Spring Turkey

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

Spring Turkey

Postby Swamp Puppy » Thu Feb 24, 2005 2:31 pm

anyone out there hunt these things? i never have, but i am thinking about giving it a shot this year if i have the time.

so, any experienced turkey hunters out there that care to point a rookie in the right direction.....i'd be grateful for any advice you could give.
Friends Don't Let Friends Shoot Mossbergs.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby newbiewaterfowler » Thu Feb 24, 2005 8:43 pm

Yeah i love hunting Turkey.Tip 1 Scout.Tip 2 Scout and more scout.You need to find them then watch there pattern,turkeys r creatures of habit.Oregon is messed up when it comes to Turkey we start a late season and most toms are henned up and in my experience it hard to call a tom when there henned up so what i do is ambush them.I watch them to see where the are at what times and sit and wait .I've already been watching and have allready seen them henning up.I have my tom allready picked out. :yes:
newbiewaterfowler
hunter

Postby jmike » Fri Feb 25, 2005 1:40 am

ed...your wife must be a gem ....new baby and you still have time to hunt.......better get the turky at safeway...save your hall passes for next fall .............iwas over cruising at "refuge" , saw a post that 3.5 might be lookin for a duck boat..? any truth to that ..?....i am looking to upgrade to a larger one , so i will be selling mine this year ........its a great boat / blind....let me know and i will tell ya all about it ...thinking about 3500 bucks , boat, blind, motor , trailer.....mike
dont shoot till there feet are down
jmike
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:15 am

yeah, wife is a gem. she actually supports my hunting and encourages me to go whenever possible.

i am in the market for a boat. i would like to get one this summer, but a few things have to happen before i can get the wife to sign off on the "Request For Boat" approval form. lol.

i am after something in the 14-17 foot range with fairly high sides. motor size isn't as important as reliablity (as long as it can move itself against a hard outgoing tide that is...lol). i need to be able to haul 2 people + gear + dog(s) in the types of water conditions that are normally found on the lower columbia river.

Newbie - yeah, i've got a place in mind, but unfortunately i can't scout it as much as i would like. maybe you can "road map" a couple of birds for me after you shoot yours. LOL!!! :thumbsup:
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby newbiewaterfowler » Fri Feb 25, 2005 2:49 pm

Road map,shoot I'll take ya,i found a spot that has about 75 turkeys and after we're done hunting the owners of the land want to trap them and relocate.The landowners said we can hunt them first.
newbiewaterfowler
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:48 pm

heck, that's a deal. where abouts do you live? just curious how far of a dirve i've got to look forward to. ha ha.
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Postby newbiewaterfowler » Sun Feb 27, 2005 2:24 pm

Eugene
newbiewaterfowler
hunter

Postby Swamp Puppy » Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:38 pm

are you serious about hooking up for a turkey hunt? i am willing to drive down there if you want to hook up a rookie. maybe we can "swap a hunt" and i'll put you up and take you out for the zone 1 duck opener down on the lower columbia river. it's a fun time with a lot of limits.

drop me a PM and let's figure this out.

:thumbsup:
Swamp Puppy
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting