Looking for a Chocolate lab pup

A place to gain knowledge about Oregon duck hunting. Share your strategies here. From hunting on the Columbia river delta and Pacific Ocean to the open plains of eastern OR.

Moderators: Tealer, Oregon Honker, njonesy_07

Looking for a Chocolate lab pup

Postby mainman » Sat Mar 29, 2014 6:50 pm

I am in the market for a chocolate lab pup. This will be my first gun dog and am looking for a good breeder I live in ontario oregon and am willing to travel. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Stick and stay and make it pay
mainman
hunter

Re: Looking for a Chocolate lab pup

Postby 60's hunter » Sun Mar 30, 2014 11:38 am

Hey first timer--------Me too. This will be my first season with my golden & I've been duckin since '69. Never too late !
Well, I've had enough dogs to know that the care you take in picking from the right gene pool, will save you many headaches latter in dog health, personality & performance. I would choose a pup with a strong connection to the original gene pool that the breed came from, like England & Scotland. Off hand I would look into Wildrose Kennels & Milner's Duckhill Kennels.
Good luck, Build a strong relationship & be patient with your dog & good things will happen.
60's hunter
hunter

Postby labsforme » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:07 am

60's hunter you really need to do research on who your promoting. There have been many negative discussions re those who you have mentioned based on fact not advertising.
Mainman, There are very good litters advertised on retrievertraining.net. All of the litters there have to post health clearances.
Diane Morley at Merganser near Eugene breeds chocolates. Also look at Pirate's, FC/AFC Land Ahoy, website for breedings.
If you have any questions PM me.

Jeff G
labsforme
hunter

Postby 60's hunter » Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:55 am

Couldn't agree with you more------I wasn't aware of any bad reviews. That's why I said " look into them " ---I'm not promoting them in any way.
60's hunter
hunter

Postby Ryan Hill » Tue Apr 01, 2014 8:29 pm

If you're not dead set on a chocolate and are willing to get a yellow or black, I got a great black lab from Kinnaman's Retrievers in Sisters. I haven't progressed her as far as I'd liked to have by now, but I'm a first time hunting dog owner and that's of course at my fault and not hers. His dogs are awesome though and his males have their Master Hunter title, (I think he has two and I think both have this title). Both parents are his depending on litter, and they were both on site when I picked up my girl. He might have chocolates on occasion. His name is Jeff and you can mention my name, I imagine he'll remember me.
Ryan Hill
hunter

Postby blackrock » Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:32 am

My advice would be to contact a premier trainer and get the name of a kennel or breeding he/she recommends based on your intended use, budget and experience or situation. I struck out on my own, drove to Colorado in a blizzard and ended up with a pretty nice dog, but my trainer didn't find her that easy to work with. He trains some of the top dogs in the west, and I think next time I'm going to him for advice! Also, I don't want to start a crap storm, and I'm no expert but it appears most of the best labs are black or yellow.......
blackrock
hunter

Postby labsforme » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:08 am

Premier trainer for Field Trials? Hunt Tests? Most are busy training. It would be difficult to get them to answer a question about a puppy unless your are a potential client.
To find a quality puppy look for quality parents. Health clearances ( hips, elbows, eyes, EIC clear or carrier are ok, and CNM clear or carrier are ok). For me minimum AFC sire with dam at least SH with Qual placements or JAMs. FT dogs are behind probably 95% of HT dogs , have to be birdy and trainable to get there.
As far as brown dogs go ( I have all black) you might look up a mutt called Ammo, FC/AFC, CFC/CAFC Wings Over An Answered Prayer. Many good chocolates out there.

Jeff G
labsforme
hunter

Postby mainman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:50 pm

has anyone on here heard of snake river retrievers?
mainman
hunter

Postby labsforme » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:03 pm

Went to their website.The one stud I looked at was well bred, had an MH,so proven and titled.Health clearances.None of the dams for their pups are titled that I saw,so so at best pedigrees.At least have health clearances.A little much for non titled dam.The female makes more of what the pup will be overall.Look for something better unless you go look and really like the pups.

Just my opinion.I have been breeding and running labs for over 25 years.

Jeff
labsforme
hunter

Postby mainman » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:14 pm

jeff where would you recomend taking a look? Im not 100% sold on a chocolate just like the way they look is all
mainman
hunter

Postby labsforme » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:51 am

retrievertraining.net lab classifieds. Do not be afraid to buy something out of state. There are a couple of litters in Idaho on RTF. Let the breeder know what you are looking for temperament wise. Even seeing a pup first hand you're only seeing a brief time. The breeder watches the whole litter.See if Ecstacy River Ranch retrievers in Ontario has any breedings going on Look up Wind River Labs in Epratha Wa too. I don't know if Lee is still breeding but she has bred good hunting dogs. Snake River doesn't sound bad. I do like that they put the time and effort into having health clearances on sire and dam.

Jeff
labsforme
hunter

Return to Oregon Duck Hunting