Deschutes Pepperoni

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Deschutes Pepperoni

Postby pisspoorfisherman » Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:16 am

Had a good Saturday on the Deschutes. Burned quite a few calories trudging through knee deep snow, but the hard work paid off. Even if most of it is grinder meat....
Attachments
20130105_171449.jpg
pisspoorfisherman
hunter

Re: Deschutes Pepperoni

Postby UmatillaJeff » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:23 pm

Looks like nice pile of golden eyes. do you eat the fish ducks or boil them for the dog?
Count all the times you shoot a bird on the water. This will teach you about how effective the shells you think are so great are.
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:29 pm

UmatillaJeff wrote:Looks like nice pile of golden eyes. do you eat the fish ducks or boil them for the dog?

Last I've heard goldeyes mainly feed on vegatation but like all waterfowl I'm sure they do eat invertabrates & some fish, now mergazers like that dandy 1 eat almost nothing but fish so shoot every last 1 of them smolt eatn bastards.
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Jan 06, 2013 7:38 pm

Webfootslayer wrote:
UmatillaJeff wrote:Looks like nice pile of golden eyes. do you eat the fish ducks or boil them for the dog?

Last I've heard goldeyes mainly feed on vegatation but like all waterfowl I'm sure they do eat invertabrates & some fish, now mergazers like that dandy 1 eat almost nothing but fish so shoot every last 1 of them smolt eatn bastards.

I have never cleaned a goldeneye that had fish in it.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby pisspoorfisherman » Mon Jan 07, 2013 7:48 pm

The best pepperoni sticks I've ever eaten had a ton of diver meat in it. I've often times wondered if the cleanliness of the river has anything to do with it?
pisspoorfisherman
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:04 pm

Tealer wrote:
Webfootslayer wrote:

I have never cleaned a goldeneye that had fish in it.

I agree with Tealer. I have killed tons of GE and never have I seen a fish.
Now common mergansers, that's a different story. Sometimes Mergies are puking fish when we kill them.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:08 pm

pisspoorfisherman wrote:The best pepperoni sticks I've ever eaten had a ton of diver meat in it. I've often times wondered if the cleanliness of the river has anything to do with it?

Its cuz the majority of your bag from the looks of it eat vegatation 95% of the time. Merganzers eat nothing but fish next time u get both take a look @ the bills enough said
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:00 am

i've had tons of chances on mergansers but almost always pass when i see them just because i don't really like to eat them. do most of you pass on them as well or shoot them despite their taste to try to 'save some fish?'
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:45 am

cwsmith wrote:i've had tons of chances on mergansers but almost always pass when i see them just because i don't really like to eat them. do most of you pass on them as well or shoot them despite their taste to try to 'save some fish?'

The choice is yours being the conservationists we are. Ask yourself what resources do u want to protect & control over population of?Conserve just ducks or do your part & conserve both waterfowl & fish.I personally will shoot them but you'll never see a single 1 in my pics :biggrin: I have a buddy of mine that just loves em & will take everyone that he can get he even passes on puddlers to shoot em. :eek: needless to say I'll never eat his jerky he brings w him hunting lol
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Tue Jan 08, 2013 3:33 pm

yeah the only kind i would want to shoot is a drake hooded merganser cause i have not gotten one yet. i guess i just don't want to shoot anything that will literally not result in any harvest.. so i always leave coots and mergansers alone. if i had a dog to make duck jerky for or something, then maybe that would change my mind
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Tue Jan 08, 2013 5:23 pm

Just about every1 I hunt w has been able to get their Hoodies for the wall this year. We get 1 or 3 every trip. Getting ready to mount a pair on a piece of cool looking beaver chewed driftwood this week.just wait for my shipment from Research Mannikins to come in.
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:36 am

i had one on the crooked river in my sights at 30 yards and i just kept waiting for him to come closer for a better shot... and he spotted me and flew... i was so mad at myself :no: sometimes just too patient. ahh well
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Wed Jan 09, 2013 8:49 am

Anything under 30 yards my mossberg & kents turn it into a mess unless I'm using #6's most of my shots r always over 30 yards esp on birds for the wall. The only time we shoot under 30 yards is on youth hunts then we want em right off the end of the barrel for them kids
Webfootslayer
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting