Duck hunting in la pine oregon

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Duck hunting in la pine oregon

Postby Garner208 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:08 pm

I am relatively new to duck hunting and I have a cabin in la pine. I would like to go hunting somewhere near la pine but don't know of any spots or even where to go. If anyone knows of a place in or around la pine let me know.
Garner208
Newb

Re: Duck hunting in la pine oregon

Postby whtelk » Thu Nov 07, 2013 8:50 am

sent you a PM
whtelk
hunter

Postby gunner1973 » Tue Nov 12, 2013 4:11 pm

poke around on crane prairie, ive personally never hunted but ive known guys that have done pretty well on puddlers and divers , also the twin lakes as well im sure you could find some on wickiup as well just have to go out there and watch to see where they want to be
gunner1973
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:16 am

Stay above the high water mark on wikiup with your truck. The $25,000.00 fine is pretty stiff for driving below it. Look at the map posted at dam access off burgess. Unless the locals have destroyed it :no: A boat is truly the best way to hunt Wikiup. Decoys with long lines and some Canada floaters. Diver rigs are also very helpful. Do not expect a fast hunt but before freeze up it can be very good some days. High risk hunting with potential of high winds and big waves coming up fast. Life Jackets and cold water survival skill in boat handling required. Limited bank hunting unless you like very long walks. Couple areas are not bad, but get pressure. Used to be good hunting on the river, But it died several years ago. When the no shooting zones went in below the state park, birds get no pressure to move them up river. Crane prairie is another boat lake, limited blind options since most of the dead snags are history. When the Eagles move in to the lakes, Some days can be good if you set up all day and wait for the eagles to get the birds moving. Hit or miss on success. Decoys and good blind can really improve your hunt. Lots of decoys, spread out of a huge area is best if bank hunting Wikiup.
OHA life member Lapine oregon
baltz526
hunter

Postby gunner1973 » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:31 pm

good advice , also i would like to add that need to be very careful as to where you are walking in the water in wickiup , it changes very rapidly in some places due to the channels and ditches that are in that lake ( personal experience on this ,bad deal in nov.)
gunner1973
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Sun Nov 17, 2013 6:05 pm

Scouted Wickiup today. Lot of Buffle head, A few Golden eye and merganser. A few good ducks around but they where rafted up. If A guy had a boat and some good Canada Decoys. He could probably scratch out a limit if willing to set up and stay all day. A few Eagles around, mostly young ones. Which are not as aggressive and do not get the ducks moving as well. A few guys where out and I did hear some shooting. I killed 1 Buffle head so the dog could get a smell. I'm thinking about taking the boat out this week Tuesday/Wednesday is most likely. PS: Lots of geese :eek:
baltz526
hunter

Postby gunner1973 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:31 am

how did you do out there?
gunner1973
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:38 pm

Before Ice up I did well out of the boat. My best shooting day I killed 3 Canada, 4 mallards, 1 widgeon. One slow day when I was shooting well I shot 3 shells for 1 Canada and 1 drake pintail. Another day when I should have killed 4 Canada and several ducks I brought home 1 Canada and some ducks, Can't remember how many. I'll try to update my boat blind but over all it was a good year. Freezer got fed enough waterfowl to get me through until next season. I could have hit it a few more days before Ice up, But was done plucking geese for the year.
baltz526
hunter

Postby gunner1973 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:08 pm

baltz526 wrote:Before Ice up I did well out of the boat. My best shooting day I killed 3 Canada, 4 mallards, 1 widgeon. One slow day when I was shooting well I shot 3 shells for 1 Canada and 1 drake pintail. Another day when I should have killed 4 Canada and several ducks I brought home 1 Canada and some ducks, Can't remember how many. I'll try to update my boat blind but over all it was a good year. Freezer got fed enough waterfowl to get me through until next season. I could have hit it a few more days before Ice up, But was done plucking geese for the year.

sounds like you did pretty well out there , i used to live off burgess so i was close , used to fish it alot , that lake has some really nice fish ,if your willing to target the big ones
gunner1973
hunter

Postby baltz526 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:49 pm

Back in the 90's ODFW did some fish shock surveys on Wickiup. 50lb browns where collected and measured, released.
baltz526
hunter

Postby gunner1973 » Thu Dec 19, 2013 4:25 pm

baltz526 wrote:Back in the 90's ODFW did some fish shock surveys on Wickiup. 50lb browns where collected and measured, released.

yep i beleive it , i hooked a few fish in there that i couldnt even slow down with 60 pnd braided line ,never got to see them but ive caught some really big fish in my life ,and these left me sitting in my boat goin "holy fu&(*%%!!!"
gunner1973
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting