Sauvies Island - Rentenaar

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

Sauvies Island - Rentenaar

Postby NickT » Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:29 pm

Hey guys,

I was lucky enough to draw rentenaar on the 16th of November. Could one of yall give me a general description of what the habitat is like out there? Such as water depth, vegetation type/height. I need to know if I should bring my marsh rat or a layout blind if I need either at all. I've never hunted Sauvies and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
NickT
hunter

Re: Sauvies Island - Rentenaar

Postby Yogi » Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:34 pm

Basically two strips of water with corn for cover. Way in the back is Lost Prarie lake which gets water early. The front of the unit next to the main road get water early too. I would hunt Lost Prarie lake or the front of the unit. To access Lost Prarie, go to the Stutzer parking lot and walk across the paved road then down the dirt road to the end before the dike. Make a right along the dike and you will see the lake. Ask the checkstation folks for a map and directions. For the front part, go all the way down the dirt road after going left out of the checkstation. take it to the end and park at the big lot with the wood corrals. Go around the corrals and head to the east (directions you drove down from. you will hit a fence. follow that and you will see openings along the way. go down a couple and cut in. There should be corn there and work your way down to the flooded area. You can use a ground blind or sit in the corn on a stool. Again, ask the check station folks, they will help you and draw up the access on the map for you . good luck
Yogi
hunter

Postby JON » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:01 am

I have killed plenty of ducks out of that place with 6 decoys and a jerk cord. Stay light and mobile.
JON
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:20 pm

NickT wrote:Hey guys,

I was lucky enough to draw rentenaar on the 16th of November. Could one of yall give me a general description of what the habitat is like out there? Such as water depth, vegetation type/height. I need to know if I should bring my marsh rat or a layout blind if I need either at all. I've never hunted Sauvies and any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Head down to the island on a hunt day and see if you can check in to area in the day light. Watch for other hunters, and get a lay of the land.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby NickT » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:49 pm

Thanks guys. All of your comments were very helpful. I'll probably head out a day before my hunt and get a feel for everything/see where the birds and other hunters are. Looking forward to getting out on the island for the first time. Thanks again.
NickT
hunter

Postby downhilltilt24 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:45 pm

I hunted it yesterday morning and got 6. everyone killed it. a ton of pintails and a ton of geese which really helped the ducks decoy in. it's awesome and fun. pm me for more details if you'd like.
downhilltilt24
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting