3 questions (1) Sycan Marsh (2) Silver Lake (3) outboard ??

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

3 questions (1) Sycan Marsh (2) Silver Lake (3) outboard ??

Postby Shoot up a limit » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:45 pm

(1) Sycan Marsh is just over the hilltop a few miles from Silver Lake. Is it public land that can be duck hunted?

(2) What about Silver Lake? I have heard Silver Lake is great for geese and I would imagine there is public access, but I don't have a motor yet for my 4 Rivers EBADS layout boat.

(3)Will a cheap 8 hp or so outboard be good enough for getting around in to duck hunt the still waters of Oregon ( I AM NEW TO OREGON), or do I need a surface drive? The EBADS is rated for 13 hp, and is 13 feet 6 inches long , 50 inches wide at it the widest point of the tapered hull, and weighs in at 170 pounds. It's fiberglass construction.

Thanks for the help! Jeff :hi:
Shoot up a limit
Newb

Re: 3 questions (1) Sycan Marsh (2) Silver Lake (3) outboard

Postby JON » Sat Oct 26, 2013 11:59 pm

Welcome to Oregon. Did you come from a place where Internet scouting was acceptable?
JON
hunter

Postby Shoot up a limit » Sun Oct 27, 2013 12:02 am

But of course I did!!! Use any and all means possible to find those ducks!!! Especially when the weather blew the ducks out of Sauvie Island at the end of September and no more have arrived since!! 3 days a huntin' and 1 ringneck to show for it maketh a good man desperate!
Shoot up a limit
Newb

Postby JON » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:55 am

I hunted Sauvie one day last week and shot 7 mallards. There were plenty of birds as far as I could see.

Ever think it could be your approach?
JON
hunter

Postby whistlingwings » Sun Oct 27, 2013 4:50 pm

JON wrote:Welcome to Oregon. Did you come from a place where Internet scouting was acceptable?

Leave. Go somewhere else. You make this forum suck. Asking about general areas is not "internet scouting." Internet scouting is asking "where on silver lake is a good blind?" Even if guys want to ask that, let them, stop being an a##. Some folks might have no problem giving away their hunting spots; if they want to, so be it. You don't, we get that. You don't have to be an a## to every new person that visits this forum to prove that point time and again.

Shoot up a limit -- what do you mean by "still waters"? Lakes?
Nobody cares about your season totals. Especially if you pay to hunt private.
whistlingwings
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:15 pm

Shoot up a limit wrote:(1) Sycan Marsh is just over the hilltop a few miles from Silver Lake. Is it public land that can be duck hunted?

(2) What about Silver Lake? I have heard Silver Lake is great for geese and I would imagine there is public access, but I don't have a motor yet for my 4 Rivers EBADS layout boat.

(3)Will a cheap 8 hp or so outboard be good enough for getting around in to duck hunt the still waters of Oregon ( I AM NEW TO OREGON), or do I need a surface drive? The EBADS is rated for 13 hp, and is 13 feet 6 inches long , 50 inches wide at it the widest point of the tapered hull, and weighs in at 170 pounds. It's fiberglass construction.

Thanks for the help! Jeff :hi:

Sycan marsh is all private ranch land, Silver lake is dry and private ranch land. You can hunt Thompson reservoir. Before freeze up I have seen some honkers. They feed on the ag land around silver lake then hit the reservoir. Or they don't. Few divers and some local ducks. Easy to educate them.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting