Its bad!

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

Its bad!

Postby yellowlabhunter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:25 am

In CA. Colusa rice area. You Oregon gents, we are not seeing any birds....have they left your area....is it cold enough that they have even reached your state? It has been a terrible season....last yr was also not good! So if someone gets time let me know how you guys are doing and what you see and hear?

Be well.
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Re: Its bad!

Postby Webfootslayer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:01 pm

:crying:
Last edited by Webfootslayer on Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:03 pm

Very very slow in central oregon as well the birds just haven't come down yet or if they did they've blown right past us that's for sure. Still in the blind but we've only seen 11 ducks & have 3 n the bag. Not much shootn going on in the valley for being a weekend either. The ponds r froze w about 6" of ice & we've been toppn out in the mid 20's so the birds should b coming down.
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby yellowlabhunter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:23 pm

Thanks Web for taking the time for the info. It doesn't look good!

Be well
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:50 pm

Worst counts in years as far as the aerial surveys.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby yellowlabhunter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 12:55 pm

Thanks Tealer.....what's going here....too much water everywhere down here and too many areas to sit without pressure.
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:15 pm

Exact opposite for us very little open water & tons of pressure. Birds are very wary of spreads unless they look very realistic for this time of year. Those in the know & who do their homework can produce.we've just changed our spread from the morning hunt to an afternoon rester spread just sucks we've only seen maybe 25 ducks all morning & this spot is usualy as fast as u can reload & pickup birds your shootn again. Definately not a banner year by far.
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby yellowlabhunter » Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:03 pm

I don't know what to say....I will say this, if someone tells me its been a great year south of the Oregon border I will smile and keep moving on. Even the clubs in the Suisun marsh where I still hunt on occasion 2 clubs have shot 90% less this yr than the same time last yr! It is so bad I can't wait for Summer. Saved a bunch of money on ammo. Thanks for the replys.
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:41 am

Lots of birds in all the fields up in NW Washington. Still a pile of them in B.C. Very mild and lots of rain. Been a decent season overal. A lot of the corn complexes are holding a ton a birds in Eastern Washington. That may be another culprit for less birds down south.
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby cwsmith » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:35 am

i've been seeing birds just fine in the willamette valley.. they are definitely wary of decoys, but patternable birds. it does feel like migration is stalled as i am working the same birds every day
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:45 am

h2ofowlr wrote:Lots of birds in all the fields up in NW Washington. Still a pile of them in B.C. Very mild and lots of rain. Been a decent season overal. A lot of the corn complexes are holding a ton a birds in Eastern Washington. That may be another culprit for less birds down south.

That's been a problem for a few years now & I think its just gonna get worse as the years go on unfortunately & Cw I sure hope ur seeing birds in the valley guess that's why ur over there instead of Redmond huh. Hunting the desert is a little harder less water more pressure oh & of course its a lot colder here as well
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:47 am

cwsmith wrote:i've been seeing birds just fine in the willamette valley.. they are definitely wary of decoys, but patternable birds. it does feel like migration is stalled as i am working the same birds every day

Don't take this wrong CW but, why are your bird counts so low if you are "seeing birds just fine"?
As for migration stall, I never saw anything up to now that indicated a migration start. I live right by the Columbia and drive over it and alongside of it nearly every day. The only time I saw decent numbers on the river was right before the season and by the time I got home from my WY elk hunts at the end of October most the birds were already MIA.
I'm not saying there are not or, haven't been, birds, just saying their numbers, in general for these parts, have been low or non existant in comparison to previous years.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Thax » Sun Jan 06, 2013 1:00 pm

Its been hit and miss for me this year for ducks. Some days red-hot quick limits and others so so. The goose hunting has been great in the permit zone like always.
Thax
hunter

Postby yellowlabhunter » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:29 pm

To all,

Thank you for the feedback and taking the time. Its been a strange year and disappointing all the same. I think this could be the norm for us in CA. It has been changing little more and more. Less birds and coming very late near end of the season.
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Postby Pepper1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:17 pm

seemed better earlier in the season

12 Mallards
9 teal
2 woodies
4 widgeon
3 pintail
6 canada's
1 coot - LOL, shot it on a busted day for something for my bored Lab Pepper to swim for
Pepper1
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:08 pm

Pepper its always good early season & a lot easier to fill the bag imo because we r shooting the yearly hatchlings & mama's. The birds I really love r the mature northerns that have been pounded all the way down the migration & I'm still able to work em close & crumble em in the pocket. Harder huntn YES more rewarding YOU KNOW IT.
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby Pepper1 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 9:17 am

yup, very true, some big birds flying yesterday, Sprigs, had the whistle out all morning. An ODFW dude told me NW Washington, ( Skagit, act) is having an epic season, best ever is what he said. No ice at all has kept the birds there. Things may change this week tho! I hope, we need some of them Northren mallards. I used to live and hunt up there, now I wish I still do, NOT !
Pepper1
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Fri Jan 11, 2013 12:06 am

QH's Paw wrote:
cwsmith wrote:Don't take this wrong CW but, why are your bird counts so low if you are "seeing birds just fine"?
I'm not saying there are not or, haven't been, birds, just saying their numbers, in general for these parts, have been low or non existant in comparison to previous years.

webfootslayer wrote:That's been a problem for a few years now & I think its just gonna get worse as the years go on unfortunately & Cw I sure hope ur seeing birds in the valley guess that's why ur over there instead of Redmond huh. Hunting the desert is a little harder less water more pressure oh & of course its a lot colder here as well

As far as bird numbers being low, I do what I can, and think I do well, as a full time college student with no dog, no boat, limited resources as far as decoys, and being mostly bound to public land. So I think that answers that pretty well.

I got some pretty good hunts in Central Oregon this year. Areas where I almost never see other hunters at - public land at that. Only major setback for me was my hunting areas freezing over and me being a learning hunter - there have always been plenty of birds all year
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby Thax » Mon Jan 14, 2013 11:39 am

Last day for duck and goose in the valley.
Attachments
003.JPG
001.JPG
Thax
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:40 pm

yellowlabhunter wrote:I don't know what to say....I will say this, if someone tells me its been a great year south of the Oregon border I will smile and keep moving on.

You better start moving then. I'm south of the Oregon border and it's been an outstanding year. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
Mean Gene
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting