USIA Waders...who owns a pair? how do they holdup?

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

USIA Waders...who owns a pair? how do they holdup?

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Dec 28, 2012 3:02 pm

Since this is an Oregon made product, I figured I would post this here. I have a thread up in the HH, http://www.duckhuntingchat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=216758, and the USIA waders were mentioned. Seems to claim to be the toughest waders on the market, and with the military applications, that very well may be true. Anyone have a pair? How do you like them?
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: USIA Waders...who owns a pair? how do they holdup?

Postby QH's Paw » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:04 pm

They are in the next town over from where I live and I know nothing about them. I will ask around and let you know what I find. :thumbsup:
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:06 pm

QH's Paw wrote:They are in the next town over from where I live and I know nothing about them. I will ask around and let you know what I find. :thumbsup:

thanks Paw! :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Tealer » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:31 pm

Your not going to be able to get durability report, he started making them 4 months ago? There is a pretty informative thread on IFish.net. I have seen his dry suit work and its pretty good, but I have yet to see any one with a repot on his waders. Nice guy, great company, just a very new product.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:38 pm

Tealer wrote:Your not going to be able to get durability report, he started making them 4 months ago? There is a pretty informative thread on IFish.net. I have seen his dry suit work and its pretty good, but I have yet to see any one with a repot on his waders. Nice guy, great company, just a very new product.

I read the thread in it's entirety before posting this thread. I realize they are new, but he's been making wet suits for a long time and it's the same process. What about the material used? Will it stand up to the abuse as he claims it will?

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Tealer » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:18 am

Indaswamp wrote:
Tealer wrote:Your not going to be able to get durability report, he started making them 4 months ago? There is a pretty informative thread on IFish.net. I have seen his dry suit work and its pretty good, but I have yet to see any one with a repot on his waders. Nice guy, great company, just a very new product.

I read the thread in it's entirety before posting this thread. I realize they are new, but he's been making wet suits for a long time and it's the same process. What about the material used? Will it stand up to the abuse as he claims it will?

His suits hold up well. The boot tread is my concern, that and how the waders hold up to hunting. Open water wetsuits get less abuse then waders I think.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Indaswamp » Sat Dec 29, 2012 12:21 am

can't beat his warranty though...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby FowlOffspring » Sat Dec 29, 2012 11:48 pm

I could walk to USIA from my house and my dad used to work there and knows just about everyone in there. The waders are probably the toughest waders you can buy. The guys and gals down there made my dad a gun case out of diving suit material one time for Christmas and that that thing is indestructible. The Velcro that they used was so aggressive that with a gun in the case, it floated the gun for a little bit before it started to sink.
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby Garand » Sun Dec 30, 2012 8:33 pm

Any idea what kind, if any, insulation is in the boots?
Garand
hunter

Postby LowerRiver » Mon Dec 31, 2012 10:44 pm

Garand wrote:Any idea what kind, if any, insulation is in the boots?

He has a bunch of different styles of boots and he will also put any other compatible boot you want. These can be as custom as you want them to be. He started adding shell loops and pockets too.
LowerRiver
Newb

Postby Tipsntails7 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 3:22 pm

Saw a guy at Sauvies the other day that had them in what looked like atacs camo, asked how he liked em and said they were good, although he didn't seem to have anything exceptional to say. Time will definatly tell, one dip into a briar bush will let you know as well.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby jumprif » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:13 pm

I've used mine 6 days now,mine have the muck boot.The good-boot traction didn't slip on snow/ice and mud,stayed warm in temps 0-20F,Fit-they are taller then others i have had(fits right in arm pits),They stay up w/shoulder straps off,can go to knees and back up w/o bunching/binding.worked great for putting on tire chains,material seems very tuff and went through bushes that can take out "light weight breathables" so far so good.
The bad-The shoulder buckle almost sits in the shooting pocket,A big red logo in the middle of the chest,They are not stealth when walking if you plan to sneek hunt in them( material makes a crinkle noise).No dead grass or camo color for a base color choice.
They are a little heavier then light weight breathables,but much lighter than non-neopreme insulated waders.I stayed warm standing in snow and didn't sweat on the walk in.Did order the boot 1 size extra for a extra pair of thick socks or foot warmer thing to be added since they are not insulated.Hope this helps
jumprif
Newb

Postby Tealer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:51 pm

I'm going to order a pair. They won't be here for the season. I have seen a few pairs now, and a couple dive suits. Seems to be much higher quality then anything I have used in the past.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Tipsntails7 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:01 pm

Tealer what kind of boots are you getting on them? I've heard he can put dang near any boot you want on them. Opens the door to a TON of options.
How's my spelling WTN10

ByersFarm wrote:Barrel stickers are about as cool as a handjob on your honeymoon?

DUCK-DAWG wrote:I would feel safer straddling a pool noodle than paddling along in that widowmaker.
Tipsntails7
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:18 pm

Tipsntails7 wrote:Tealer what kind of boots are you getting on them? I've heard he can put dang near any boot you want on them. Opens the door to a TON of options.

I'm not totally sure I want a deep bud cleat. I am hoping to put a muck style on them, we will see. I will work all the details out when I go in to get fitted.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:56 pm

I went in wednesday and got fitted. He had another proto boot option when I was there and I ordered mine with those. The tread on the boots seemed better than most. Also, my impression of the ones i tried on was that they were lighter than breathables. I'm surprised at the above statement about them being heavier than breathables.
I'll let you know what i think of them after I get them and hunt in them. :thumbsup:
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting