Swamppuppy- lower Columbia?

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, njonesy_07, Oregon Honker

Swamppuppy- lower Columbia?

Postby greenheadgunner » Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:12 pm

You wrote:

i hunt the lower columbia river in a large area about 10 miles upriver from the ocean. though i don't normally target divers specifically, it offers some of the premier diver hunting in this part of the country. Scaup by the thousands winter here and with relatively little hunting pressure they tend to decoy easily. Canvasbacks are in good supply as are a myriad of other diver species.

Do you have to use a boat to hunt this area or can you set up a blind on the bank? Is it public? Where exactly do you go?
Also, where is the Lewis and Clark hunting area? Any info on it?
Gimme ducks or gimme death.
greenheadgunner
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:24 am

where i go is the Lewis and Clark Refuge system. it is 100% public (there are a few refuges that are off limits to hunting or other public access, but they are marked) and is boat only hunting. most people access the area via the John Day boat launch. do be careful as the area is all tidally influenced and the water conditions can change drastically from calm to very rough in a very short time. a good working boat capable of handling rough water, knowledge of the area, and proper safety equipment is highly recommended.

there is another Lewis and Clark park system that people hunt. it is up the river aways just past gresham/troutdale. i don't know much about it, but i know that it is public hunting and i am pretty sure it offers walk-in access.

make sure you get in touch with me before the upcoming season....we'll set up some times to get you out there. :thumbsup:
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting