NW Sportsmans Show

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

NW Sportsmans Show

Postby Webfootslayer » Thu Feb 07, 2013 9:28 am

Anyone been to the show yet? Just wondering how many vendors/guides are there for waterfowling in Oregon. I haven't been in over 10 years & remember it was like cows @ slaughter house, to many people all lined up stacked tight wondering round aimlessly. Sure would like to hear about gear, hunting opportunities offered there for those of us in oregon. Also if there's any can't miss deals on gear?
Webfootslayer
hunter

Re: NW Sportsmans Show

Postby goosegunner12 » Fri Feb 08, 2013 10:01 am

I haven't been this year so i don't know for fact,but typically the waterfowling industry isn't represented real well at the sportsman show. It's to expensive for the small local type guides to justify getting a booth. Usually about the only waterfowlguides there are Bill Saunders and Darren Roe with Roe Outfiiters. As far as vendors again not much for waterfowl. sometimes the Bushnell booth will have some FA blind bags and other small Fa stuff. Some of the archery shops that carry Primos stuff may have some primos calls, but theres never really much for decoys or anything.

The Decoy Barn does have a booth this year so at least theres someone there you could get decoys,ammo and other stuff. Hevi shot has a booth to.

Rumor has always had it that the sportsman people show hated all the duck and goose calling. It's ok to hear elk bugling all day but the waterfowl stuff was to much, so thats why the OWF was started. Don't know if thats really why but thats the rumors i've always heard.
goosegunner12
hunter

Postby grnhd_shooter » Fri Feb 08, 2013 4:51 pm

I don't plan to go this year. The show should be called the Pacific NW Boat & Fishing Show. I'm an archery and waterfowl hunter. For the past 5+ years not a lot of either (except for the expensive fenced in "Ranch" deer/elk hunts). Plus there are very few real "great deals"
grnhd_shooter
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 10:43 am

I have been there all week, in the Decoy Barn booth. There is a little waterfowl stuff but if that's your primary drive wait for the OWF. We had the new GHG lesser and cackler decoys this week but I think we are out of cacklers.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Webfootslayer » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:04 pm

OWF it is. Last time I went it was outside of salem for a few years always have a blast there & the 1st I ever went to was in Saint helens or Scapposse I think but that was 10 yrs or so ago. Been a couple years since I've been to 1 so its time to get back to the festival.
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Sat Feb 09, 2013 2:54 pm

Tealer wrote:I have been there all week, in the Decoy Barn booth. There is a little waterfowl stuff but if that's your primary drive wait for the OWF. We had the new GHG lesser and cackler decoys this week but I think we are out of cacklers.
I think the new lessers look really good. Im gonna get a few dozen for next season.
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby duckstoppa » Sun Feb 10, 2013 4:27 pm

wetgoldenretriever wrote:
Tealer wrote:I have been there all week, in the Decoy Barn booth. There is a little waterfowl stuff but if that's your primary drive wait for the OWF. We had the new GHG lesser and cackler decoys this week but I think we are out of cacklers.
I think the new lessers look really good. Im gonna get a few dozen for next season.

Don't say that on ifish
WAR VALLEY WATERFOWLERS
duckstoppa
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Feb 10, 2013 5:02 pm

duckstoppa wrote:

Don't say that on ifish

No kidding.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:40 pm

Tealer wrote:
duckstoppa wrote:

Don't say that on ifish

No kidding.

I know DSD’s are a superior decoy, but to me I just try to keep good care of ghg’s and they never seem to flare birds. If I could afford it, I would have a huge spread of DSD’s.
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby Tealer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 2:42 pm

Tealer wrote:
duckstoppa wrote:

Don't say that on ifish

No kidding.

I know DSD’s are a superior decoy, but to me I just try to keep good care of ghg’s and they never seem to flare birds. If I could afford it, I would have a huge spread of DSD’s.

I have a huge spread of DSD's, A spread of the same size in GHG is just as effective. I would say with the new GHG posses and paint schemes, DSD could be in trouble.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Mon Feb 11, 2013 8:17 pm

I think they would have a long time ago if they could fix the paint problem.
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:22 pm

wetgoldenretriever wrote:I think they would have a long time ago if they could fix the paint problem.

I have a buddy that guides, has been running the Newbolds most of the season. If they make it through one of his seasons, they may have it down.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Tue Feb 12, 2013 11:24 pm

Tealer wrote:
wetgoldenretriever wrote:I think they would have a long time ago if they could fix the paint problem.

I have a buddy that guides, has been running the Newbolds most of the season. If they make it through one of his seasons, they may have it down.

That is what I wanted to Hear!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting