Duck Hunting Forum banner

Oregon Turkey

2K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  QH's Paw 
#1 ·
So, i got permission to 1000 acres over in Dufur that i can turkey hunt. I got really lucky when moving here and had a connection that hooked me up with his family farm. Where i come from i turkey hunt lots of hardwoods, and lots of corn fields. So Oregons landscape is totally new to me. Ive yet to check the farm out. Im waiting for a good weekend to go over and look around seen its 2 hours from me. On google earth it looks like 800 of it is high desert land, as well as another 200 of orchards i believe. I didnt know if anyone has had success in the Dufur area, or any success in high desert regions. I was also looking into the white river unit just as an alternative, if anyone can give me information on that. It seems like turkey are very hard to come by. All ive shot is easterns, so id love the opportunity to shoot a rio, or merriam. Judging on the population and limited places, thats not going to be so easy! Any help is much appreciated. Sorry to post this on a duckhunting forum, but i figured alot of you do some turkey hunting.

#2 ·
Just from the description you gave i would concentrate in the area around the orchard and the benches/ridges around there.Seeings as how you have permission i would take landowner more than likely he'll tell ya where to start some love em as pets orthers hate em like pests. Best of luck

#3 ·
Roseburg is Oregon's turkey capital. Colville is Washington's turkey capital.
I've never hunted Dufur area for turkey but, there should be some over that way.
You are going to find out in scouting that having permission on good land is the biggest part of the game. If the land you already have has turkey I'd definitely go with that for your first season. If nothing else, you might end up with a good dove hunting area for the fall, before duck opens.
Good luck! :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.