Sauvie Island Duck Club, Worth it?

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

Sauvie Island Duck Club, Worth it?

Postby Bennellislayer » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:15 pm

Hello everyone I am going to spend next season in Oregon and am currently in the Navy in Cuba, I get out soon and have been looking for some places to hunt in Oregon. I am looking to get in on a leas or club and have been reading a lot on this SIDC and was wondering if anyone thinks the $2000 price is worth it? They say that they harvest around 2000 ducks annually. Also if anyone has a leas hit me up if you think you will have room next season, I come from Nashville, TN so I have always hunted the Miss, flyway, can't wait to hit the NW.
Bennellislayer
Newb

Re: Sauvie Island Duck Club, Worth it?

Postby duckstoppa » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:23 pm

I have been there twice had fun but feels better to do it your self.
WAR VALLEY WATERFOWLERS
duckstoppa
hunter

Postby MNtransplant » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:27 pm

Here's my two cents. Take the off-season and get familiar with the Sauvie Island Wildlife unit. It's open to train and hike around. Get the map of the units and boundaries. Hook up with some guys who can fill you in on applying for reservations and the walk on procedures. Pluses are its free and they do a great job with their management of the area. Once you get this down you can salutations for other areas and always have a fall back plan. To me it's virtually the same thing as getting in on these clubs on SI and won't cost you two grand.
MNtransplant
hunter

Postby tealdog » Tue Dec 18, 2012 9:53 am

I'm curious as to how the one-man think he knows exactly which club this is. I'm sure there are many that cost two grand. Clubs are what they are. If your only goal is to shoot a big pile of ducks and not many guys killed 2000, then yeah go for it.
tealdog
hunter

Postby labsforme » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:16 pm

If the name Spada is involved welllllllll there is money much better spent. To get into the good clubs usually takes time. The wildlife area can be good especially if you wait out the Nimrods :)
labsforme
hunter

Postby Bennellislayer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 1:47 pm

Thank Guys for your input, I have emailed the club and am waiting on a reply as to find out how many members they have and exactly how many ducks were harvested the last few seasons. It is a club ran by a guy named Ron and they have a website literally called SIDC.com. I know very little about this SI at all but seems to be a place were a lot of people go. I just want a place were each day I know I have a good spot to go, as I am sure everyone does, without having to worry about if I can find a spot in public land. As I said I haven't hunted in about 4 years now due to the Military so when I get out and hunt next season I want to try to get in at least 4 to 5 days a week of hunting, like the good ole days ya know, lol.
Bennellislayer
Newb

Postby Bennellislayer » Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:34 pm

labsforme wrote:If the name Spada is involved welllllllll there is money much better spent. To get into the good clubs usually takes time. The wildlife area can be good especially if you wait out the Nimrods :)

Hey there labs, looks like that is the club your talking about, Spada. Have you not had good luck with those guys?
Bennellislayer
Newb

Postby labsforme » Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:48 pm

Hey Jon any comments :lol3:
Guys If you want details PM me.
labsforme
hunter

Postby Antonio Zoli » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:33 pm

If I had the time and money, I'd take three or four guided hunts on the island, or make a road trip out to SE WA in the second half of the season and hunt with a guide, or a day hunt or two at Eagle Lakes in Othello, and spend a bunch of free days hunting the state refuge on Sauvie. The east and westside complexes have a lot of neat areas to hunt, with the usual caveats, skybusters, numbskulls, no birds, but if you live in or near PDX, you can't beat the quick easy hunts on the island. Spend $1k or so on a few good guided trips (Eric Strand is another popular outfitter in the Portland area), and a lot of free time on the wildlife refuge, spread the wealth, learn about more areas you can hunt around here, you'll have more fun exploring. If you dump all your money into a club, you won't see or enjoy nearly as much as you can around here. Also, for all kinds of waterfowl hunting discussion in Oregon, check out the hunting thread at a website called ifish. Last, don't get in a boat with someone on the Columbia river unless you are very sure they know what they are doing. The river claims lots of hapless fishermen each year, and will surely freeze and drown a careless duck hunter as well.
Antonio Zoli
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Dec 19, 2012 11:20 pm

labsforme wrote:Hey Jon any comments :lol3:
Guys If you want details PM me.

Oh, go ahead and post it. I have heard MANY rumors.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Bennellislayer » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:58 am

Hey Zoli thanks for the long reply. Yea I for sure want to do some exploring in Oregon, I have read about a lot of good places to go, just gotta start networking. Yea good advise on the river, we got Kentucky Lake back home and it can be similar, trust me though I will for sure make sure they know why they are doing, I was on the water here in Cuba working when Sandy hit, that was a scary situation, LOL. One thing I would Love to do is get on some diver hunting as well and hit up the coast. Is Astoria a good place?
Bennellislayer
Newb

Postby Taggin Turkeys » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:59 pm

I've hunted SI Duck Club and a member at one time. It depends what you mean by worth it. If you like to shoot lots of shells and lots of ducks yes it's worth it. And two grand is not expensive for a club that averages over 2000 ducks minimum a year. Also Spada is a really nice guy and a very hardcore hunter. He has hunted the island since the 1960's and has shot lots of ducks and hunted not to mention started a lot of the premier clubs on the island. I find it funny that people base their decision of someone by the "MANY RUMORS" to include the moderator "TEALER" when they haven't been there or hunted with the man themselves. Than man hunts everyday of the season and has done this since he could walk. He is hard core and a good friend..........
Taggin Turkeys
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:20 pm

No need to hijack this thread to personally attack someone - a little uncalled for.

Taggin Turkeys wrote:... to include the moderator "TEALER" when they haven't been there ...
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:06 pm

Honestly, 2000 birds for a club doesn't seem like much if they have more than 10 members. If you do the math, 10 hunters averaging 5birds/day and hunting just 40 days of the season that is 2000 birds. You are talking like you will hit nearly 70-80 days or, at least 60. In some clubs, that isn't even possible due to rest days or days per member limitations. Alot of that comes down to how well they manage and the size of the property.
I personally would not pay that much for hunts that are out of my control. For $2K you can do a ton of freelance hunting and learn more areas and types of ducking that will be usable in the future, with out an additional payment to a club each year.
Will you be stationed at Swan Island or down in Astoria.
PM me when you get here and maybe I can get you out or at least help some depending on your targeted birds.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 2:46 pm

Taggin Turkeys have we met? Have we hunted together?

Clubs are tough to run. It's hard to keep the same few blinds shooting well all year. There are a couple that do it right. Most however....
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby cwsmith » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:23 am

QH's Paw wrote:I personally would not pay that much for hunts that are out of my control. For $2K you can do a ton of freelance hunting and learn more areas and types of ducking that will be usable in the future, with out an additional payment to a club each year.

:ditto:
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby Taggin Turkeys » Thu Feb 07, 2013 11:50 am

Tealer.... Have u hunted SIDC? Oh that's right you go by rumors....I'm sure u have managed a lot of clubs.
Taggin Turkeys
hunter

Postby Tealer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:26 pm

Taggin Turkeys wrote:Tealer.... Have u hunted SIDC? Oh that's right you go by rumors....I'm sure u have managed a lot of clubs.

I know this club. It's rather famous. So is the guy who runs it. I have no interest in ever hunting it. I know your friends with the guy that runs it, that's fine I'm not judging him or you.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting