Sauvie Island

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

Sauvie Island

Postby jparadis » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:29 pm

Heys guys, im new to the area and was looking into Sauvie for next year. I was wondering if anyone could help teach me about the island itself, and more importantly let me know what areas you can hunt w/o a dog or boat, if there is any. Any help is greatly appreciated!

-Josh
jparadis
hunter

Re: Sauvie Island

Postby jparadis » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:30 pm

Hey*
jparadis
hunter

Postby Tealer » Sun Feb 16, 2014 7:40 pm

You don't need a boat. Head out to the east and west side check stations and they will give you a run down.
Widmer Bros Prostaff
Former Hostess Prostaff
WizzBang Prostaff
Tealer
village idiot

Postby Jim Atlas » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:39 am

Don't NEED a dog for most of it either. Wonder around it this spring/summer after they open it back up to help get a lay of the land. That'll make it easier to ask the "right" questions of the check station folks.
It's only sky busting if you miss...
Jim Atlas
hunter

Postby 60's hunter » Tue Feb 18, 2014 12:02 pm

I agree with Jim----Information & maps are available on the net & youtube & then get out there around late April.
Be patient and give yourself a few season's to really learn when & how to hunt it.
60's hunter
hunter

Postby QH's Paw » Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:32 pm

Just one thing you need to realize. Yes, you can hunt the island without a boat or dog but, if you hear people talking about high water, take that as a warning. Even when it is not high enough to require a boat, it may be high enough you'll need a dog or alternate type of retrieval. There are also some units with deep mud that you can sink pretty bad in. I know of at least one hunter that was rescued by a helicopter and his waders were left on the bottom when they pulled him out.
Generally, the ODFW staff will tell you if you need a dog for a particular spot. On the westside, I've seen them deny a hunter a spot because they had no dog in higher than normal water.
Save a Salmonid, shoot a sawbill
QH's Paw
hunter

Postby 60's hunter » Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:00 pm

You got that right QH----you can be limited without a boat or dog. I call one lake that I hunt now & then " the glue pit "----
enough said. :smile:
60's hunter
hunter

Postby jparadis » Wed Feb 19, 2014 3:21 pm

Thanks for all the help boys! You all are good people. New Yorkers could take some lessons from you guys!
jparadis
hunter

Postby Webfootslayer » Wed Feb 19, 2014 7:36 pm

Not everyone like Q and 60's there are quite a few people on here that will irritate the crap outta ya if ya feed into it just ignore them and go on some will help some wont just leave it at that and ignore insults.If ya ever have a question for hunting in the desert over here in the center part of the state feel free to hit me up.
Webfootslayer
hunter

Postby Jim Atlas » Wed Feb 19, 2014 8:58 pm

I like to think I'm pretty nice too.
It's only sky busting if you miss...
Jim Atlas
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting