young new duck hunter hoping to find a mentor.

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

young new duck hunter hoping to find a mentor.

Postby jimplaxco » Sun Dec 15, 2013 9:32 pm

Hey everyone I'm new here to the site I'm 22 I love here in portland. I just recently started to pursue duck hunting after about 6 years of talking about doing it. One day I was talking about it with a older veteran friend of mine who has a brilliant service dog (the main reason why we decided to do it) cause we knew we could get her to retrieve the ducks. So with a day notice I was loaned a shotgun by my father in law and went hunting at sauvie island. I killed zero ducks haha. I shot a cuot I belive they are called kind kneck big beak all black. I have now learned to identify ducks but that was about 3 weeks ago I work 40hours a week so I can only go on the weekend. But I am having no luck at all probably because of my lack of skill and knowledge but I keep going Its like when I was a kid the night before x-mas morning it's hard to sleep because you are so excited. I love it even though I have yet to be successful. But I am really hoping there is a experienced knowlgable waterfowl hunter who would be willing to take me under his wing and show me the ropes to pass down some knowledge to the next hunting generation. I will provide all my own stuff duck calls, shotgun, ammo ect.I even have some decoys that I can bring. I'll haul all the gear any of that I don't care place the decoys all the grunt work for you just tell me how and pass down some knowledge. I do not have a lot money I cannot afford to pay someone to take me out hunting and pay them to teach me. Please if someone is interested I would be ecstatic to tag along to your hunts with you. It would be very meaningful to me. Please contact me through the website if you are interested. Or jimplaxco@Comcast.net
jimplaxco
Newb

Re: young new duck hunter hoping to find a mentor.

Postby jimplaxco » Wed Dec 18, 2013 7:49 pm

No takers I see. Can anyone Mabry give me some tips on hunting sauvie island. Which station north east west? Best blinds? Any experience is much much appreciated.
jimplaxco
Newb

Postby blackrock » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:18 pm

I'd take you out buddy, but we live a long ways away in Idaho. Get to the eastern Oregon border sometimes. Good luck finding a new hunting partner! Anyone?
blackrock
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:59 am

If you ever make it over to Central Or let me know I would be willing to take you out on a hunt.
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby jimplaxco » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Thanks blackrock of I'm ever put that way during season I might send you a message. And thank to you aswell webfootslayer I just might have to take you up on that one day.
jimplaxco
Newb

Postby blackrock » Thu Dec 19, 2013 8:57 pm

Jim, I admire your enthusiasm. Have confidence and stick with it. It's great to go with a more experienced hunter, but I'm sure you can learn a lot on your own in the meantime. I'm not sure, but I think Sauvie is a tough place to begin, probably competition and birds that have been shot at. You might try to see what most other guys are using for decoy spreads and try something different. If they all have 2-3 dozen decoys out, try using only 6-8 and a jerk cord for movement. Also, don't call much, especially as you learn. I shot ducks today, and was mostly silent. The other thing is when scouting, look for where the birds want to land. If possible set up there or a place like that. Remember that a successful day is any day spent out enjoying the outdoors! Good luck buddy......
blackrock
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Thu Dec 19, 2013 11:12 pm

Sauvie isn't that hard.
1. Read the regs.
2. Ask the odfw guys at the check station for advice.
3. Be aware of your surroundings -- know where other hunters are in relation to you and be considerate.
4. Don't call too much, and only shoot if you REALLY think you can hit the bird.

More spots on the east side. But more hunters too.
North end is alot of walking. I'd start out in the daylight with minimal gear just to get the lay of the land.
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby jparadis » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:25 pm

Jim,,

I am new to the area, but no dummy when it comes to waterfowl, I have posted pictures on the 2013-2014 pic forum. Get ahold of me and we can arrange something!

-Josh
jparadis
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting