Hunting Laws in Oregon

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Hunting Laws in Oregon

Postby AnonymousDuck » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:42 pm

I'd like to get some thought's from hunters and not regulations about how you feel as duck hunters, about the state laws that pertain to waterfowl hunting. You're after all the folks hunting and will be the ones talking about what you like and dislike about your state laws. Are you worried that more area's will be closed to hunting in the future or that anti-hunting groups are a big concern that will impact future hunting/gun laws? Really anything in this venue is open. Thanks.
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Re: Hunting Laws in Oregon

Postby whistlingwings » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:36 pm

Having grown up hunting in Arkansas, and this being my first season here in Oregon, the only thing I can't stand is the amount of reading required to understand all of the laws. This seems to be a trend in most states. I'd much rather have somewhat more "strict" rules and regs than have to read through literally 100 pages of regs to make sure I'm not hunting the wrong area during the wrong moon phase for a goose that has a slightly shorter bill than other geese.
Nobody cares about your season totals. Especially if you pay to hunt private.
whistlingwings
hunter

Postby whistlingwings » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:02 pm

One law that I really like (and missed until the day before opener) is no battery powered decoys. If you can't be successful without three battery powered decoys flapping away all day, you need to learn some things.
Nobody cares about your season totals. Especially if you pay to hunt private.
whistlingwings
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:43 pm

Moved to Washington state a couple of years ago from the south west and I understand the amount of rules dilemma compared to what I was use to. The wife and I are trying to decide between Idaho and Oregon. She has friends and some family in Oregon. There is the no battery decoys here too and I already sent mine to a buddy. Thanks for the info and I'll keep my eye open for additional posts. I do like the veterans benefits in Oregon though.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby jcmontgo » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:12 pm

Having hunted as a resident in three states(Montana, Idaho, Oregon) I can tell you that Oregon has the most convoluted and hard to decipher hunting laws around. Hunting the Westside, unless you have done it for a while, is quite a chore. The regs are ridiculous and should be simplified. The idea that someone is going to knowingly check in a dusky goose and lose their permit is a horrible way to manage for a species. Many hunters will simply leave that bird in the vehicle or not hit check stations at all that is one reason they went to two hen mallards. The whole dusky program needs a re-vamp. One thing that Montana does right is the stream access laws. You can get in any river or stream from any county road bridge and bird hunt below the high water mark, even if the surrounding area is private! I also like that Oregon's laws are pretty strict on the spinners but man if they just had a readers digest version of the regulations, that would be awesome. Oregon's split season to allow later hunting is great as well. The bird hunting tags in Oregon for out of staters are pretty reasonable. the three day tags are a good idea. Montana is pretty expensive for out of state hunters which is too bad.
Season bird totals are for those who cannot see the forest for the trees. Count your good days, not your ducks.
"I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often"-Teddy Roosevelt
jcmontgo
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Tue Oct 15, 2013 8:46 pm

Sounds just like Washington state. West and East side of the state have different rules. The regs read are terrable to get through and I end up with more questions than I had when I started. Seem to me that Washington is trying to contain hunters to smaller areas due to the anti-hunting groups, at lest that's my observation.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:35 pm

1) The laws regarding duck hunting are simple and seem fair enough. I'd like to see some things change of course, but all of them are federal laws (use of 8 ga and duck plugs (you can only shoot 7 ducks a day--who cares if you do it all in one pass or not?), and a "smarting" up of the lead ban (I have to use non-tox to shoot geese in the same field I filled with lead shooting clays, etc.)). Regarding geese: This NW Permit Zone is the dumbest load of crap.
But whether I like them or not, they are the laws. And I sure hate a ticket way more than I hate those rules...
2) The regs --the ODFW's Game Bird Regulations pamphlet--is in serious need of an editor. Once you know what to look for, it's easy enough to understand, but I think it could be laid out in a clearer, simpler manner.

These are not the first things I would say if asked how I felt about hunting in OR. Overall, I think it's fairly easy, and all the ODFW folks I've had any dealings with have been awesome.
It's only sky busting if you miss...
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby JON » Wed Oct 16, 2013 3:37 pm

My biggest concerns have to do with out-of-staters thinking they should have any kind of a say in a state they are not a resident in.
JON
hunter

Postby duckstoppa » Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:43 pm

Don't check em chuck em
WAR VALLEY WATERFOWLERS
duckstoppa
hunter

Postby jcmontgo » Wed Oct 16, 2013 10:44 pm

That discussion started out well......but thanks for tanking it JON. No need to be a jerk to someone you don't know....tough guy I guess. Anyway.....
Jim-
On the subject of the non-toxic shot I can tell you this, I dont think its gonna be long until there is no more lead in the NW for pretty much everything. Even when it comes to sporting clays, plinking, and big game hunting. The trend is that its all gonna go non-tox. I read a report about some places on the east coast and the south are still coming up with a lot of lead content in their birds and lead mortality in waterfowl and their predators from major market hunting areas and long used duck hunting areas that still have tons and tons of lead on the bottom that the waterfowl are picking up. There is obviously a lot more to it than just outlawing lead outright but honestly I think it will be ten years and Oregon will push hard for lead free all around.
Personally I'm really on the fence with plugs. I think since we hunt in areas that have duck restrictions (i.e. hen mallards, scaup, cans) plugs are pretty important so when a large group comes in people are a little pickier with their shots. For geese obviously that wouldn't matter so for early season or the late goose seasons I suppose plugs don't make sense. But then again, I cant imagine a place like Summer Lake with 40 hunters lined up on the dikes sky busting with 5-7 shots in their gun! It would sound like more of a war zone than it already is!
I'm right with ya on the length and depth of the hunting regulations. Like you said earlier, once you get 'em you get 'em but for folks just getting starting to hunt the NW zone they are intimidating. They are super wordy exactly like you said....they need an editor! There aren't to many places you can hunt geese as late as you can in Oregon, which I always really liked. Those spring hunts can be awesome.
Season bird totals are for those who cannot see the forest for the trees. Count your good days, not your ducks.
"I'm not a good shot, but I shoot often"-Teddy Roosevelt
jcmontgo
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:44 pm

So far as of today Oregon is getting serious consideration due to family, and veteran friendliness. My one big concerns are hunting areas, here in Washington they seem to be trying to condense public hunting area's which means less areas to hunt and more people in the public areas, unless of course you have private property access or can afford expensive clubs. The "greenies" here are pushing really hard to make it as tough as they can on hunters. My son and I hunted Ft. Louis this past Sat and when we called in at the time, 15 people had called in to hunt the area we chose and how many after I have no idea, very pressured. The good thing is after a few weeks and it starts to get colder, only the diehards like us will go out lol.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:53 pm

:bump:

Just wondering if anyone can answer my last question. Anyone believe duck hunters being pushed out of public hunting area's and t becoming off limits to hunters? I'm just trying to get a feel for the state, especially since odds are looking good at moving there. Also anyone familiar with "Chiliquin, OR"? Really appreciate the feed back, thanks. :smile:

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:05 pm

You have Klamath & summer lake close to Chiloquin along with some other lakes. If end up moving down this direction hit me up pm & i'll be more than happy to take anyone who protects my freedom on a hunt.
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 7:24 pm

Webfootslayer wrote:You have Klamath & summer lake close to Chiloquin along with some other lakes. If end up moving down this direction hit me up pm & i'll be more than happy to take anyone who protects my freedom on a hunt.

Thank you very much sir. I know Ill be down that way in January abouts to look at the place were looking at and breed my pup to my wife's friends dog. Going to donate most the puppies to combat veteran waterfowlers. Excited about coming down though.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting