help with hunting places

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

help with hunting places

Postby ClusterBuster » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:27 pm

im a 14 year old who recently moved to hillsboro oregon from new mexico and im struggling a little bit on where to go duck hunting. in new mexico you could go to ponds at wildlife management areas and hunt there whenever you wanted as long as it was in season. are there any places where you can do that close to hillsboro? also what does hunting access area mean? can i hunt in those areas whenever i want to during season or do i have to get permits or permission? thank you
ClusterBuster
Newb

Re: help with hunting places

Postby duckstoppa » Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:48 pm

How would you get to a spot if I gave you one. Either your old man put you up to this or your not 14.
WAR VALLEY WATERFOWLERS
duckstoppa
hunter

Postby ClusterBuster » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:21 pm

my dad would take me next year. i cant go this year because its to late but im gonna learn about it so that i can learn for next year so i can teach my dad. my dad doesnt know about it because i always went with my uncle in NM but he said that he would get all the gear and take me as long as i knew what i was doing. so i need to know just some places that i could go hunting. i dont need any specific secret spots or anything like that. i just need to know where its legal to go hunting.
ClusterBuster
Newb

Postby duckstoppa » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:20 pm

Have you ever thought about reading the regulations, instead of asking the Internet.
WAR VALLEY WATERFOWLERS
duckstoppa
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:30 pm

Regulation book should be at the nearest Point of sale. In it you will find a list of all regulated hunt areas. Most state property is open to hunting, BLM and USFS also. But all have areas of no hunting near urban areas. You will need to get your NW goose permit, hunting License, State Waterfowl HIP, And federal waterfowl stamp. Sign it.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby JON » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:09 pm

:rolleyes:

young 'uns today.... all they know how to do is use a computer. Weak!
JON
hunter

Postby Utter chaos » Tue Sep 03, 2013 4:01 pm

Go get urself some maps find water find out if its open to hunt have fun
Utter chaos
hunter

Postby MNtransplant » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:58 pm

Why all the haters? You shouldn't discourage a young man trying to get into the sport. Look into Sauvie Island. It's not too far from Hiilsboro. Since you have a year to research head out there if you can during the day during the offseason and walk around to get the lay of the land. At SI you have to put in for a reservation. If you get selected you'll get a spot reserved for a blind, but its first come first serve for which blind so get out there early. At that point just don't sky bust...very annoying to people working ducks. If you get a reservation post it up on here and I'm sure all these knuckleheads will be offering you there services. I used to live in Hillsboro but just moved out of state otherwise I'd be happy to take you out. Good luck, do your research, and stay safe.
MNtransplant
hunter

Postby Utter chaos » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:04 pm

Not trying to discourage thats simply what i do look at google maps finda water an try to hunt it thats how ive found some of my honey holes
Utter chaos
hunter

Postby duckstoppa » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:15 pm

MNtransplant wrote:Why all the haters? You shouldn't discourage a young man trying to get into the sport. Look into Sauvie Island. It's not too far from Hiilsboro. Since you have a year to research head out there if you can during the day during the offseason and walk around to get the lay of the land. At SI you have to put in for a reservation. If you get selected you'll get a spot reserved for a blind, but its first come first serve for which blind so get out there early. At that point just don't sky bust...very annoying to people working ducks. If you get a reservation post it up on here and I'm sure all these knuckleheads will be offering you there services. I used to live in Hillsboro but just moved out of state otherwise I'd be happy to take you out. Good luck, do your research, and stay safe.

Isn't sauvie island outlined in regulations, and isn't it a hunters responsibility to know all the regulations. As outlined in hunters Ed class which is required to hunt.
WAR VALLEY WATERFOWLERS
duckstoppa
hunter

Postby JON » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:37 pm

Don't get me started on transplants...
JON
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting