Willamette Valley Blue Algae

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Willamette Valley Blue Algae

Postby Timster Union » Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:55 pm

Does anyone have info on the Blue Algea that has killed some dogs this summer? Especially at Fern Ridge Res? I have a new lab pup and my vet says not to take her duck hunting in the Fern Ridge wma.
Timster Union
Newb

Re: Willamette Valley Blue Algae

Postby AnonymousDuck » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:56 pm

My wife is a Horticulturist (BS Degree), she says keep dogs away from it, death sentence.
Nothing Runs Like a Lab...
SD/SHR, DixieBrit's Waterdog "Dream" Come True.
Member: Combat Veterans Waterfowl Association.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby whistlingwings » Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:47 am

I've drug myself to fern ridge a few times this season (faaaaaar away from the blast-fest on the east side) and there is definitely algae floating around in the lake. I wouldn't risk it.
Nobody cares about your season totals. Especially if you pay to hunt private.
whistlingwings
hunter

Postby Timster Union » Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:58 am

I would have to guess that it would be at the east and west coyote WMD too?
Timster Union
Newb

Postby whistlingwings » Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:18 am

Good question, I'm not sure. I hunted east/west last month pheasant quite a bit, didn't notice any algae, but your safest bet would be to go into the office (I can't ever catch them on the phone for some reason) and ask. I assume the water they flood the fields with comes from coyote creek -- coyote creek pours into the lake, right? it doesn't drain the lake -- if that's true, east/west might be clear, with clean water coming from "upstream" of the lake.
whistlingwings
hunter

Postby Timster Union » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:18 pm

whistlingwings wrote:Good question, I'm not sure. I hunted east/west last month pheasant quite a bit, didn't notice any algae, but your safest bet would be to go into the office (I can't ever catch them on the phone for some reason) and ask. I assume the water they flood the fields with comes from coyote creek -- coyote creek pours into the lake, right? it doesn't drain the lake -- if that's true, east/west might be clear, with clean water coming from "upstream" of the lake.

thanks..thats what I intend to do is visit the headquarters there and talk to the biologist. thanks for the info
Timster Union
Newb

Postby AnonymousDuck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 1:46 pm

Timster Union wrote:
whistlingwings wrote:Good question, I'm not sure. I hunted east/west last month pheasant quite a bit, didn't notice any algae, but your safest bet would be to go into the office (I can't ever catch them on the phone for some reason) and ask. I assume the water they flood the fields with comes from coyote creek -- coyote creek pours into the lake, right? it doesn't drain the lake -- if that's true, east/west might be clear, with clean water coming from "upstream" of the lake.

thanks..thats what I intend to do is visit the headquarters there and talk to the biologist. thanks for the info[/quote]

Horticulturist's are smart folks when it comes to these things (since they specialize in flora and fauna), but you'll be told the same thing from a biologist. I can understand though, hearing from a "person" verses someone on a forum would make me feel better too. I won't let my dog in the water if I see Blue Algae, best of luck. :thumbsup:

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Postby whistlingwings » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:41 pm

Not disputing that the algae will kill animals. We're saying that there might not be any algae in this area because it may flood with water from a creek, not water from the lake.
whistlingwings
hunter

Postby AnonymousDuck » Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:48 pm

whistlingwings wrote:Not disputing that the algae will kill animals. We're saying that there might not be any algae in this area because it may flood with water from a creek, not water from the lake.

Ah ok I understand now. I misread things sometimes lol.

XIXΔ

All I got was a rock...!
AnonymousDuck
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting