Malhuer/ Klammath snow report

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Malhuer/ Klammath snow report

Postby Webfootslayer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:36 am

I'm just wondering as these seasons approach if anyone is seeing any amount of snows in these areas. Can't find any info on guides & would really like to do my part to save the tundra up north. Is there any guides anyone would recommend for this hunt? I don't want any1's spots I can get my own just want to know if the skies are turning white yet.seems that this hunt isn't as popular as is it is east of the Rockies. Any info would b great as both of these hunts are 3+ hrs drive away but if some realiable info comes in I just might make the drive. Thanks
Webfootslayer
hunter

Re: Malhuer/ Klammath snow report

Postby JON » Tue Feb 19, 2013 1:58 pm

Now I know why you were defending the dude on the other thread. You were hoping someone would slip out some info so your cyber scouting would be easier. It is all becoming quite clear now.
JON
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:20 pm

If tryn to book a hunt w a guide is cyberscoutn then yep u got it jon
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby JON » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:37 pm

Oh... my mistake. I thought I read in your above post where you were asking if the skies were white. :huh:
JON
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:57 pm

Hmmm now let's see Jon I'm looking for a guide to book a hunt with and this type of depends on the migration would I really want to pay for a sunrise? I think not that's I was asking if anyone seeing anything so I could get an idea as when to book but thank God for pm's cuz some people have been useful yourself not included & to them thank you & the 1st round is on me @ OWF. why so few posts for a guy whose been on here 9 years. You have taught me thing Jon check profiles before even bothering w some people
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:43 pm

There is a good guide service down there, I cant remember the name off the top of my head. I have no idea about the bird numbers but with the weather id say its gonna be a tough year.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby JON » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:25 am

Dude... Your location is where I was planning on hunting tomorrow...

I don't even need to look at your profile to determine what kind of guy you are. :hi:
JON
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:21 pm

Jon do I even care what u think NOPE you talk a lot & don't say nothing. Thanks tealer I got ahold of a few guides down there I called the guy that makes the calls I use & he referred me to some
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:31 pm

If you called Basin calls, Dave would recommend the guy I was thinking of. Think it's called Roe outfitters?
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby wetgoldenretriever » Wed Feb 20, 2013 7:36 pm

Tealer wrote:If you called Basin calls, Dave would recommend the guy I was thinking of. Think it's called Roe outfitters?

Darren Roe? Just a shot in the dark.
dont shoot until you can see their toenails!
wetgoldenretriever
hunter

Postby FowlChase » Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:28 pm

Hey...Guided Webfootslayer...If your so confident about finding "your own spots to hunt", then why are you looking for a guide? Your not one of those guys that does your scouting on guided hunts are you? Darren Roe is a straight up guy and I dont think he would appreciate a guy like yourself trying to scab in on his areas. Why dont you get off your butt, drive down to the border, scout and knock on doors like the rest of us had to do 7 yrs. ago when these spring hunts started. You just wanna do your part to protect the tundra in the north? What a crock. Im gonna have to agree with Jon on this one. Cyber scouting just aint cool.
FowlChase
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 12:03 am

Tealer wrote:There is a good guide service down there, I cant remember the name off the top of my head. I have no idea about the bird numbers but with the weather id say its gonna be a tough year.

After talking to every1 down there from biologists, guides,motels gas stations & dave @ basin etc we've got our answers & decided to not come down & spend 10 days supporting the kfalls community. Instead Dave swung a sweet deal on some more gear for us & the rest of the money we are gonna spend on 4 doz DSD.
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby Tealer » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:17 am

The off season crankiness must be starting.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby labsforme » Thu Feb 21, 2013 10:28 am

Lighten up. the guy said he was looking for a guide. It's a private land hunt any way. Take your garbage back to Ifish. You might be good hunters but get off your high horses.
labsforme
hunter

Postby JON » Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:05 am

I'll be fine right where I am fellas. Free to post on this site just like you. You don't know anything about me so don't judge.

Apparently scouting for birds is a lost art. Hell...guys can't even do a google search these days. Easier to throw a post on a forum and have someone else do the work for you. :rolleyes:

Threads like this show weakness....pure weakness! Man up and grow a pair.
JON
hunter

Postby labsforme » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:44 pm

Jon, I am not saying go away or don't post but this guy was asking about guides,not hunting spots. You have never used a guide before? Do you freelance only ? Am I condemned for hunting a club? I have known of you for a long time and usually are on the same page but there's no reason to bash in this instance.

Jeff
labsforme
hunter

Postby JON » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:10 pm

No I have never used a guide. People who are in it for the kill use guides. People who are in it for the hunt do the work on their own. With the example of Darren Roe and Klamath Spring snows... If you book a hunt with this outfit and kill a pile of birds... fine by me. Sounds like a fun day! But calling this "hunting" is just lying to yourself. All you are is a triggerman. You did nothing other than shoot. Hunting is so much more than this.

...and no, I don't judge you for hunting a club. To each their own.

As for the original post.... It mentioned the guide thing but it was a blatant coverup for a stab in the dark internet scout. Re-read all of the OP's post and you can quickly realize that he never had any intention of booking a guide. The phone call would have been made...sure...but all he really wanted to know is whether the birds were there yet. :wink:
JON
hunter

Postby labsforme » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:40 pm

Jon, I guess I try to take things at face value. On a side note we may have met many times years ago at SI in the sweat line on the East side and on the West side. I had a black lab named Patty. Drove a white 93 F-150 with a canopy.You remember Denny too ? Keith in the white van? I still hunt the island,just a lot older and slower. Easier to pack DSDs by trailer and 4 wheeler. :thumbsup:

Jeff
Last edited by labsforme on Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
labsforme
hunter

Postby ochocoelkhntr » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:38 pm

jon im in the same boat webfootslayer is in we want to hunt but lack the funds to make the 4 hour drive for jsut a scouting trip hoping we see something and as far as your coment about people only using giudes so they can kill is compleate BS .. in my own situation if all i wanted to do was kill i would jsut go to work since i run a mobile slaughter truck .. its not about killing its about comradery hearing the call watching the birds being in the out doors ... if i could aford to do all the traveling i would go to southern or eastern or and do all my own scouting and get permission from the land owners and i would do the dirty work and get some birds my own damn self but i cant so i need a little help also FYI i have been using google as well as DU and odfw idfw to get info and have been getin very little also i have a few famly memebers that i have been in contact with trying to get the job done ... going to a forum was my last resort you have been more of a nusance than any sort of help
ochocoelkhntr
hunter

Postby JON » Thu Feb 21, 2013 4:52 pm

Good. If you haven't figured out, I was trying to be a nuisance... :biggrin: Don't take it personal though... I act this way with every internet scouter I come across.
JON
hunter

Postby cwsmith » Fri Feb 22, 2013 9:31 am

JON wrote:Good. If you haven't figured out, I was trying to be a nuisance... :biggrin: Don't take it personal though... I act this way with every internet scouter I come across.

internet scouting is an interesting topic. i've learned that it is a valuable tool. however, there are things that are smart to do and some that just make you look like a jerk.

Reading about the kinds of birds in an area, figuring out how to use an online plat map, looking at past data, spending HOURS looking at google maps and writing down potential areas to check out, learning the habits of different species... all good.

Asking other people to give you the information that they have spent their time and money to figure out about any of these things and expecting any results other than being told to do it yourself is not all good.

Scouting is half of the game when it comes to hunting waterfowl. Preparing gear, perfecting your knowledge, and putting it into application is the other 49%. But... when the shooting is the 1% reward you get for doing all of those things each and every bird harvested feels like that much more of a success than when you have it handed right to you.

Good hunting! :hammer:
13-14 Season

40 mallards
14 GWT
13 pin
10 spoony
10 buff
9 wigeon
8 rgnk
6 woodie
6 gad
5 barrow's ge
3 merg
3 ruddy
2 l scaup
1 g scaup
1 comm ge
1 can
TOTAL DUCKS = 132

77 canada
4 snow
2 speck
TOTAL GEESE = 83

TOTAL WATERFOWL = 215
cwsmith
hunter

Postby JON » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:27 am

Great post CW!

One thing I would add to your excellent commentary is that when you actually put the work and time in to HUNT... the level of respect for the quarry is considerably higher. I have no doubt that there are exceptions for every rule, but this phenomenon can be identified easily with a bit of common sense.

The man who is born into money doesn't see it the same way as one who worked his way to wealth. Neither is right nor wrong... just different.

I have hunted with many different personalities and hunting styles. It is pretty evident to me that most waterfowl hunters follow this rule.
JON
hunter

Postby ochocoelkhntr » Fri Feb 22, 2013 6:53 pm

i dont expect anyone to tell me where to go or what to do i am just trying to figure out were there birds are and am having a hard time at it from all angles in case you dont know malhuer co is the largest in the state there is a ton of ground to cover i dont want to waste my money or time if some one were to say check by town x then that gives me a place to start right then i go out and i can actualy find my own place to hunt but no you have to keep putting me down and making the new guy look like the bad guy guess what all that other internet scouting you guys keep mentioning i have been doing it for the last month and have even been in contact with fish and game i just want to be able to hunt and spend time in the field why not try to teach people instead of try to make them feal infurior just an idea
ochocoelkhntr
hunter

Postby JON » Sat Feb 23, 2013 1:08 am

While we are on the subject.... I plan on drawing an elk tag in the Ochoco's this year. Care to tell me where the big bulls hang out. btw... I have never elk hunted before.
JON
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Sat Feb 23, 2013 10:25 am

JON wrote:While we are on the subject.... I plan on drawing an elk tag in the Ochoco's this year. Care to tell me where the big bulls hang out. btw... I have never elk hunted before.

They are laughing at you on the other side of the private property sign. :umm:

CW so its ok to cyberscout & ask bout #'s & hunting then just as long as you do it through PM'S as you have in the past w me :huh:
Webfootslayer
hunter

Next

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting