River was loaded with duck now they are all gone?

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

River was loaded with duck now they are all gone?

Postby Utter chaos » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:58 am

About 6 weeks ago we floated the Rogue River and it was absolutely loaded with ducks an geese. Almost every tail out slough or back eddy had one or the other in it. So we floated it again last weekend to do some scouting for the opener beacuse we have had zero rain all the ponds are all dried up an not much water besides the rivers around here so we thought it would be our best bet but what we discoverd was that there were no duck seen 8 mergansers all day an only a handfull of geese. I figured all the geese are hitting up the fields since they have been cut but as for the couple hundred ducks we had seen last time i cant figure out where they went.
Utter chaos
hunter

Re: River was loaded with duck now they are all gone?

Postby Webfootslayer » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:18 pm

Ducks around here have already started to hit the fields might get out early or even in the eveing & follow them.I'm sure now the young are strong enough to fly distances now so since you found em on the river a couple weeks ago sounds logical they are still around but just changed feeding habits no that most grain & bean fields have been harvested. good luck
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby duckstoppa » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:29 pm

Happened to me last years they never really came back.
WAR VALLEY WATERFOWLERS
duckstoppa
hunter

Postby Utter chaos » Tue Sep 17, 2013 10:19 pm

Well glad we scouted it would of been a bust that just goes to show its worth doing your homework.
Utter chaos
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting