Returning to Or

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

Returning to Or

Postby Chessie » Tue Aug 29, 2006 12:37 pm

Hey All,
I've moved back to Or. after a few years absense and was hoping for a few words of advice. I didn't have a dog when I lived here before, and did most of my hunting on sauvie. After watching people skybust all day and getting hit with pellets on three consecutive trips while siiting in the blind, I am looking for some new areas this season.
I scouted the Lewis & Clark area (troutdale), whick looked promising, although the water was way down. Any Tips??? I also checked out rooster rock, which looked very small.
I don't have a boat (yet) but I've got a good dog and will travel anywhere thats a 1 or two day trip from Portland. Mostly interested in public areas that aren't too crowded, I don't mind if the hunting is slow. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers. :salude:
Long Live The Beast
Chessie
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:53 pm

Lewis and Clark by troutdale is a great place to go when the water gets up a bit higher. lots of guys i know hunt that sandy river delta area too.

Sauvie is still a zoo, but they kill a lot of birds there..the westside is much better for people who have some sort of hunting manners...the eastside is horrible for skybusting.

if you hurry you may be able to put in for reservations on the Umatilla (McKormick) WMA. it's a bit of a drive east, but if you get a good draw it's worth the drive. reservations have to be in by sept 5th...so you may not make this year's list. you can always go down there and hunt on standby. people do this too with some success.

welcome back!!
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby Chessie » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:41 am

Thanks for the info, I'm off to bang on doors for pheasnt season this weekend. Maybe I'll give savie another try. Cheers.
Long Live The Beast
Chessie
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting