Equipment to buy

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

Equipment to buy

Postby danielisright » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:17 pm

I am intersted in hunting duck/geese but I'm a little lost about how I should prepare.

I have been reading this forum, bought "game bird hunting in Oregon," read the regs about 10,000,000,000 times, and researched all kinds of things on the net.

But I still can't figure out why some duck calls cost $15 and some cost $150. What is the difference? Is something like the Primos beginner pack (with calls and movie) a good option? What works for ducks on Sauvie Island? (the closest spot to my house)

As for SI, the Westside and Eastside units seem very confusing to me so I was going to hunt the North unit. (walked around there during sept goose hunt) Any suggestions for someone who doesn't have a dog?

As for equipment I can't afford to go out and buy everything all at once. I will have to accumulate stuff over many many years. So what should I start with?

I have... a shotgun, non-waterproof camo clothes, uninsulated camo rain wear, and some waterproof boots on the way from Cabelas. I also have a small GPS and fanny pack.

I'm thinking that my priority should be insulated/waterproof clothes (pants and jacket) then decoys, then calls, then backpack, then... I'm not sure. (my cabela's wish list is getting longer by the day)

Any suggestions for someone who has never shot at a duck before would be helpful.
danielisright
hunter

Postby jjohnson_714 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:40 pm

i just started last year and... well... i hope you dont mind spending all of your savings then some... your best bet to start off is by having someone taking you out and showing you the ropes... there is A LOT of stuff you should know and you wont find most of it in the regs or other books... everything from how to hide, call, set up dekes... there's a bunch...

stuff you need besides that

decoys- a dozen or two ghg hotbuys to start... they are about the best deal out there for just starting a spread without much money... and you WILL buy more eventually.

a way to get ducks- if you are hunting over water, you will need a way to get to the ducks you shoot... and you have a few options... boat, dog, or hunt in the shallows where you can just walk out with your

waders- some may disagree with me, but i think that waders are a necessity for hunting over water... you can walk around and set up decoys, retrieve ducks, get to your spot... sure you can do that all from a boat, but you can pick up a pair for pretty darned cheap and it makes life sooo much easier...

calls?- that is a tough one... people may argue with me on this one, but you dont need calls to get ducks... casey and i did pretty well without doing much calling at all last year... the difference in price is what materials they are made of (acrylic vs molded plastic), and also there is a demand for the high end calls, so they can sell them for a lot more... i would start off with a duck commander, a primos wench, quackhead, or something cheap to start with, then after you get good at them, then give the spendy ones a go if you want... also a good drake whistle will do wonders and they are soooo easy to use...

im sure im forgetting a bunch, but im sure others will chime in where i left off... good luck man :thumbsup:
jjohnson_714
State Moderator

Postby danielisright » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:40 pm

The "how are you going to get the ducks" thing makes sense. A good pair of waders is probably the easiest way to go for me.

I am also talking with a co-worker who suggests that just pass shooting and puddle jumping can be done without much equip. Is something like that a possibility in the north unit at Sauvie Island?
danielisright
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:45 am

howdy.

first off, duck calls. the main difference in price is the materials used and how they are made. you will spend a lot more money for a custom made wood or acrylic call than you will for a molded poly (plastic) call. which doesn't mean that one is going to be better than the other for you.

i would recommend an Echo Poly Timber double reed for you. i hunt with one, eventhough i have a drawer full of 100 dollar calls, and it's a great begginer call. Sportsmans has them and the cost is about 30 bucks.

for gear.

get waders and a waterproof jacket. make this a priority. duck hunting happens around water and during nasty weather. being wet and cold is no way to enjoy a hunting trip...and trust me, you wil be wet and COLD!

as for Sauvie...forget the north unit. you'll be wasting your time. get out to the westside and get in line about 2 hours before legal shoot light. sit in your truck and wait for the guys to come by with a bag full of poker chips. pull a chip, then sit back and listen to AM 1580 on your radio for your number to be called. when you get up to the check in, just ask the guy where to go and he'll give you a hunting slip and a map. it may not be the best place, but it's better than the north end.

you will need decoys, but you don't need expensive ones. get those before you bother with a call. 2 dozen should get you started.

good luck
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby danielisright » Sun Oct 01, 2006 1:15 pm

Thanks for the tips. Do you need a party to hunt on the Westside unit and if so what is the min - max number of people?

I also see that most of the places in that unit are "fixed" locations. Can they all be hunted with just waders or do you need a dog for any of them?

Thanks for the help. I have been watching this forum since I got the itch to try waterfowl and have found it to be helpful. This is refreshing since I am learning that a lot of hunters are like a lot of fisherman: they are very protective of "their spot" (aka the place they hunted/fished last year) and not real interested in helping someone get into the sport. This is too bad since more hunters means more management revenue (licenses, tags, firearms) and a larger voting block who can demand more public hunting opportunities.

It's frustrating to feel like an intruder when you try to get some help in the field. Obviously not everyone is a jerk about it but you run into a few.
danielisright
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:45 pm

minimum group is 1 hunter...max is 4. waders will work for most everywhere on the west side. a dog is nice, but not needed.

yes, there are a lot of jerks out there. lol.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

bag too..........

Postby jmike » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:29 pm

found a bag too.......still same price :thumbsup:
dont shoot till there feet are down
jmike
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting