What was your favorite bird of the season?

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

What was your favorite bird of the season?

Postby cwsmith » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:29 pm

What was your favorite bird harvested (or favorite hunt if you have a good story) this year?

It would be cool to see everyone's best bird of the season, so share yours!

Mine was probably this pair of gorgeous bull sprig out of Fern Ridge this month. And if I had to pick... probably the one on the left. :thumbsup:
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Re: What was your favorite bird of the season?

Postby QH's Paw » Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:55 pm

Too many to pick just 1.
Here is one at the front of the list.
My friend's daughter with here first successful hunt. She shot 3 BB drakes with her single shot .410.

Another near the top of the list is my 7 drake Broadbill limit. This was the main goal I'd set for myself this season and ended up not being nearly as easy as I had originally thought it would be.

And, of course, I can not leave out my SoCal hunt on Christmas eve. Where I harvested 2 mature Redheads, my first. I owe a huge thanks to the guys that devoted their hunt day to a guy they had only met on the internet up until the day of the hunt.

Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby FowlOffspring » Tue Jan 29, 2013 6:05 pm

Before last year, it had been probably 4 years since I had killed a nice bull sprig and before that my dad and grandpa and I used to go out and kill our one every single hunt. This year I was kind of hoping to be able to shoot a nice one and a day before the last day I was fortunate enough to.
Attachments
SAM_1323.jpg
SAM_1322.jpg
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:19 pm

The banded pintail I shot from my MarshRat this season in December. :yes:

Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby FowlOffspring » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:37 pm

njonesy_07 wrote:The banded pintail I shot from my MarshRat this season in December.

Boy, your'e one lucky guy jonesy.I have been wanting to kill a banded pintail for a looong time.
FowlOffspring
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:27 am

Mine would have to be a full barred speck in the beginning of the season which is still at the taxidermist & this snow I got on the last of season which is on its way to him as well. Both of these are few and far between here in the middle of the desert.the last 2 weeks were better than the last 2 months as far as amount of birds in the area to work.nothing better than big flocks workn the deks & a few unlucky 1's hittn the dirt :grooving:
Attachments
2013-01-27 11.44.34-1.jpg
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby jandh77 » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:52 pm

I have 4 that I am equally proud and stoked about. The first 2 I got on Jan 12th. Cwsmith and I got blind 6 at Fern Ridge on a standby. I had never killed a pintail before and there were a ton of them around. 2 hens and a drake flew behind our blind and when they came around the side I put down the drake with 1 shot. I was so exited about it that I was going to have it mounted. But then a little later another single drake landed on the ice outside the decoys. It decided it didn't want to be there and when it sprang up I put it down. The only mark I could see was one pellet hole on the neck just below the head. It also had a unique bill with 2 black spots on the right side. It's at the taxidermist now. The following Wednesday we got blind 9 on standby. I decided to use my single shot youth model 20 gauge that I bought when I was 12. I had killed many grouse and rabbits with it, but never a duck. I used it to dispatch a nice drake gadwall that cwsmith shot, but the first duck I really shot was a nice big old fat drake greenhead. It was about a 40 yard shot and it is the only mallard I've shot that hit the water stone dead. Perfect way to initiate that little gun to duck hunting. After 10:30 that morning I switched back to my 12 gauge. The 4th duck I'm proud of fell a little while after that. A drake pinnie flew by another blind and when they shot I looked over and saw it flying in our general direction. It was beyond 65 yards and wasn't going to come closer to us. I decided to take a whack and one shot put it down. I was so surprised that I started laughing in disbelief. It was a great season and I had a blast on several hunts with cwsmith.
Attachments
582660_10151243071821819_929448993_n.jpg
This pic shows the greenhead that fell to my 20 and the pintail I made the miraculous long shot on.
Second pintail. Getting mounted. Blind 6 1-12-13.jpg
My second pintail. Having it mounted.
My first pintail. Blind 6. 1-12-13.jpg
My first pintail.
jandh77
hunter

Postby Taggin Turkeys » Thu Feb 07, 2013 8:38 pm

i would say the snow goose i shot yesterday. only got one should have had three. oh well always this weekend.
Taggin Turkeys
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting