Need Sauvie Island Advice

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Need Sauvie Island Advice

Postby greenheadgunner » Sat Feb 12, 2005 11:33 pm

I hunted Sauvie Island for the first time this year (10 times), both eastside westside and north unit. This is my second year duck hunting.
I'm hooked like you wouldn't believe.
I want to know everything there is to know about hunting ducks on Sauvie Island. Mostly what blinds are best (or roam units...and where to go in each roam unit) is what I want to know...but also how to set decoy spreads in the different locations.
Also, any info on duck hunting Deer Island would be nice. Is it public? Good hunting?
Gimme ducks or gimme death.
greenheadgunner
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Mon Feb 14, 2005 1:55 pm

Gunner - see my response in the "other" Sauvie thread.

-Ed
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

thanks for the advice

Postby greenheadgunner » Mon Feb 14, 2005 6:50 pm

Swamp- thanks for that. I'll keep all that in mind.
I didn't really like Holman Point's blind set up, but the day I hunted it I shot 6 gw teal.
The only thing that sucks is if you dont get one of those good Mud Lake blinds, it seems like its hit or miss.
How bout Crane or North Crane...whats that like?
Gimme ducks or gimme death.
greenheadgunner
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:27 am

crane shoots good from time to time, north crane isn't worth the trip as far as i am concerned.

sounds like you know all you need to know about the westside already though...it's all about the magic "chip". there are about 5 blinds out there that you can go out expecting to have a good hunt on. the rest are, as you said, hit or miss.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting