CA. duck hunter

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

CA. duck hunter

Postby yellowlabhunter » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:26 pm

Hey there gentlemen from the north....Happy New Year. I hunt in north Cali, near the rice country. I was wondering if you guys are seeing any new birds, or what is the story? It has been bad here gents! The worst season I have seen in years. Let me know what you guys are seeing and thinking. Has it been that bad for you? The forecast is beach weather here. Thanks. Be well.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Re: CA. duck hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:29 am

The bird numbers have gotten progressively lower during the season over the last few years in Central Oregon.Seems most of the guys up north in Washington are having stellar seasons.Need weather and water to get the birds pushed down.
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby 60's hunter » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:54 am

Hey Dave------also this season with that extreme cold front that came through up here, our peak migration happened very quickly-----it has been a funny year this time around.
60's hunter
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Thu Jan 02, 2014 4:58 pm

I am located in NW Washington and the hunting has been very good. Limiting the group on every hunt. Typical hunts last under 3 hours or 15-45 minutes solo. I have seen lots of fresh birds, but also seen a good migration back up to the Fraser Valley in B.C. The salt up here has also been full of birds.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby Huskies12 » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:08 pm

I was impressed with the number of birds still up in the Skagit Valley (WA)...mallards, pintails and snow geese ( and swans). Did not have the opportunity to hunt, just bird watched.
Huskies12
hunter

Postby h2ofowlr » Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:33 pm

We hunted this evening. Not sure where they were all coming from, but we shot quick limits. Big flocks coming in and we were done in 30 minutes.
Cut Um!
Real ducks don't have a competition sequence they follow! Hint, hint!
h2ofowlr
State Moderator

Postby gunner1973 » Fri Jan 03, 2014 11:03 am

been hit and miss in the valley in oregon , some days see new birds then next day there gone , pretty crappy year by the numbers
gunner1973
hunter

Postby yellowlabhunter » Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:00 am

Thanks guys for your responses. I was curious and hoped for a better outlook. Its bad here....really bad...last year was bad....this year is worse! What to do? Be well.

Dave
yellowlabhunter
hunter

Postby Utter chaos » Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:43 am

In grants pass area unlessur on the river wich i havent been since i dont have a boat its been terrible an seems the cold front we had pushed all the locals out an only a few migrators stayed since we have no water its really bad. Even our geese numbers are down from 400 or so at the honey hole ranch to 100 an they a broke up into a few different groups feeding an roosting in different places.
Utter chaos
hunter

Postby dhunt » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:31 pm

Central Willamette valley, public land on a big "corridor"....

For the last 4 weeks or so we've shot mostly buffs, couple of wigeon, ringneck, mallards. Last weekend we limited on teal and a pair of mallards by 10am. Lots and lots and lots of teal, which means the big ducks are still north of us. Last weekend we saw more mallards than we've seen all year, probably 6 groups total (with fog limiting our view to about 200 yards), so they're coming. Will see how Saturday goes, but seeing 500 big ducks at fern ridge yesterday gives me hope that the teal have moved on and mallards have decided to come.

What to do? Move north :hammer: Or better yet, get DFW to start and end the season later. It never gets good (unless you count having to go to 10 different spots to have 10 good shoots of residents "good") until Thanksgiving.
dhunt
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting