Duck Hunting Forum banner

Deschutes Pepperoni

3K views 12 replies 6 participants last post by  Webfootslayer 
#1 ·
Had a good Saturday on the Deschutes. Burned quite a few calories trudging through knee deep snow, but the hard work paid off. Even if most of it is grinder meat....

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
Webfootslayer said:
UmatillaJeff said:
Looks like nice pile of golden eyes. do you eat the fish ducks or boil them for the dog?
Last I've heard goldeyes mainly feed on vegatation but like all waterfowl I'm sure they do eat invertabrates & some fish, now mergazers like that dandy 1 eat almost nothing but fish so shoot every last 1 of them smolt eatn bastards.
I have never cleaned a goldeneye that had fish in it.

#6 ·
Tealer said:
Webfootslayer said:
UmatillaJeff said:
Looks like nice pile of golden eyes. do you eat the fish ducks or boil them for the dog?
Last I've heard goldeyes mainly feed on vegatation but like all waterfowl I'm sure they do eat invertabrates & some fish, now mergazers like that dandy 1 eat almost nothing but fish so shoot every last 1 of them smolt eatn bastards.
I have never cleaned a goldeneye that had fish in it.
I agree with Tealer. I have killed tons of GE and never have I seen a fish.
Now common mergansers, that's a different story. Sometimes Mergies are puking fish when we kill them.

#7 ·
pisspoorfisherman said:
The best pepperoni sticks I've ever eaten had a ton of diver meat in it. I've often times wondered if the cleanliness of the river has anything to do with it?
Its cuz the majority of your bag from the looks of it eat vegatation 95% of the time. Merganzers eat nothing but fish next time u get both take a look @ the bills enough said

#9 ·
cwsmith said:
i've had tons of chances on mergansers but almost always pass when i see them just because i don't really like to eat them. do most of you pass on them as well or shoot them despite their taste to try to 'save some fish?'
The choice is yours being the conservationists we are. Ask yourself what resources do u want to protect & control over population of?Conserve just ducks or do your part & conserve both waterfowl & fish.I personally will shoot them but you'll never see a single 1 in my pics :biggrin: I have a buddy of mine that just loves em & will take everyone that he can get he even passes on puddlers to shoot em. :eek: needless to say I'll never eat his jerky he brings w him hunting lol

#10 ·
yeah the only kind i would want to shoot is a drake hooded merganser cause i have not gotten one yet. i guess i just don't want to shoot anything that will literally not result in any harvest.. so i always leave coots and mergansers alone. if i had a dog to make duck jerky for or something, then maybe that would change my mind

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.