Goose hunting in the valley

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Goose hunting in the valley

Postby Quackersmacker208 » Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:36 pm

Anyone have advise on how to hunt these little geese in the permit zone? I have access to fields that are holding birds, but the cacklers/lessers didn't even consider my decoy spread during the first two periods. What type of decoy spreads/numbers do you need to be successful. I mostly hunt greaters in Idaho but have come to find out they are very different birds. Any advice is much appreciated!
Quackersmacker208
hunter

Re: Goose hunting in the valley

Postby FowlOffspring » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:07 pm

Lots and lots of decoys.
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:18 pm

While some say its not necessary I run big spreads for little geese. Some times over 200. I also think decoy quality matters too.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby FowlOffspring » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:08 pm

Tealer wrote:I also think decoy quality matters too.

x2
I would rather have nice looing decoys but while I dont have a job and have to worry about college costs here soon, It will be a while before I get a good looking spread but I guess what we have now works... lol :fingerhead:
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby Quackersmacker208 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 1:59 pm

That's what I was afraid of. I only have a couple dozen floaters and a dozen full bodies, my trailer and other five dozen full bodies are still in Boise. There has been little geese going into the ponds so I am hoping that hunting over water doesn't require as many decoys. Anyone ever have success over water or just fields in the valley?
Quackersmacker208
hunter

Postby FowlOffspring » Thu Jan 31, 2013 4:42 pm

3 dozen decoys should be plenty as long as youre where they want to be. Just spread them out and make your spread look bigger.
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:08 pm

Watch them extensively while they are on the pond & in different weather pattterns take notes of everything wind sunny/cloudy draw maps & how birds use it during these conditions yadda yadda then you have a playbook to go back on & know the deatils of making you most likely to succeed. I do this & have a doz crappy goose floaters & a couple doz hardcore sleepers & set up on a local loafing pond & just hammer em w above mentioned playbook. Once you figure it out don't overdo it or your only going to have a few good hunts versus a great season. Good luck bud.
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:02 pm

I have landed hundreds of cacks in a dozen full bodies, size does make it easier, but it can be done. they will not give you a passing glance however if they dont want to be there.
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby Quackersmacker208 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 2:17 pm

Well I didn't make it happen this weekend. All the geese changed their pattern because we've been so dry I think. Anyone have any success this weekend?
Quackersmacker208
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 6:55 pm

May be getting out this coming weekend. Usually I only get out once or twice throughout the late season for geese, and have had only mild success. It can be pretty slow some days. So we'll see.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby Quackersmacker208 » Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:32 pm

So it would appear. I was hoping the third period would be a slay fest this year because we had such a mild winter I never felt like the full migration went through. Last year the late flooding brought tons of birds so I am just keeping my fingers crossed and my schedule open. Good luck this weekend Jonesy!
Quackersmacker208
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting