Umatilla

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Umatilla

Postby sprigkillerII » Tue Nov 12, 2013 7:17 am

I have drew a couple hunts in Umatilla this season, a 4th pick and 7th pick one in Dec and Jan.

I live in the southern Willamette valley and have plenty of good hunting around here, a limit of birds is not that big of deal. what I'm looking for is different experience hunting different type of country...thought it would be a cool road trip. Anybody ever hunt over there? Anything to look for? I read the blind results regularly...and have read the special regs for there.

One question, are the river blinds in heavy current? Is it safe for the dog?
sprigkillerII
hunter

Re: Umatilla

Postby JimboPDX » Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:38 pm

If you have control of your dog they are very safe. Just be able to call you dog off a bird if it sails into the main channel. Other than that you are good to go.
Fins, feathers, or fur....it's going down!
JimboPDX
hunter

Postby 60's hunter » Thu Nov 14, 2013 12:11 pm

I've hunted on the main river before up there--------by that time of year that you are going, the small waters can be all froze up & the big waters & fields can produce. Good luck.
60's hunter
hunter

Postby Bighib » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:12 pm

I've made the trip up to hunt the Umatilla once last year and from the little experience I have up there if you can time your hunt with a cold front moving through there are tons of birds. With the picks you have drawn there's a great chance you wont have to hunt the river there are a few ponds that should be available. I have some friends that are local to the area up there and they constantly have great hunts, but as far as anything different than the hunting here in the valley I don't know if it's so much different than hunting around here on a good day. If you have a dog you definitely want to have good control of it if you hunt a river blind. I was disappointed that all the river blinds that I saw didn't really have a established blind set up. You still have to find decent cover which wasn't the easiest in the blind we drew last year. Good luck and hope this helps a little.
Bighib
Newb

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting