New to the area

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

New to the area

Postby Ryan Hill » Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:56 pm

Hey guys, I just moved up to the area from NV a few months ago and thought I'd introduce myself. I'm looking forward to a big change in waterfowl hunting over the high desert stuff I've been used to. I moved to Sherwood but who knows where I'll be hunting mostly. :biggrin: I've been spending my time so far checking stuff out and fishing as much as possible. Planning on a two day fishing trip to the Deschutes and Metolius River this week actually! I'm also pretty big into wildlife/hunting photography so hopefully I can share a few of those with ya this year. :beer:
Ryan Hill
hunter

Re: New to the area

Postby alan0260 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:57 pm

:welcome: Well good luck fishing and post some pics, 19 days till eastern opener!
DU
NRA
OHA
CODE Greenhead
alan0260
hunter

Postby duckstoppa » Sun Sep 15, 2013 9:14 pm

We might need to do some trading I need some info on getting a swan in nevada
WAR VALLEY WATERFOWLERS
duckstoppa
hunter

Postby Ryan Hill » Mon Sep 16, 2013 2:46 am

I can definitely help you with that :thumbsup:
Ryan Hill
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:35 am

Hey Ryan hit me up when you come out over here to Prineville to do a hunt or 3 this season. good luck fishing this weekend talk to u soon
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby Ryan Hill » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:39 am

Thought I'd share this too. Maybe one of us will see this hybrid in October :thumbsup:
Attachments
Blue Hybrid.jpg
Ryan Hill
hunter

Postby duckstoppa » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:30 pm

Ryan Hill wrote:Thought I'd share this too. Maybe one of us will see this hybrid in October :thumbsup:

Probably a dusky
WAR VALLEY WATERFOWLERS
duckstoppa
hunter

Postby UmatillaJeff » Wed Sep 25, 2013 4:18 pm

We shot one that looked just like that bird about 10 years ago. the odd thing is that it also happened to be banded. The record showed that it was banded as an adult and yet no mention was made of the odd coloration. It was supposed to have been a Cackler but it was as big as a Tav. We had Ted wills In Corvallis mount it and he looks like that eagle on the dairy queen commercial! I will try and post a picture. You guys will get a kick out of it.
Count all the times you shoot a bird on the water. This will teach you about how effective the shells you think are so great are.
UmatillaJeff
hunter

Postby Shaner23 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 11:44 pm

Hey Ryan. I'm new to the forum and pretty new to the area as well. One season under my belt but still learning the area. Moved out here from northern Wisconsin. I live in the Murray Hill area of Beaverton. I just took a trip over to the Deschutes earlier this month, caught a few but we were there during that 90 plus hot streak so the fishing was pretty slow. But so were we. I would be interested to hear how you did. Be glad to share what I know about the duck hunting around here as well.
Shaner23
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting