sauvies

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

sauvies

Postby DirtyD » Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:33 pm

I'm heading out wednesday to sauvies for the first time this year. I hear certain areas require a boat due to high water. What areas are going to be problematic without a boat or dog? Thanks guys hope everyone is having a good season.
DirtyD
hunter

Re: sauvies

Postby ORquackkiller » Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:36 pm

I havent been out there in the last few weeks but i would say that ALOT of places will be problematic without a dog or boat. On the West side, I would stay away from certain blinds on Mud lake, Im sure alot of Holman Point and Crane are flooded. Seal lake you may be able to work with? On the East side, You should be fine in any roam unit but i would stay away from Mcnary or Malarky. Even at Racetrack and Mudhen you may need a dog if you have a bird beyond 15 yards from the blind? They have a tendency to get deep.

Wish i had more info, but i have been sitting out the season for a while to tend to family matters. Good luck.
ORquackkiller
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:21 pm

In high water, it's not just a matter of having a dog to retrieve ducks but, you won't be able to set and pick up your blocks.
It's been raining pretty steady for the last 20-24 hours over here. I would expect the water to be back on the rise these next 2 days.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby DirtyD » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:46 pm

Thanks guys, I appreciate the heads up.
DirtyD
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:44 pm

A little late but for the future I would stay away from the west side all together and stay inside the dike on the eastside, you could probably still get to the Aaron blinds, depending on your height, and I have not been to racetrack in years so cannot speak on that. Go out to the check station on a hunt day and talk to the attendants, let em know your situation and they will help you out. Although hunting anything but Hunt and Mudhen without a dog would be a pain with all the standing corn out there
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Wed Jan 02, 2013 10:28 am

Tipsntails7 wrote:A little late but for the future I would stay away from the west side all together and stay inside the dike on the eastside, you could probably still get to the Aaron blinds, depending on your height, and I have not been to racetrack in years so cannot speak on that. Go out to the check station on a hunt day and talk to the attendants, let em know your situation and they will help you out. Although hunting anything but Hunt and Mudhen without a dog would be a pain with all the standing corn out there

Don't know if I'd call it "standing" corn.
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:42 am

Ya your probably right although pope an footbridge still have quite a bit of it left up. stutzer has some on the edges, have not gotten on to rentenaar in quite a while so cannot speak on that. There's plenty out there to lose cripples in Ifyour not careful is all I'm saying.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Wed Jan 02, 2013 11:52 am

You're totally right, I'm just joking around.
Rentenaar is all blown down.
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby Tipsntails7 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:39 am

That's to bad makes it a tuff hide out there especially in a few spots.
How's my spelling WTN10

Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:46 pm

True.
But some times it doesn't seem to matter. We had some of our best decoying sitting on 5-gal buckets in the flattened corn on a blue bird day. Dumb birds...
Jim Atlas
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting