fern ridge blind hunts

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

fern ridge blind hunts

Postby gunner1973 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:52 am

dont look like the blind hunts are doing very good , need lots of water or it aint gonna get any better
gunner1973
hunter

Re: fern ridge blind hunts

Postby Honk-n-quack » Sat Dec 21, 2013 1:16 am

I cant belive how p--s poor the hunting at fern ridge has been compared to last year
Honk-n-quack
hunter

Postby Echospartan » Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:57 pm

It's ridiculous blind #8 has yet to shoot even a single bird this season!
Pull 'em outta the sky!
Echospartan
hunter

Postby jandh77 » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:53 am

It's because of how dry the summer and fall were. They just haven't been able to flood the area to bring in the ducks. We need some rain! And lots of it.
jandh77
hunter

Postby sprigkillerII » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:56 am

Sooner or later some of the blame has to be placed on refuge management, they had the ability to pump water before the lake level dropped, they chose not to because they thought it would rain, which it does on most years. The public side of the refuge is 80% dry. It's by far the worst year in the last 10 that I have been hunting out there. Sauvie Island is also a state wildlife area that gets all the money, very few improvements have been made at Fern Ridge over the last several years, they use to plant food on the public side, and kept the high grass cut or tilled. This year they did till one impoundment which is now a dry field because of lack of rain, even if it were flood they tilled under the high spots where you could of set a blind up. It's seems like they could care less about the quality of the hunting out there, let's not forget that the refuge is funded by hunting license fees, duck stamps and ammo tax. An effort should be made to expand the areas to hunt so people can spread out, My last hunt I had two different groups of people set up 50 yards in front of my spread! How is one supposed to shoot safely in conditions like that? Sorry for the rant, but I feel better now.
sprigkillerII
hunter

Postby gunner1973 » Mon Dec 23, 2013 7:55 am

yes i hunted way out in the lake sunday, and there was some small bunches of birds at first light but then nothing all day , pretty sad waste of time
gunner1973
hunter

Postby Echospartan » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:38 pm

sprigkillerII wrote:Sooner or later some of the blame has to be placed on refuge management, they had the ability to pump water before the lake level dropped, they chose not to because they thought it would rain, which it does on most years. The public side of the refuge is 80% dry. It's by far the worst year in the last 10 that I have been hunting out there. Sauvie Island is also a state wildlife area that gets all the money, very few improvements have been made at Fern Ridge over the last several years, they use to plant food on the public side, and kept the high grass cut or tilled. This year they did till one impoundment which is now a dry field because of lack of rain, even if it were flood they tilled under the high spots where you could of set a blind up. It's seems like they could care less about the quality of the hunting out there, let's not forget that the refuge is funded by hunting license fees, duck stamps and ammo tax. An effort should be made to expand the areas to hunt so people can spread out, My last hunt I had two different groups of people set up 50 yards in front of my spread! How is one supposed to shoot safely in conditions like that? Sorry for the rant, but I feel better now.

This ^^^ Makes me not want to hunt FR any more, I might end up dishing out the cash and joining a club nest season so I can have some good hunting, and shoot at ducks AND those darn geese that always seem to come so tantalizingly close.
Pull 'em outta the sky!
Echospartan
hunter

Postby gunner1973 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:00 am

Echospartan wrote:
sprigkillerII wrote:Sooner or later some of the blame has to be placed on refuge management, they had the ability to pump water before the lake level dropped, they chose not to because they thought it would rain, which it does on most years. The public side of the refuge is 80% dry. It's by far the worst year in the last 10 that I have been hunting out there. Sauvie Island is also a state wildlife area that gets all the money, very few improvements have been made at Fern Ridge over the last several years, they use to plant food on the public side, and kept the high grass cut or tilled. This year they did till one impoundment which is now a dry field because of lack of rain, even if it were flood they tilled under the high spots where you could of set a blind up. It's seems like they could care less about the quality of the hunting out there, let's not forget that the refuge is funded by hunting license fees, duck stamps and ammo tax. An effort should be made to expand the areas to hunt so people can spread out, My last hunt I had two different groups of people set up 50 yards in front of my spread! How is one supposed to shoot safely in conditions like that? Sorry for the rant, but I feel better now.

This ^^^ Makes me not want to hunt FR any more, I might end up dishing out the cash and joining a club nest season so I can have some good hunting, and shoot at ducks AND those darn geese that always seem to come so tantalizingly close.

ya its pretty sad out there , birds just dont want to be there
gunner1973
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting