Rye grass field

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Rye grass field

Postby whtelk » Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:46 pm

I have a rye grass field that has a lot of birds that use the sheet water (when the rain and birds get here), no cover, don't own a layout blind.... do you think a small 4 x 4 brushed up temporary blind would work? thinking some woven wire, camo burlap and brush. it won't look like rye grass but my silhouette would be hid.
whtelk
hunter

Re: Rye grass field

Postby JON » Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:06 pm

Buy a cheap layout... you wont regret it.

Or have a friend with two blinds come along and bring his gear.

Your will kill birds the other way but you will decoy birds much better with layouts.
JON
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:39 pm

If possible build you blind along a fenceline if its close to where you have slack water and be golden. If not you can build a blind out of some old fenceposts & fencing then just get some tumbleweeds u can pile around he blind. Dont forget to paint the fencing or posts as well this will help tremendously.Good luck
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby JON » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:32 pm

That's a great idea.... I always see tumbleweeds hanging around the edges of rue grass fields. :huh:
JON
hunter

Postby whtelk » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:21 am

Think I will buy a gillie blanket and see if that works .Maybe I can use some scotch broom, it doesn't seem to fade much after it is cut. Then place geese decoys around me in such a way the birds won't detect me. Wish the sheet water was close to a fence line but no such luck.
whtelk
hunter

Postby JON » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:01 am

whtelk wrote:Then place geese decoys around me in such a way the birds won't detect me. Wish the sheet water was close to a fence line but no such luck.

By placing goose decoys around you, you are begging the birds to look directly at you.
JON
hunter

Postby whistlingwings » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:36 pm

When the birds are overhead, all that really matters is the color of you and your blind match the color of the field (well, watch out for shine and movement). I've hunted mud flats wearing all brown, worked perfectly. When they swing around the corner and get closer to eye level that's when height comes in. Lower profile = better obviously, so get as low to the ground as you can and match the colors of the field. Mudded layouts generally work well for these exact reasons - low profile, matching colors, and conceal your movement. Invisible.
Nobody cares about your season totals. Especially if you pay to hunt private.
whistlingwings
hunter

Postby Tealer » Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:05 pm

whtelk wrote:I have a rye grass field that has a lot of birds that use the sheet water (when the rain and birds get here), no cover, don't own a layout blind.... do you think a small 4 x 4 brushed up temporary blind would work? thinking some woven wire, camo burlap and brush. it won't look like rye grass but my silhouette would be hid.

What part of the state ate you in?
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Privileged hunter » Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:58 pm

Im in California and am going to try flooding 85 acers of suddan grass . Never done it before so well see what happens . Going to hunt out of small stilt blind out in the middle with about 400 decoys
Privileged hunter
hunter

Postby duckstoppa » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:51 pm

Buy layout blind
WAR VALLEY WATERFOWLERS
duckstoppa
hunter

Postby whtelk » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:57 am

Tealer wrote:
whtelk wrote:I have a rye grass field that has a lot of birds that use the sheet water (when the rain and birds get here), no cover, don't own a layout blind.... do you think a small 4 x 4 brushed up temporary blind would work? thinking some woven wire, camo burlap and brush. it won't look like rye grass but my silhouette would be hid.

What part of the state ate you in?

Mid valley
whtelk
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:16 am

JON wrote:That's a great idea.... I always see tumbleweeds hanging around the edges of rue grass fields. :huh:

I've never seen a rue field personally.One thing I have noticed though is that all fields have some sort of cover growing along the ditches and fencelines. :umm:
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby JON » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:59 am

All is a big word. I have hunted many rye grass fields without either.
JON
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 12:05 pm

Well congrats to you Jon proving you could probably help the OP out but choose not to.why bother right you wont benefit from helping someone out with trying to be successful in the outdoors and maybe someday passing on what they have learned to someone else.
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby JON » Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:42 pm

I gave some excellent advice. Plus I actually know what a rye grass field is. Buy a layout. End of story.
JON
hunter

Postby whtelk » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:08 pm

Hey Jon... what ya think; cornfield or mossy oak... LOL... just ribbin you.
whtelk
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:25 pm

JON wrote:I gave some excellent advice. Plus I actually know what a rye grass field is. Buy a layout. End of story.

As do i but i still have never seen a rue grass field.lol
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby JON » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:58 pm

Whtelk... Very good point u bring up about the limited choices of camo patterns. Get the cheapest... Mud it up, and try to match the vegetation in the field. The low profile of a layout blind is deadly on ducks... Even into the late season.
JON
hunter

Postby whtelk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 7:14 am

One year I actually took a clump of rye grass into a fabric store and asked the clerk if she could match the color. To my surprise she asked if I was a duck hunter like her husband.
I think I am going to make a ghillie blanket.
whtelk
hunter

Postby tealdog » Thu Oct 24, 2013 5:45 pm

Webfootslayer wrote:Well congrats to you Jon proving you could probably help the OP out but choose not to.why bother right you wont benefit from helping someone out with trying to be successful in the outdoors and maybe someday passing on what they have learned to someone else.

His first response was by far the best advice on this thread. Did you miss that one?
tealdog
hunter

Postby whtelk » Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:56 pm

Yup, Jon is spot on. I did have a layout but I enjoy hunting with my Lab "Gretta" and she never could get used to a hut....I blame my self because she was not taught that young enough. If I could find a layout that I could pack a fair distance (includes getting over hot fences) and my dog would fit in it also I might go back to one. Ghillie blanket could work though.
whtelk
hunter

Postby JON » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:18 am

Might try the dog behind the backrest in the layout. Gotta train them to hold until the smoke clears but they love being close.
JON
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:58 pm

The layout blind seems like a great idea. I did see at Cabala's a chair blind which was pretty cool. It has an overhead cover and room for a dog if you don't want to drag a pup hut, It folds up nicely, seems light and if you have a wheeled cart it would make it easy I think to take it to the field.
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting