessable from rivers edge !!

Ithink it was just a couple years ago that that passed along any Oregon river :thumbsup:
Killem
Oregon Honker
Forum & State Moderator

Postby younggun19 » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:23 pm

Lots and lots and lots of good hunting and fishing in Bend and the surrounding areas. The trout fishing out there is phenominal! Wikiup Resevoir and Paulina Lake have HUGE brown trout and a lot of kokanees, and when I say huge I am talking about brown trout over 30 pounds. While ones that big are not common, every single year someone catches one over 20 pounds. We used to catch a lot in the 3-8 pound range on really light tackle, what a blast! Craine Prarie used to be great fishing for rainbows, but the bass have pretty much taken over. There are a lot of really nice bass in there now though, and some other panfish as well. Most of the rivers and streams down there also have great fishing and public access, with not a lot of pressure. There is also some really good mule deer hunting, elk hunting, waterfowl, chuckar, dove, quail, predators, jack rabbits, and on and on in that area. Bachelor is also very close, and has great skiing and snowboarding if you are into that type of thing. Anyway, you are going to love the place...never ending outdoors.
younggun19
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting