Fern Ridge stats

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Fern Ridge stats

Postby Pepper1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:07 pm

whats up with them !!? !! no stats yet from Saturday or yesterdays hunts
Pepper1
hunter

Re: Fern Ridge stats

Postby gunner1973 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:21 pm

ya they are getting lazy , still havnt posted the results
gunner1973
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:25 pm

This really is nothing new, folks. It usually takes until Wednesday to get stats updated from the previous hunts.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby Pepper1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 3:58 pm

well,, that sucks, did you hunt Saturday Jonesy?
Pepper1
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:11 pm

No. I haven't been out since the 18th.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby Pepper1 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:16 pm

me either, hard to swallow the gas expense to drive down there if not many birds, thats why I want the stats
Pepper1
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:45 pm

Pepper1 wrote:me either, hard to swallow the gas expense to drive down there if not many birds, thats why I want the stats

I'm dealing with the final weeks of fall term. Not much flexibility in my schedule to fit in a hunt at the moment....oh well.
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby gunner1973 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 7:44 am

they aint nothing good to look at either
gunner1973
hunter

Postby Pepper1 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:28 am

slight improvement .... #10 did well again

now what water we get is gonna freeze, need a good old fashioned Pineapple express
Pepper1
hunter

Postby gunner1973 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:36 am

as long as its better by jan 4th i will be happy happy happy
gunner1973
hunter

Postby Pepper1 » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:21 pm

gunner1973 wrote:as long as its better by jan 4th i will be happy happy happy
December 11 works for me, LOL , lookin COLD
Pepper1
hunter

Postby gunner1973 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 5:13 pm

Pepper1 wrote:
gunner1973 wrote:as long as its better by jan 4th i will be happy happy happy
December 11 works for me, LOL , lookin COLD

how did you do on your hunt?
gunner1973
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:43 pm

Probably watched water freeze over
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby gunner1973 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 3:41 pm

BOY THE WORST YEAR IVE EVER SEEN OUT THERE , THEY SURE DROPPED THE BALL ON THE SO CALLED WILDLIFE MANAGEMENT AREA LOL LAST 2 HUNTS HAS PRODUCED 5 BIRDS? LMAO GOOD JOB
gunner1973
hunter

Postby dhunt » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:25 pm

Been checking these forums periodically for years, figured it was time for my first post.

Went out to fern yesterday, was there from about 3 - dusk. Saw at least 300 big birds in the off-limits pond in west coyote. Near dusk I drove over to east coyote --- at least 150 went down in east coyote to spend the night. I thought the numbers from Wednesday would be huge after seeing that. Only possibilities:

1.) Ducks are smart and know that the big holding pond on west coyote is off limits to hunting. They leave east coyote early early to get over there and avoid getting shot.
2.) Those hundreds of ducks I saw just arrived Wed afternoon, or drastically altered their behavior just yesterday
3.) Everybody who hunted can't shoot worth a crap :wink:

I'm guessing its not 2 or 3. Drive out to Neilson rd by east coyote and watch em all go down just before dusk, there were probably close to 200.

The ducks are there. Probably at least 500 big ducks if not more, and thousands of geese. Seems like that's pretty decent wildlife management -- they just know where not to go to avoid getting shot.
dhunt
hunter

Postby gunner1973 » Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:51 pm

no that just means there is a body of water to roost on and thats everywhere
gunner1973
hunter

Postby dhunt » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:44 pm

gunner1973 wrote:no that just means there is a body of water to roost on and thats everywhere

Ok. Name a body of water that has more ducks and geese on it right now, per area, than fern ridge. Certainly not where I hunt. Certainly not the willammette, any of the lakes within a 2 hour radius, the mckenzie, or the siuslaw.
dhunt
hunter

Postby dhunt » Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:56 pm

Not tryin to pick a fight ;) I was just out there yesterday though and haven't seen that many birds in a long while. I think I've scouted everything within a 2 hour radius, more birds at fern than anywhere else, but that's the same as always. I don't hunt there though, too hard to consistently kill birds with that many people around.

This year has been a slow migration, last week shot limits of almost all teal (our first limits of the year....although we should have had one opening day and the weekend it froze, if we were better shots). Teal around in January means the big ducks are just late
dhunt
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:37 pm

Ducks used to be scattered all over Coyote unit and we would flush them walking to the blind. Now that all the blinds are all high and dry and the birds just buzz by. You might be able to do well pass shooting but thats about it.
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby gunner1973 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:55 am

dhunt wrote:Not tryin to pick a fight ;) I was just out there yesterday though and haven't seen that many birds in a long while. I think I've scouted everything within a 2 hour radius, more birds at fern than anywhere else, but that's the same as always. I don't hunt there though, too hard to consistently kill birds with that many people around.

This year has been a slow migration, last week shot limits of almost all teal (our first limits of the year....although we should have had one opening day and the weekend it froze, if we were better shots). Teal around in January means the big ducks are just late

talking to the fern ridge guys , they told me that , they didnt flood this yeare due too lack of funding to run the pumps and didnt plant the normal due too lack of funding , i asked , well what about all the money we spend on all the licensing and tags and reservation hunt apps we pay for? of course didnt have an answer for that , there is alot of birds there , there has been a weird migration , but if you look at last couple yrs stats out there , the hunting was decent , now that they didnt flood and didnt feed , the ducks are just passing by it , who want to pay for a res. hunt when your odds are just the same if not better on the other side of the highway ??
gunner1973
hunter

Postby gunner1973 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 12:05 pm

last year , on the reserv. side , on no days except for the youth hunts ,was there less than 20 birds killed every hunt , even on the days that not all the blinds were filled , so to me i just cant see how the birds all the sudden from one year to the next automaticly "got smart" to avoid hunters , looks like to me , this year ,they just want to sit on the water at night,cause there is nothing else there for them ,
gunner1973
hunter

Postby dhunt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:39 pm

gunner1973 wrote:last year , on the reserv. side , on no days except for the youth hunts ,was there less than 20 birds killed every hunt , even on the days that not all the blinds were filled , so to me i just cant see how the birds all the sudden from one year to the next automaticly "got smart" to avoid hunters , looks like to me , this year ,they just want to sit on the water at night,cause there is nothing else there for them ,

Every time I have driven by west coyote during the day, there are 400+ ducks. Talked to some guys at east coyote yesterday, and they've seen the same thing. Anybody else drive by and look?
dhunt
hunter

Postby dhunt » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:49 pm

gunner1973 wrote:
dhunt wrote:Not tryin to pick a fight ;) I was just out there yesterday though and haven't seen that many birds in a long while. I think I've scouted everything within a 2 hour radius, more birds at fern than anywhere else, but that's the same as always. I don't hunt there though, too hard to consistently kill birds with that many people around.

talking to the fern ridge guys , they told me that , they didnt flood this yeare due too lack of funding to run the pumps and didnt plant the normal due too lack of funding , i asked , well what about all the money we spend on all the licensing and tags and reservation hunt apps we pay for? of course didnt have an answer for that , there is alot of birds there , there has been a weird migration , but if you look at last couple yrs stats out there , the hunting was decent , now that they didnt flood and didnt feed , the ducks are just passing by it , who want to pay for a res. hunt when your odds are just the same if not better on the other side of the highway ??

Ah didn't see this. Interesting, because end of the pheasant season we were walking through water as the pumps were running...
dhunt
hunter

Postby Honk-n-quack » Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:39 am

I drive by the refuge pond heading into town and back to fern ridge later and I allways see ducks swimming and flying around in the refuge pond. I never see big flocks come down into the coyote unit at all
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby gunner1973 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:52 am

my whole point to this rant is , we put in for res. hunt with the hopes of a better hunt than public land , thats why we spend the time any money to do this , and it irritates me that it has fallen way short this year , where did all that money go? because it didnt go into that area , if you pay for a concert, you expect a concert.......
gunner1973
hunter

Next

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting