Sauvie Island Hunting

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Sauvie Island Hunting

Postby downhilltilt24 » Wed Jan 16, 2013 4:09 pm

Hey so I'm looking for some experiences of hunting sauvie island. I've done a lot of research and read their beginner's guide specifiying all the guidelines for a prospective hunter. I have a few questions, what's your favorite , east, west, or north area. do you like the blinds or the roaming area. Also a big thing for me, Are the water areas deep? I don't have a boat and if I'm working on the edge of a lake with decoys I don't want to have to worry about shooting a duck that makes it 30 yards past the bank and in the water and realizing i'd never be able to retrieve it due to waders filling up.
downhilltilt24
hunter

Re: Sauvie Island Hunting

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Jan 16, 2013 9:59 pm

There are plenty of places out there that you can wade to your ducks. There are times when high water will affect that. Usually, on eastside and westside, when you go through the check station, the ODFW personnel can answer whether or not the unit or blind you want is huntable without a dog etc.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting