new to area

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

new to area

Postby wiscoduck » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:18 am

Hey guys. I have just recently moved to Medford, OR from Wisconsin. I am a big waterfowler but haven't really gotten my feet wet out here. I am not looking for secret spots or anything but some direction and advice. Maybe even finding a hunting partner would be great. I have spent a lot of my time hunting the Mississippi and have some great experience when it comes to duck hunting. Any help would be great.
wiscoduck
Newb

Re: new to area

Postby JON » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:30 am

Big time waterfowlers from the central flyway don't always go scouting, but when they do, it is on the Internet.
JON
hunter

Postby whistlingwings » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:16 pm

JON wrote:Big time waterfowlers from the central flyway don't always go scouting, but when they do, it is on the Internet.

This guy JON is one of the few a#@*#&)s in Oregon, or he's just a 12 year old kid that enjoys trolling hunting forums. Check out http://oregonhuntingmap.com/ for a good start scouting.
Nobody cares about your season totals. Especially if you pay to hunt private.
whistlingwings
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:42 pm

whistlingwings wrote:
JON wrote:Big time waterfowlers from the central flyway don't always go scouting, but when they do, it is on the Internet.

This guy JON is one of the few a#@*#&)s in Oregon, or he's just a 12 year old kid that enjoys trolling hunting forums. Check out http://oregonhuntingmap.com/ for a good start scouting.

AGREED
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby JON » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:29 pm

The amusing part is that you think I'm trolling. I am actually quite serious. Internet scouters are almost as pathetic as the folks who give them information.
JON
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:30 pm

wiscoduck wrote:Hey guys. I have just recently moved to Medford, OR from Wisconsin. I am a big waterfowler but haven't really gotten my feet wet out here. I am not looking for secret spots or anything but some direction and advice. Maybe even finding a hunting partner would be great. I have spent a lot of my time hunting the Mississippi and have some great experience when it comes to duck hunting. Any help would be great.
Dig into the Oregon bird regulations. Find summer lake. I'll be there this Tuesday through Saturday 22nd - 26th. Camped at river camp on the WA. Free camping. Terrible weather but a few birds are around in the sunshine. Gold 07 dodge 2500 with cap. TT with yellow stripe. Snow geese are the main target. Not everyone here is a poor Droll
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby whistlingwings » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:31 am

JON wrote:The amusing part is that you think I'm trolling. I am actually quite serious. Internet scouters are almost as pathetic as the folks who give them information.

OP: "I am not looking for secret spots or anything but some direction and advice. Maybe even finding a hunting partner would be great."

JON, looks like you've got a reading comprehension problem; the OP is looking for advice after moving to a new state and maybe even a hunting partner, not information about hunting spots. If you're going to treat people like a$#@%)s why dontcha move to California and troll that forum, you'll fit in well with them; here in Oregon we're friendly to new folks.

The Klamath basin is a big stopping point for birds in the migration; I'm sure there are plenty of residents around, but once the migration starts things can get hot. :welcome: to Oregon
whistlingwings
hunter

Postby JON » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:04 am

I have watched internet scouters in action for years now partner. The hunting partner ruse is just a way to sucker you into helping them out. If you are so high and mighty, which I can already tell you are, quit bitchin and take the man hunting. You will learn your lesson soon enough. No skin off my back.
JON
hunter

Postby labsforme » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:11 am

Jon, all I can say is SO WHAT! We all have to start off some where. Are you SOOOOO GOOOD :bow: :bow: that you NEVER ask Rob or Jimmy where the birds are when you hunt the wildlife area? or your buddies that you hunt with? I agree not giving specific spots. But good grief cut people some slack.

Jeff
labsforme
hunter

Postby JON » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:01 pm

You can name drop on the internet all you want. Makes you look like an idiot when you are wrong though. Like in this instance... I don't call them. I must not be as plugged in as you.

It's not about being good... it's about hunting... not killing. I would love for people to figure this out... it would make the whole experience much better for them.

We all started somewhere.... but it was before the internet. We earned it.
JON
hunter

Postby labsforme » Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:59 pm

Jon, Paid my dues.Not name dropping. I call them when I want to say hi.Don't hunt the wildlife area any more.Have a good season.

Jeff
labsforme
hunter

Postby JON » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:03 pm

labsforme wrote:Jon, Paid my dues.Not name dropping. I call them when I want to say hi.Don't hunt the wildlife area any more.Have a good season.

We are more alike than we are different than. :wink:

Likewise to you. Enjoy the season. :beer:
JON
hunter

Postby wiscoduck » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:17 pm

Thanks to those who have given some pointers it is much appreciated. Just a FYI the whole hunting partner thing wasn't a ruse I seriously would like to hunt with people because as any waterfowler knows half the fun in the field is the jokes and sharing the experience. Not to mention combining of equipment and splitting up the work helps. Thanks again.
wiscoduck
Newb

Postby whistlingwings » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:52 pm

wiscoduck wrote:Thanks to those who have given some pointers it is much appreciated. Just a FYI the whole hunting partner thing wasn't a ruse I seriously would like to hunt with people because as any waterfowler knows half the fun in the field is the jokes and sharing the experience. Not to mention combining of equipment and splitting up the work helps. Thanks again.

No kidding and no worries. This is a good place to find people to hunt with, I'm sure there are more around Medford that just don't get online every week (I take months off of duckhuntingchat at a time). Apparently only our most immature member and one moderator seem to think looking for people to hunt with is "internet scouting" --- ignore them, they don't have anything better to do. Hopefully they'll go away eventually and we'll all be able to ask around for advice and people to hunt with without having to deal with their immature backlash.
whistlingwings
hunter

Postby downhilltilt24 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:52 am

If you ever find yourself up in the portland oregon area pm me and will hit up sauvie island if you're interested. best of luck this season.
downhilltilt24
hunter

Postby Utter chaos » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:08 pm

Since u live in medford go check out denman wildlife area. Or along the river is going to be your best bet until u get private land. We have lots of private land but still go to denman couple times a month just to give our honey holes a break
Season totals
1 Widgeon
15 honkers
days hunted 4
Utter chaos
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting