Best Pair of waders?

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Best Pair of waders?

Postby Webfootslayer » Mon Nov 11, 2013 11:24 pm

What is your opinion on the best pair of waders for where I hunt it can get below 0 for a couple weeks during the season? im looking to replace my brushbuster from cabelas that are 1200 millligrams and have leaked a little round the knees since day 1. Cabelas no longer warranty their waders for life since mine they discontinued 2 years ago so screw them. Never another purchase from them. I want a tough wader because of snags so am apprehensive when it comes to neoprenes but if theres a product out there thats tough as nails and neoprene then maybe ive found the match i need.Thanks for input hope this dont turn to a pissing match
Webfootslayer
hunter

Re: Best Pair of waders?

Postby duckstoppa » Tue Nov 12, 2013 9:38 pm

Cabelas 1600 supermag
WAR VALLEY WATERFOWLERS
duckstoppa
hunter

Postby sprigkillerII » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:20 am

I have had 4 pairs a Cabelas super mag over the course of the last 6 seasons, they honored their warranty up until last year,
if you walk a lot they may not be for you because the boots seem to wear out with a lot use ( I hunt about 50 to 60 days a season).. I had to purchase a warranty this time around...
sprigkillerII
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:58 am

Thanks for the input people but i will no longer be purchasing any waders from cabelas.Why on earth would i get an extended warranty oh yeah they are made in china now. looks like i'll be getting two pair of waders a heavy insulated pair for dec-jan and a light pair for mid season. Macks or Rogers seem to be my best bet and have always had good customer relations w them.
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby sprigkillerII » Wed Nov 13, 2013 7:48 pm

Try checking out USIA, I believe they are in the Portland area.. they make dry suites for the military and are now making cutom waders...you pick the boot you want and they bond it to their pants...worth a look.
sprigkillerII
hunter

Postby Tealer » Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:24 pm

USIA just finished a pair for me.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby QH's Paw » Thu Nov 14, 2013 2:42 am

I bought a pair last season. They are tough, USIA waders that is. They make them in St. Helens Oregon.
I've heard they are offering several different options now too.
Here are mine.
They fit them real loose so you can layer clothes underneath for cold weather. I don't know all the boot options but, they are open to putting whatever boots you want on them and when/if your boots fail, you can have them replaced. Try finding another wader manufacturer that does that. You can't.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby 60's hunter » Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:28 am

Also, a lot of guys in my area wear the Caddis Waterfowler-----easy on the wallet & are lasting me so far.
60's hunter
hunter

Postby Echospartan » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:40 pm

I like the Cabelas 3mm neostretch they've been working good for me so far.
Echospartan
hunter

Postby steelheadslayer » Mon Dec 02, 2013 12:20 pm

60's hunter wrote:Also, a lot of guys in my area wear the Caddis Waterfowler-----easy on the wallet & are lasting me so far.

So far so good with mine too.
"Opinions are like elbows, everyone seems to have a couple of em."-Phil Roberston
steelheadslayer
hunter

Postby Pepper1 » Mon Dec 02, 2013 5:49 pm

this is good info to know for me. I will be buying a pair of neoprene waders in the next year for next season. I have worn my old fishing waders for the last 5 years ( old style Simms Guide model breathables ). I wear UA and pile underneath and stay reasonably warm, but want a pair of insulated bootfoots for my feet. I will say those Simms have lasted darn well, over 9 years and not a drop of leakage. The 1st 5 years of that they got very heavy use too.

Cabelas sound pretty good for the money, although I hear internet stories that they have balked at some of their warranties recently. I have personally never had a customer service problem with them though.

Probably either Macks or Cabelas but the USIA look interesting too, specially the custom boot part
Pepper1
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting